• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Considering Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 F1. Possible alternatives?

Aster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2023
Texas
So I tried out a friends NXS 3.5-15 F1 Mil reticle. I liked that scope a lot and am now currently on the hunt for one.
But I should also check the collective knowledge to see if there's other scopes in that price range with similar specs that are as good or better.
Will be using this on a 5.56 SPR to shoot gas gun matches that range from 100-800 yards on average.

I can't argue with the above, the F1 NXS scopes were awesome but the 4-16 ATACR surpasses it, I've used both on a gas gun for DMR matches and I'd pick the 4-16. It's been reported that the glass is better in the 4-32 NX8 compared to the 2.5-20, I haven't seen either for myself so I can't confirm.

Reactions: Ledzep and simonp
Same, I haven’t shot a 2.5-20 but I’ve looked through them. I have substantial amount of time behind the 4-32. Only slightly larger, and my opinion, the 4-32 is one of NF best offerings. I like it more than the 4-20 ATACR.

Reactions: Chasing3
I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT, and it's a nice scope. A buddy of mine has an NX8 2.5-20 and 4-32 both MIL-XT, and they're great scopes for the money.

Other good options would be the ATACR F1 4-20, Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50, Kahles K318i, Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50, Razor G2 3-18x50, ZCO 420...

Reactions: oldrifleman
I sold a NXS after getting a 3.3x18 XTR3. I knew the NXS was old but didn't think there would be that much difference in the glass, XTR3 won hands down. The Razor G2 would be a good choice also.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18x50 with the SCR2 Mil reticle that I use on my 5.56 match gun.

The reticle is really fine at low power, but once you’re at 10-12x you can clearly see the subtensions and use them for holds. I’ve shot mine out to 700 on 2/3 IPSC and didn’t need to go over 14x with the FOV and clarity that the scope offers.

Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah, while they’re still great scopes, the NXS is very dated, especially the glass.

I love my F1 with NP-R1. It’s a fantastic scope but I do get some purple outlining on straight edges , etc. nothing that effects functionality in any manner, but these scopes used cost within a couple hundred of a 4-16 ATACR used, which IMO is a better scope. The 42mm is especially appealing to me on a gasser. I would still buy an F1 if it was priced right but if it started bumping up against $1600+ I’d have to consider the ATACR.

I also completely agree with @stanley_white. You’re likely going to be holding (my assumption as that’s what I do when fast shooting) so a reticle that makes sense to you, and is easy to use is probably going to be the most essential characteristic.

Same, I haven’t shot a 2.5-20 but I’ve looked through them. I have substantial amount of time behind the 4-32. Only slightly larger, and my opinion, the 4-32 is one of NF best offerings. I like it more than the 4-20 ATACR.
Would having 4-32 be overkill for a 5.56 gun?
If I'm shooting out to 800 max

Last edited:
Would having 4-32 be overkill for a 5.56 gun?
Another option I was eyeing was the Bushnell lrts 4.5-18
"Overkill" in your context is in the eye of the beholder, what may be overkill for someone else may meet your needs.

Define your requirements, including budget, then evaluate scopes that otherwise fit into them until you have enough info to make an informed selection.

Thinking out loud here
-Budget $1200
-Christmas tree mil reticle
-Illuminated reticle preferred
-Indifferent towards capped vs exposed turrets. (Assuming I'll be mainly using hold overs at matches)
-Shooting steel from 100-800 yards on the clock. (Will probably want a max of 16 or 18x for this)

Planning on a trip to Scheels so I can compare reticles in person.

Reactions: jumrobe
The XTR3i checks all those boxes but definitely look through them if possible. As mentioned they are small at the lower magnifications.

Thinking out loud here
-Budget $1200
-Christmas tree mil reticle
-Illuminated reticle preferred
-Indifferent towards capped vs exposed turrets. (Assuming I'll be mainly using hold overs at matches)
-Shooting steel from 100-800 yards on the clock. (Will probably want a max of 16 or 18x for this)

Planning on a trip to Scheels so I can compare reticles in person.
XTRIII fits this bill nicely.

I use the 3.3-18 on my 20” 5.56 match gun. I pretty much only used it on 10-14x shooting it out to 700.

The reticle is little more than an aiming point below 8x, which is fine for the close stuff (inside 200) where I don’t want all that much magnification anyway.

Reactions: 346ci
For a gas gun, get an atacr 4-16 with a reticle you like and never turn back. Nx8 2.5-20 has horrible eye box, will limit you when you need to be nimble, and the glass quality is not that great at all. 4-32 is a good optic but like you said might be too much on the top end. Atacr gives you a compact size, very usable magnification range and good weight. It has great glass and it is a very durable optic. I have one on an 18” 556 gun.

The OG F1’s are awesome, but I wouldn’t put one on a gas gun for matches. You absolutely need a tree reticle for that because some stages you simply won’t have the time to dial and most of those are going to be MD2, MD2.0, MLR, or MLR 2 reticle. They made some with H58 and H59 reticles but for some stupid reason they made the main crosshair extra thick to the point it will cover an MOA target. So in a nutshell they’re out. You’re also not going to touch one for $1200 anymore, they generally bring $1500-$1800.

I’ve owned multiple NXS F1’s and still have one. It’s going on my MWS. Extremely durable optic and absolutely nothing wrong with running one. …but at the price you’ll pay for one you’d be better off with the ATACR for a few hundred more.

But if you’re starting from scratch, the ATACR F1 4-16x42 w/ Mil-XT is the perfect fit for an SPR/DMR. Had a 4-16 but traded it for the 1-8 ATACR. If I still had it, I’d choose that over the NXS F1 for my MWS.