• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering it...

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
Thinking about enlisting... Thinking about possible job specialties, etc... also, how is basic, I'm a hefty guy so I know i need to trim up, but beyond that, is it really all the 10 mile runs and stuff people talk about? Thanks in advance for any info!

Re: Considering it...

In boot, you won't see too many 10 milers. Definately daily 3-5 milers though. Don't sweat it man, it's all in the mind. IF you
're thinking about it, go see a recruiter and start the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking about enlisting... Thinking about possible job specialties, etc... also, how is basic, I'm a hefty guy so I know i need to trim up, but beyond that, is it really all the 10 mile runs and stuff people talk about? Thanks in advance for any info!</div></div>

Depends on the branch

Sounds like your leaning towards Combat arms type. You'll likely go to sandhill at benning. Its not a big deal. Yes, you will get tired (best sleep of your life) but its no big deal unless your fat and I saw plenty of wide bodies go through. You will run a lot of short distances throughout the day and some longer (5 mile) during morning PT. When I went through in the late 90's they would form the runs around fast medium and slow groups.

The hardest thing about basic for me was being surrounded by concrete the majority of the time. That and the standing for LOOOOOOOOG periods of time doing nothing. You will Hump many miles. This is NOT walking it is road marching. Walk as fast as you can without breaking into a run. For added reality place sand paper in the crack of your ass. Gold bond will become your friend.
I highly recomend an airborne contract unless you can't do pullups. Good stuff. When you get to (hopefully) a good unit, learn shit and volunteer for everything.

Hefty? If you pass the height/weight/tape test at MEPS the good old Drill Sergeants will fix that in a jiffy.

If you want a skill, dont go combat arms. Look at Small Arms Repair or something that will allow you to get out and immediately contract with KBR doing the same thing at 5X+ the pay with less bullshit if you want, or if you want to stay in and like it, then consider combat arms.

It's not easy, but it ain't hard either. You get out of it what you put into it.

What would place me as some sort of marksman, hoping that i qualified.... (what jobs/things i would need to do from the start, etc.)

Your not qualified because your not in the military. There is no marksman or sniper job that can be obtained by just joining. These are jobs earned from working your ass off and proving your not a shitbag.

I realize that.... what i meant above was, What jobs are there if when in, I did get a shot, and happened to qualify.

What is it that you want to do exactly? Marksman in the military equates to shooting people. It's not competitions and target practice.

So far, all I'm getting is you want to shoot people. Which is fine. Now just narrow it down. How do you want to do it? I far prefer from the view of a whirly-bird. See in that instance, when you're not shooting people you're enjoying the ride. Which beats the mess out of walking this-aways and that-aways with all your crap strapped on your back. See, my crap is back near my bed somewhere....

I suggest you decide what you want to spend the majority of your time doing. Because it won't be shooting. Of that you can be certain.

Reasons to join the military: Serving your country, getting money for college, or to get out of your nowhere town are all good and will work. Maybe you want to travel to a shitty place and hand out humanitarian aide? Or you like waiting around all day for something, you have no idea what, and you'd like to do it somewhere crappier then where you currently reside. Those are all attainable goals. If you just want to shoot people you will be sorely disappointed.

Dont want to join just to shoot people. Jack the reasons I am thinking about joining are as follows
1- economy is still in the shitter and this is good pay, and work.
2- training, dont know what kind of training yet, but training.
3-pay for higher education (right now choice would be engineering)
4-Service to country
5- irreplaceable life experience.

What about the domestic violence issues you said barred you from service?

I made $12.5K/yr as a lowly private, I'd scratch money off your list of reasons to join.

I was hefty when I joined, (185lbs heafty) but 3 weeks into basic (MCRD) I dropped down to 145lbs. Nuff said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found out it can be expunged since all charges were dropped! </div></div>

Good, get to work.

Been a long time since basic at MCRD 1983? Wow aging myself a little. If you were hefty you were called a chow private and they did not feed you a whole lot. Did not matter if you were thin or thick they will get you in shape. I will say one thing and that is a lot of people have passed basic. You will get stronger mind and body so just stick it out you will be a better person when you are done. Think ASVAB. Do they still have that? I used a study book and aced it. If there is a test there is a study book out there to help you brush up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been a long time since basic at MCRD 1983? Wow aging myself a little. If you were hefty you were called a chow private and they did not feed you a whole lot. Did not matter if you were thin or thick they will get you in shape. I will say one thing and that is a lot of people have passed basic. You will get stronger mind and body so just stick it out you will be a better person when you are done. Think ASVAB. Do they still have that? I used a study book and aced it. If there is a test there is a study book out there to help you brush up. </div></div>

Chow private, lol! When I was there (1999) they stuck the chunky ones into PCP (we called them Pork Chop Platoon) till they were in shape and were able to pass the tests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hefty when I joined, (185lbs heafty) but 3 weeks into basic (MCRD) I dropped down to 145lbs. Nuff said. </div></div>

Keeerist - I haven't weighed 145 since I was twelve! I was also well over 6-foot by then, but still...

I'd settle for that hefty 185 in a heartbeat now though
laugh.gif

If you mention an expunged offense to your recruiter you are still going to have it counted against you and need court documents on it. That is of course assuming your recruiter plays by the rules...

