• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering today's political environment, would you advertise your "skills?"

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
An interesting scenario at my place today. My son came out with a group of his workplace buddies to do some shooting. They were mostly current and former National Guard members. They all had various configurations of 5.56 guns. In my opinion, their skills were nominal at best. About 300 yards was all most could handle consistently. There was one of them that could hit a few times out to 500. I have shootable range out to 900 with steel hung out to 850. They started asking me if I shot those distant targets, and what it would take for them to shoot that far. Before I opened my mouth, I caught myself. I simply played dumb by replying that I have friends that come out and shoot that stuff, and I really didn't know the details.

The interesting part was when I began asking them questions like: "If you were commanded to open fire on US citizens who were defending their own constitutional rights, what would you do?" A few of them had to think about it. I was a bit surprised at this.

Considering today's political and social climate, would you advertise any particular "skills" you might have to people you really didn't know? In my paranoid mind, I sometimes think that when the SHTF, those are the people they would come after first.

Oh hell no.

I saw what happened to concrete man and the poor Aussie that wanted gear advice.

I can't handle that level of ridicule and embarrassment. Besides, I am happy in my fantasy of thinking that I am the second coming of Steven Seagal. 😅🤣🤣🤣🤣

I rock a Quigley Ford with a IOR Pitbull on the 45 for cqb. I have been in Vietnam, Thailand, PI, Japan and Mars.... in the same day.

Last edited:
nick-bateman-martial-art.gif

I'm pretty good with a bo staff...

I’ve tried to remove every badge I can on this site just to blend in.

• Haha
Reactions: Raistlin2947
I offered a neighbor the use of my shooting range once. I thought he was cool and he knew I had some nice toys. The guy shows up with a group of people I had never met including some younger relatives of his. I just let them shoot what they brought and didn't bring out anything of mine. Afterwards, the future offer of use of the shooting range was politely rescinded. Some people just don't get it.

Instead of creating a community around you and a network of people who are trained with like skills that you may eventually trust as an ally you thought it better to play dumb? Your son just brought a bunch of people that you don't know to your property where you have steel to 850 yards. Who has that on their property if they don't shoot it? oh someone who has friends that do. If these work buddies of your son are ever compromised you think they won't mention you because you "can't" shoot that far? They'll just say you know people that do and you'll be targeted for information on your "friends." Then you post the story in an online forum that you know will be top 5 of those that get raided for member info if SHTF in a true anti-gun way. I'm not quite sure you are as paranoid as you think you are.

Here's what you need to know: 1. Your son already told those work buddies of his that you can shoot. 2. They likely already know what type and the number of rifles you have. 3. They know where you live. 4. They think you're connected to a larger group of even better shooters. 5. They've already posted pics of their range day on every social media platform they have. 6. They've already told friends of theirs that aren't your son that they have a place to shoot that goes out to 900 yards and shared their knowledge of bullets 2, 3, and 4 with them.

Here's what you can do now if you're that worried about it: 1. Move. 2. Have them over to shoot regularly. Grill up some steaks and talk to them. Find out where their minds are for current events and possible future events. Teach them to shoot to 900. Make them part of the firearms community in a deeper way. That way they're less likely to betray you should that time come. 3. Do nothing and hope what you did was right and what I'm saying is wrong.

You need a community around you. The more people we bring into the fold, the less people we have to worry about. The gun community's #1 enemy is ignorance because that breeds fear and fear breeds anti-gun actions. We can't eliminate ignorance without educating others. Hiding our skills to those who inquire is the wrong approach.

Yep, less is more. People these days seem to have this insatiable need to spead their entire lives out for inspection on social media. Those people that take a full on picture of their open gun safe and post it on Fuckbook -WTF.
Also with in person contact I've been playing it down, because I've been there so long people at work know I shoot and will ask questions sometimes. I don't go into some enthusiastic discussion about guns or ever say what and how much I have of anything. To you guys what I have is normal or insignificant, to them I'm the guy on the news who was discovered with an "arsenal ", yea he had a shotgun two handguns and a 1000 rounds of ammo (so scary🙄). Kind of a shame because we need to bring more people into the shooting sports but you don't know if their asking all those questions out of genuine interest or to stab you in the back.

Reactions: tiNdvenTFHwMdqKW
An interesting scenario at my place today. My son came out with a group of his workplace buddies to do some shooting. They were mostly current and former National Guard members. They all had various configurations of 5.56 guns. In my opinion, their skills were nominal at best. About 300 yards was all most could handle consistently. There was one of them that could hit a few times out to 500. I have shootable range out to 900 with steel hung out to 850. They started asking me if I shot those distant targets, and what it would take for them to shoot that far. Before I opened my mouth, I caught myself. I simply played dumb by replying that I have friends that come out and shoot that stuff, and I really didn't know the details.

The interesting part was when I began asking them questions like: "If you were commanded to open fire on US citizens who were defending their own constitutional rights, what would you do?" A few of them had to think about it. I was a bit surprised at this.

Considering today's political and social climate, would you advertise any particular "skills" you might have to people you really didn't know? In my paranoid mind, I sometimes think that when the SHTF, those are the people they would come after first.
Only a handful of people know my skills, talents, and abilities. I've had my ghillie suit and gear critique'd by @TheGerman

And I bench, and work in concrete.

2. Have them over to shoot regularly. Grill up some steaks and talk to them. Find out where their minds are for current events and possible future events. Teach them to shoot to 900. Make them part of the firearms community in a deeper way. That way they're less likely to betray you should that time come
Great point here. I like it.

