• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contemplating a ,260 build looking for some input

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm thinking about building up one of those SPR actions from CDNN. I'll probably get the one with the 5-round hinged floor plate and get a CDI bottom metal later when I can afford it. I'm thinking I'll put a Bartlein barrel on it and either a Manners or McMillan stock for it.

What I'm unsure of is barrel length, contour and twist rate. I hear that 140gr VLD's have a BC of .600 IIRC. What would be the optimal length and rate for those. The purpose would be to shoot out to 1000yds or to the extent of the round's capabilities. This doesn't need to be a lightweight rifle but i don't want a behemoth either.

Re: Contmplating a ,260 build looking for some input

Are those action worth building on?? I have zero experience with them? Good price!! Lee

I have 2 260 remingtons

One on a Mcmillan action with a 27" Lilja 1-8 fluted barrel .875 at the muzzle strait tapper
McMillan McHail stock in woodland cammo
Wayatts extend mag box
NF rings and bases 20moa
Leupold MK4

Second on is trued Rem 700 SA
27" Brux 1-8 Hunter weight barrel .720 at the muzzle strait taper APS painkiller muzzle brake
Wayatts extended box mag
HS precsion stock
Loupold Base and rings
Horus Vision Hawk

Both pushing 140g JLK VLDs

Bergers 140g VLD has a published BC of 0.595 if you box says 0.640 then its old and incorrect.

The 140g JLK has a published BC of 0.630 but it is more like 0.617

I would go with at least a 26" barrel

Another vote for 1:8 twist and 26" or better. My 260 Ackley has a straight 1" Shilen stainless Select Match 1:8 twist, 26" length barrel and it's a nail driver with the 140 Berger VLD's & 139 Lapua Scenars. I have a new one on order almost identical with the exception of the rifling... gonna try a ratchet rifled tube this time around.

After all the reading i have done the .260 will be in my next build as well. it was really down to that or the 6.5x47 lapua .

Re: Contemplating a ,260 build looking for some input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about building up one of those SPR actions from CDNN. I'll probably get the one with the 5-round hinged floor plate and get a CDI bottom metal later when I can afford it. I'm thinking I'll put a Bartlein barrel on it and either a Manners or McMillan stock for it.

What I'm unsure of is barrel length, contour and twist rate. I hear that 140gr VLD's have a BC of .600 IIRC. What would be the optimal length and rate for those. The purpose would be to shoot out to 1000yds or to the extent of the round's capabilities. This doesn't need to be a lightweight rifle but i don't want a behemoth either. </div></div>

What is you budget? I did the complete break in and testing of the .260 Remington seen on the Jense Precision website.

cimg1509.jpg

The rifle is lightweight and very accurate (sub 1/2 MOA). I'd own that rifle today if I could afford to. If you're serious about this rifle in particular contact Jense Precision before someone else buys it first.

http://jenseprecision.com/

good luck and good shooting.

My partner and I have a pair of trued Savage 10 actions with 28" 1:8" L-W barrels and McMillan A3 and A5 Tactical stocks, Ken Farrel 20MOA bases, and Signature Zee rings. They shoot 142SMK's and 140 A-max at around 2850fps with moderate charges. They reach 1000yd with plenty to spare, and I have also shot a 24" 1:8" Savage factory .260 barrel with 139 Scenars and a very warm load very effectively at 1Km (listed as 1123yd) and 6600ft ASL.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about building up one of those SPR actions from CDNN. I'll probably get the one with the 5-round hinged floor plate and get a CDI bottom metal later when I can afford it. I'm thinking I'll put a Bartlein barrel on it and either a Manners or McMillan stock for it.

What I'm unsure of is barrel length, contour and twist rate. I hear that 140gr VLD's have a BC of .600 IIRC. What would be the optimal length and rate for those. The purpose would be to shoot out to 1000yds or to the extent of the round's capabilities. This doesn't need to be a lightweight rifle but i don't want a behemoth either. </div></div>

What is you budget? I did the complete break in and testing of the .260 Remington seen on the Jense Precision website.

cimg1509.jpg

The rifle is lightweight and very accurate (sub 1/2 MOA). I'd own that rifle today if I could afford to. If you're serious about this rifle in particular contact Jense Precision before someone else buys it first.

</div></div>

MY budget is pretty limited, I'm a full-time student and have a 30hr a week job. That's why I was looking at the SPR actions from CDNN. I have one of their PBR's that I'm about done building up right now and am happy with it thus far. I figured i could part this next rifle together as I got the funds.

I understand the whole necking up process with .243 brass. Is that how you guys are procuring your brass? If not whats the best source for quality .260 brass? Thanks for the input guys, helps a lot. This build is causing me to lose sleep lol.

I just buy .260 Remington brass at Cabela's, or splurge on .260 Remington brass made by Nosler (pre-sorted by weight) that produce great results for precision shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about building up one of those SPR actions from CDNN. I'll probably get the one with the 5-round hinged floor plate and get a CDI bottom metal later when I can afford it. I'm thinking I'll put a Bartlein barrel on it and either a Manners or McMillan stock for it.

cimg1509.jpg

</div></div>

They build weapons so fine you only need to attach the optics at one end!!
cimg1346.jpg

LOL found another pic of it, I know they prolly set this up in a pinch for pics, but come one someone had to have noticed this.
cimg1340.jpg

Some good looking work on there though,

I do appreciate the poke (no pun intended), and you are correct that the scope was for a photo op as I've stated in the webpage. Or, my guns shoot so well I only need one scope ring. ha ha. Enjoy the day.
Sincerely,
JP

Tried to shoot you an E-mail off the site, was kicked back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried to shoot you an E-mail off the site, was kicked back
</div></div>
me or KK?

I went 28" on my second one. The first one was 24" and still get 2797fps out of it.