Send me a PM if you want more clarification as far as recruiting regulations go as I was unwillingly on that duty for a little while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hefty when I joined, (185lbs heafty) but 3 weeks into basic (MCRD) I dropped down to 145lbs. Nuff said. </div></div>

Keeerist - I haven't weighed 145 since I was twelve! I was also well over 6-foot by then, but still...

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd settle for that hefty 185 in a heartbeat now though
laugh.gif
</span>

</div></div>

You and be both! LOL Im at 225 now and lookin to loose some of it one way or another.

Oh thank God, I thought you going to say "buying a ring". Seriously, I know nothing about the military except that I was unable to enlist in the late 80's because my back was broken and fused after a car wreck. I do know that the only other thing I can think of that has the same job security is being a LEO. That's what I chose to do. Might want to look into that also, both require a love of duty and a high tolerence for stupid.
Patrick

Go be a Gyrene Armorer. The Marine Corps will treat you right when it comes to that 'full figure' plus size thing. Besides, being a Marine is just freakin a good thing. Yeah, I have worn a few uniforms but the old slant pocket cammies were the best ever!
Armorer is a good job, skills for when you decide to go be a civilian too, but still, all those cool weapons, yeah, Marine Armorer!

I almost was not accepted because I could not do the duck walk right. WTF? I was really trying and in very good shape but for the life of me they said I had problems with the duck walk. I had always been in good shape football wrestling track etc. They almost did not let me in. What a stupid friggin' test
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DODGE268</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh thank God, I thought you going to say "buying a ring". Seriously, I know nothing about the military except that I was unable to enlist in the late 80's because my back was broken and fused after a car wreck. I do know that the only other thing I can think of that has the same job security is being a LEO. That's what I chose to do. Might want to look into that also, both require a love of duty and a high tolerence for stupid.
Patrick</div></div>

Marine recruiter told me today that Since I have a High school diploma, I would have to join reserves, as only non graduates were being accepted to active? What gives?

I believe that recruiter lied to you. I would strongly doubt thats the case. Ill find out for you tomorrow if this is legit or bullshit.

Thanks! I was thinking marine armorer, marines was my dream for a long time. Although I would probably be at boot longer than 12 weeks, (like i said, wide body)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! I was thinking marine armorer, marines was my dream for a long time. Although I would probably be at boot longer than 12 weeks, (like i said, wide body) </div></div>

Gunny Hartman will fix that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZS6wem7OQ&feature=related

That's definitely wrong, the Marines won't even accept a GED, high school diploma is required, people without it aren't even considered. Hell, they're giving me trouble because I went to a high school outside of my district instead of the one full of all those guys that wear their pants around they're knees, showing their ass to everyone(one of the roughest schools around here)..

It's the shits when you want to serve so bad, but you can't. I crushed my lower leg right out of highschool. Took a year to recover and I walked with a slight limp for a few years.

Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground, pants on da ground
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PhOnEpHrEaK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's definitely wrong, the Marines won't even accept a GED, high school diploma is required, people without it aren't even considered. Hell, they're giving me trouble because I went to a high school outside of my district instead of the one full of all those guys that wear their pants around they're knees, showing their ass to everyone(one of the roughest schools around here)..</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Marine recruiter told me today that Since I have a High school diploma, I would have to join reserves, as only non graduates were being accepted to active? What gives?</div></div>

That is BS like nobodys business. The translation for that is that the recruiter already made his active-duty requirement for the month and is trying to get you to help fill his reserve mission.

As for the statement that the Marines don't take GEDs, that is untrue. Marines and Army are both allowed to accept a certain amount of GEDs each year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found out it can be expunged since all charges were dropped! </div></div>

What about the whole poaching/suspended license/loud muffler thing?

Go be a day laborer, there are enough criminals in the military as it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DODGE268</div><div class="ubbcode-body">both require a love of duty and a high tolerence for stupid.</div></div>

hehe, I like that, well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that recruiter lied to you. I would strongly doubt thats the case. Ill find out for you tomorrow if this is legit or bullshit. </div></div>

Maybe the recruiter just didn't want him in his beloved corps?

Maybe that recruiter knows a marine recruit when he see's one.
Maybe that recruiter is doing his job well.
Maybe, just maybe its not the recruiter who's bullshitting.
Who knows, anything is possible.

If you want to be around guns all the services will do it. And you can pursue anything once you are in. go to every recruiter and tell them what you are intrested in. I would tell you that my job is the best. I am in the AF but.. you have to be in at least 2.5 years before you can apply for my job which is more than a armorer and less than a full blown gunsmith plus lots of shooting and teaching. Dont worry about weight issues. If you can get into basic you will get through Basic. Then it is just the regular PT tests that you have to be ready for. All of the services have the same benefits. The main diffrence is living conditions and your work environment. In the Air Force and the Navy it also depends on your career field. Army and Marines you will be the same no matter the job. Talk to the recruiters and to people that are already in that arent recruiters for each service. Try to talk to newbies and second termers.

Don't do it. It's too hard. Only one kid in a thousand can be a Soldier or Marine.

When you played with those small, plastic green ARMY MEN as a child did you ever notice the IT guy, the dental tech or the air conditioner repairman? Remember the mail clerk?

I THINK NOT.

This ain't WWII when the Nation called and everyone answered the call. It's 2010. Somebody in your town has probably already served.

Through your avatar, stay online and live your dreams.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Hat turned sideways with your pants on the ground."</span>