• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Consistency: Hornady A Tip vs Berger Hybrids

DTF370

Smartest D Student
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey guys,

I am finishing my build on a 338 Lapua Improved and I am looking at the A Tip’s and the Berger’s. I’ve done a little bit of research but I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.

Does anybody have any experience with the consistency of both bullets? I’m not as interested in the price difference or the BC difference, I’m more just looking at consistency and experience with them. They both sound like outstanding bullets, but I’m looking for some educated recommendations on the two. I’m hoping to pick a direction and start load development.

Of course with my particular caliber, My focus is ELR with good energy on target.

Thank you guys in advance.

So my hands on experience with the Atips is that they are as advertised. Bullet to bullet consistency is spot on. This was also what Gavin at the ultimate reloaded came back with. I purchased some just to “check out”. Unfortunately my rifle loves them. Side they are expensive.

berger is fantastic and I think their consistance with the jackets could be the best in the business. That being said I don’t know the up charge on the Atips is going to prove a solid Return on investment vs the Berger which are 40% less expensive

Reactions: DTF370
So my hands on experience with the Atips is that they are as advertised. Bullet to bullet consistency is spot on. This was also what Gavin at the ultimate reloaded came back with. I purchased some just to “check out”. Unfortunately my rifle loves them. Side they are expensive.

berger is fantastic and I think their consistance with the jackets could be the best in the business. That being said I don’t know the up charge on the Atips is going to prove a solid Return on investment vs the Berger which are 40% less expensive

That’s what I’ve been hearing. It seems that hornady really knocked it out of the park with the a tip (minus the price). That’s where I’m at, trying to figure out if the atip is a better bullet than Berger’s masterpiece.

In my 7 mm I found the Berger to be more consistent than the A tip but the A tip BC it pretty appealing.
Buddy just got some A tips for his 338 and I’m curious as to how they do.

Reactions: DTF370
The jump tolerance of Berger Hybrids is worth its weight in... well... bullets.

For the price of A tips, might as well spend a little more for Copper Solid Monos.

Once this gun run dies down you will see them sitting on shelves like they have been until recently. In most stores they were the only bullets availble other than some real obscure shit.

I’ve never shot copper solids, but I would imagine that they would react pretty similar to FMJ’s in terms of terminal performance, correct? I am hoping to have the ability to use this same load on game if need be.