This would alarm me more than anything I guess.

They will get the raging 3 gunners first, lol

If only I had skills to brag about, alas if I needed to shoot my barn I would need to do it from inside.

Assuming these are your sons actual friends you would probably have been ok.

I would have been like, "I shoot those with my 22LR, the far targets I shoot are on the other side of the hill."

Not really. I don't tell people i don't know well, that I have guns. I don't tell people I know well either. People have big mouths, and people like to steal guns.

Reactions: TACC and diverdon
I have no need, people know me.

I do well consistently in the local 3 gun matches, long range, and nrl22. The only thing I don't get asked about is pistol because I only really do 3 gun with it.

Anytime I'm around town I have people ask me gun questions. Keep it polite, answer what I can, point them in a good direction for answers if I don't know.

I look at it as a good thing. Nobody will be dumb enough to try breaking in to my house when I have a reputation of hitting what's in my sights quickly and repeatedly.

2. Have them over to shoot regularly. Grill up some steaks and talk to them. Find out where their minds are for current events and possible future events. Teach them to shoot to 900. Make them part of the firearms community in a deeper way. That way they're less likely to betray you should that time come.
To my question as to whether they would fire on US citizens, they all said "no." But, the fact that a couple of them hesitated and "said "..hey, orders are orders.." is what concerned me. Also, I didn't want to give anything away because "friends" and "work buddies" can be two different things. Perhaps making sure they are defenders of the taxpaying public and bringing them into the fold is the thing to do.

To my question as to whether they would fire on US citizens, they all said "no." But, the fact that a couple of them hesitated and "said "..hey, orders are orders.." is what concerned me. Also, I didn't want to give anything away because "friends" and "work buddies" can be two different things. Perhaps making sure they are defenders of the taxpaying public and bringing them into the fold is the thing to do.

Remember that they also have something at stake. If they want to keep that job, they need to be prepared to face screening where all they've said may be under review.

Reactions: Longshot231
Remember that they also have something at stake. If they want to keep that job, they need to be prepared to face screening where all they've said may be under review.
I know local law enforcement here has made it publicly clear whose side they are on, and it's not that of the feds. I hope these young guard members remember what state they live in. Governor Abbot just put the guard back on the border again.

There is nothing tobe gained by disclosing anything, especially if there is doubt whose side they may go with. If the SHTF everyone will find what they need to know soon enough

I think there is a world of difference between being braggadocio-us and instructing people willing to learn and get better.
So I would appreciate you guys keeping your knowledge of my thumb wrestling skills on the down low, ok?

In my case, many people know how good I am at the "Batting Cage". I have no firearm skills. Nuf said.
Mac(y)

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God."

People who vote for Biden always ask service members the same questions, will we kill their conservative or religious enemies after they destroy the 1st amendment?

Will we kill their gun owning enemies after we destroy the 2nd amendment?

Will we kill their political opposition after they alter all voting laws so that only they can win elections?

Will we kill people who reject pedophilia and multi=gendered sexual deviants raping and chemically altering children for their sexual pleasures?

Will we kill people who refuse to turn their wealth and property over to the state for redistribution?

People who didn't vote Biden always think because they can hit a target at 800 yds one time after 12 minutes of preparation they will somehow be more capable than the average guardsman or soldier. Never mind you weigh 350 pounds and ran PT just before you graduated high school in 1990 and haven't ran since.

Instead of worrying about what a failed, demented pedophile president is going to order the guard to do next, vote. Next time vote and get your friends to vote and demand laws requiring ID to vote. 60% of the military would not enjoy fighting Americans for the sake of Chinese funded retards in the White House and would probably do a poor job of it.

Hitler didn't fire every policeman in Germany, he just changed the laws to make robbing, killing and rounding up certain people legal and 99% of the cops gladly did it. Same will happen here, every cop you imagine is your friend will gladly arrest you when they make it legal to do so. A change in government in Germany made every Prussian aristocrat officer a servant of the NAZI party and most of them stood and toed the line. The threat of execution and the persecution of their families made soldiers stay in line as well.

The Democratic/NAZI party of America is going the same direction.

The only skills I advertise are my BBQ skills, everything else is my business. I often find those who have the most to say have nothing worth listening to. Especially if you haven’t asked them anything. We all know those guys.

Hitting a target at 850 is hard?
Depends upon the size of the target. I have a 34" plate out there which makes it under a 4 MOA target. It's a challenge for iron sight guns. I also have an 8" plate at 800. It's under a 1 MOA target, and seems to give a lot of braggarts some trouble when I tell them no lead sleds allowed.

Reactions: NoDopes
@hafejd30 said “...if we’re so “ready” to defend the constitution and we truly believe in what we preach....then what’s the difference is my house if the first or last they hit?”

^^^^This! Spot on.

You don’t negotiate with terrorists/commies

No matter what you do, they will still hate you and try to destroy you, censoring yourself or playing these games just makes you seem weak.

Throw them the bird, laugh a little, and carry on. I don’t walk on eggshells for commies

As for your situation, and say yeah I hit those, maybe fire off a round or two and show them, if they asked how I’d probably say something along the lines of “this is what one can do when one exercises their constitutional rights since childhood”

Or if you really want to have a laugh, tell them you give them some tips if they can name off the first 10 amendments to the constitution and correlate them to modern life.

Last edited:
I don’t brag about my skillz; I’d hate for somebody to come steal my Hi Point 9mm. Lord help me if they find out I have an extra box of ammo.

Lost all my skills in a recent deep sea, boat house fire...very sad.

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes