• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

considering reloading 308

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I now shoot only 308 using factory Black Hills and Fiocchi and am considering reloading to duplicate my Black HIlls 175 gr BTHP Match loads.
I used to use an RCBS for years for all my rifle and pistol but no longer have the equipment.
I do not want to spend hours reloading like before and am wondering if these machines like the Dillon Super 1050 will enable me to crank out large quantities of ammo of comparable quality to what I buy from Black Hills. Will I still have to spend hours with case prep and measuring and cutting and resizing or will a progressive machine like this do it all? I am using it in an AIAW for shooting at 800 to 1000 yds.

I am worried about future ammunition availability with this EPA and lead issue.
Gary

Re: considering reloading 308

There are few shortcuts to good ammo.You can make ammo as good as the Black Hills that you are shooting now,maybe even better,but you will have to work at it.The Dillon will load good ammo,but you will still have some case prep to do.Some do more prep than others,and there is a thread on here now about prepping new brass.I would recommend a good single stage press and a automatic powder despenser like a chargemaster,or use ball powder and throw your charges with a powder meausure.Progressive presses are nice,and I have one,but there are tools and methods that will speed things up more than what you used to have. Pete

Re: considering reloading 308

I used to use an RCBS Rock Chucker and RCBS dispenser and always finish each powder drop with a trickle dispenser. I used to partially size my brass after firing but I never got into case trimming and tumbling. Nor did I ever use a chronograph when developing loads.
Part of my problem now is absolutely no room to set up all the equipment to load and I do not want to do it half ass. I actually used to enjoy loading but am thinking to match the quality of a good factory load is going to take a lot of reloading equipment and time as well as taking a lot of space to do it in, such as a spare bedroom.