• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Considering upgrading from Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

Vargmat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2013
Sweden
Hi.

This will be my second season using my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MRAD scope. This year it sits on top of my Tikka T3 Varmint in .308win.
Last year it was mounted to my Remington 700 in 22-250rem. Anyhow.

I use my rifle for range practice and competition use, I will probably never shoot beyond 600 meters, I also use the rifle for stationary hunting like fox calling and similar.

The thing is that while I am quite happy in general with my Vortex. I am looking to upgrade to something with better glass, as I feel that the Vortex PST is a bit "cloudy" and nowhere near as crisp to look through as some of the other scopes I have been able to compare it too, like Zeiss, Meopta and Nightforce.

What do you guys suggest?

I am considering Nightforce NXS and ATACR, Kahles k624i, IOR valdada and March, maybe a Hensoldt. All in close/similar magnification range as the Vortex.

Is there something else that deserves attention?

Although not FFP the Nightforce NXS is night and day in optical quality. I stepped up from a Vortex HS and know exactly what you are referring to. The cloudiness is a lack of contrast at the higher end of mag. If you consider a grey scale with steps from white to black, the Vortex would have steps that blend into each other, giving it that "washed out" look. Its just glass quality, tuning and coatings.

Eurooptic has killer deals on some NXS right now, if you can live with SFP. Not affiliated.

Nightforce NXS Scopes

Last edited: