• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering going from Dillon 550B to 1100

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Any suggestions ? Warnings etc

I have been reloading for over 25 years and the Dillons are simply the best i have used.
    considering bitting the bully and getting the 1100 just due to efficiency
    currently loading up all my components for a good stockpile then will sell the 550B

Thanks for your comments in advance

I recently looked into the same thing before going with a 750. No doubt the 1100s are sweet but the tool heads are pricey if you plan on doing a lot of calibers. The big advantage to the 1100 I found was the ability to swage your brass right on the press which eliminates a separate step in prep. There are aftermarket swaging kits for other Dillon presses though you run the risk of tweaking the shell plate and possibly voiding the warranty. I went with the 750 as it did everything I needed and I typically don't deal with a lot of swaged brass. I also liked the availability of aftermarket "upgrades" for the 750 as I have a eye toward doing case prep for precision rifle calibers and picked up a floating tool head to play with. Still getting it set up so no opinion on the aftermarket toolhead yet.

Prices for presses on eBay have been quite high so if you clean up your 550 you may be able to sell it for a tidy gain if you chose. There is a wait on items from Dillon in general though I'm hearing the wait times aren't as bad as the estimates.

I'm sure someone with an 1100 will chime in with more info / advantages with the 1100.

Thanks so much that means a lot
    I was comparing a 750 with the shell feeder and it’s still $1000 more for the 1100
    But I do reload 5.56 and the swaging is a great option
    I’ll see what the market will bare for this on as it only have 4000 rounds on it

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    1050 / 1100 without a doubt. The swaging adapter I tried on my 550 only ended up costing me money, with no real benefit.

If anyone would know its you !!!
    Thanks for the input will get one ordered in the next week

Now just hope we can still get components !!!!!!!

Reactions: gimpy
    I’d keep the 550 for smaller runs of stuff. While it doesn’t have the speed of its bigger siblings, there’s just something about it.

I don't have one but have a lot of time running one and it is so fucking sweet! Run, right now, and order the 1100. You'll be glad you did.

the 2 machines on the right side is an 1100 and 1050 with auto drive.
    20201023_201316.jpg

Where do you guys get components from ?
    or stockpiled from earlier days
    I had some odds and ends of stuff then got lucky and found some primers at Bass Pro and traded them for what I needed. Last summer I saw the writing on the wall and bought some powder from local guys. Should get me through the next couple years.