• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes consolidating glass on multiple rifles?

kala_azar

Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Northern Virginia
So I love the USO on my 6.5 (3.2-17X, mil GAP, 0.1 mil EREK) enough that I really want to try and stick with USO/GAP/0.1 mil EREK scopes for my 300 WSM and my SPR-ish AR (both without glass at the moment...).

In recent years I've been putting a lot of effort into "matching" my stuff - all Sig DA/SA pistolas, all FN/Win CRF bolt guns, ARs all set up the same way with controls, etc. etc., and I'm much happier this way. I'm sorta trying to do the "master one gun" thing...

That said, I'll be saving for months to get there. I'm tempted to just rely on mil/mil, FFP scopes from reputable mfg like SWFA, Leupold, Vortex, etc. in an effort to save some dough.

Anybody really rigid about brand and config. matching on their scopes?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

I find it much easier for all my scopes to have same matching knobs and reticles (mil/mil) with similar reticles even if they are from different manufacturers-not too hard to do with all the choices from vendors these days. I certainly don't need all my scopes to be the same BRAND. You just need to do what works for you.

I like variety even though there are far more benefits to having just one scope. I have a Razor, SS 5-20, NXS, PST 4-16 (wife's gun) and Premier light tactical all but the NXS in mil/mil. All are on different rifles, R-700, FN SPR, Howa, Hogan H-308 and the wife has a Savage. All have different socks, AICS, XLR, Mcrees and Manners GAT. I don't have any problem bouncing around because everything is different about each system and muscle memory takes over on the range or dry fire exercises. I know lots of people like everything to match all the way through, I just like the variety and as long as you train for it should not be an issue.

Sully

I like variety even though there are far more benefits to having just one scope. I have a Razor, SS 5-20, NXS, PST 4-16 (wife's gun) and Premier light tactical all but the NXS in mil/mil. All are on different rifles, R-700, FN SPR, Howa, Hogan H-308 and the wife has a Savage. All have different socks, AICS, XLR, Mcrees and Manners GAT. I don't have any problem bouncing around because everything is different about each system and muscle memory takes over on the range or dry fire exercises. I know lots of people like everything to match all the way through, I just like the variety and as long as you train for it should not be an issue.

Sully

You make some good points. I have been thinking about getting an XLR for my 300WSM, so you could make a valid point that not all my stuff is "the same" anyway. I suppose reticles being the same would be my biggest concern, and having mil/mil...