• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contemplating a bolt gun

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
Purpose is to punch paper and maybe hunt with it; there’s a range within driving distance where one can shoot well over a mile and at some point, I’d like to try shooting to 1,000m.
Also, there are LR shooting classes within an hour I’ll take.
I’m sticking with 308.

I’d like a Barrett MRAD or AI rifle; curious if one brand is superior to another…..or should I just buy a KAC APR to complete my KAC collection?

AI is better than Barrett, 6.5 CM is better than a .308 especially shooting to 1K and beyond.
Curious what data you are using to compare Barrett and AI. Or is this just your preference because it’s what you own?

Personally, I’m partial to Barrett.

I’m sure there are loads of great companies; these are just the two I’ve heard of and can easily find.
I know that 6.5 Creekmoor and 338LM are better rounds but I’ve a ton of 308 and want to stick to common caliber. I do have quite a bit of 7mmRemMag so maybe that’s a better option than 308?

Without staying up to date with all the choices these days I would also stick with a known company that builds top notch bolt action rifles. I have an AI and love it. I can't comment on the Barrett but I would look into if the sale of the company to an Austrailian owner will affect support of what you buy if you go that route.

Reactions: lash
I’m sure there are loads of great companies; these are just the two I’ve heard of and can easily find.
I know that 6.5 Creekmoor and 338LM are better rounds but I’ve a ton of 308 and want to stick to common caliber. I do have quite a bit of 7mmRemMag so maybe that’s a better option than 308?

You can do 308.

6.5 Creed is now more common than anything, and super easy to find match ammo for at any store. It has superior long range ballistics to 308 (lighter bullets going faster with higher BC), and will stretch the distance before you run into the stability issues that come in the transonic velocity range.

338 Lapua is in an entirely different class. It's not really better until you're beyond a mile. Even then, few can shoot it well out of anything hunting weight.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Buy a AI in the px here. Save some decent $$

Even if you buy any flavor of AI with quickloc in 308 it can easily convert to 6.5 down the road with just a couple minute barrel change

If you spend the $$ on an AXMC or AXSR platform then should you want to get serious on the 1 mile range you can. You can have a bolt/barrel/mag for 308 or 6.5. Then a bolt/barrel/mag for 300/338 calibers

If your goal is 1,000 I’d personally go 6.5 over 308 for paper punching.

There’s plenty of threads comparing both here already as well. So lots of info to page through if you want

Here’s an option

Last edited:
AI is the better rifle. The QC barrel system works better, extra/replacement barrels are far more available and cost less, and the adjustability of the buttstock is better.

If you’ve got a mile range I’d buy a AXMC or AXSR in 300 WM or Norma and then add a 6.5 CM barrel and bolt and you’ll be covered.

may just be my personal feelings , but I would say do it . for the love of god get into it catch the bug and yea a 308 is wonderful fun at 1000 yards or further hearing the ring of the steel . the need to go further and further it's all a blast like reloading and tweaking your ammo till your happy with it . listening to other people curse and cus over bad shots or pulled shots it's the highlight of my week well 5 days a week and classes are great to take you never know when your going to pick up on something you did not know before . and gathering your dope ahead of time so your not behind the curve .
best of luck .

I own 5 AI's so I am not objective. The Barrett is harder to get barrels for than the AI. The barrel change on the AI is simpler than the Barrett. The only tool I use is a preset 6nm T handle torque wrench.
As for caliber choice 6.5 CM is better then .308 at 1k.

I would go 6.5 creedmoor, unless the huge pile of .308 you have is Match ammo. If it's just bulk ammo you're going to get bored immediately in a bolt gun when your bullets aren't landing where you want.

If you like spending big money once, and really want to vest into a bolt gun, consider an AI. Frankly comparing the price of an AI AT-X right now versus the cost of a custom rifle action, barrel, stock, bottom metal, the price isn't terribly different. Maybe $2,750 vs $4,000.

Depending on your budget (assuming at least $5k since you mentioned AI and Barret, and while those can be had cheaper used, they are around that or more new).....

If your hunting requires a lot of carrying the rifle and you don't want the weight of an AI or Barrett, you could get something like a Tac Ops Tango 51 Rifle.

It will likely be the best shooting .308 you'll ever find, capable of shooting distance, as well as a very manageable hunting rig.

Last edited:
Curious what data you are using to compare Barrett and AI. Or is this just your preference because it’s what you own?

Personally, I’m partial to Barrett.

Don't own either, have friends that do, just preferred the AI over the barrett. Personally I wouldn't buy either one, I'd buy another Impact action, a nice trigger and a prefit barrel. Mount it in a stock or chassis of my choice for less than either of them would cost new.

Reactions: lash
.308 doesn't have the legs to push the really high BC .30 bullets, you'll run out of steam somewhere between 8-900 meters.
Of course you can get hits out to 1k and beyond, but you are really handicapping yourself.
Both AI and Barrett is really overpriced for what you want to do, especially in the US where you can have a high end custom rifle built for dirt cheap.
You could build a really nice custom rifle for the price I have to pay for a basic Tikka T3X.

Purpose is to punch paper and maybe hunt with it

I’d like a Barrett MRAD or AI rifle

We get this same exact question at least half a dozen times per year.

Do you hunt already? If so how far do you walk with rifle in hand and over what kind of terrain? Do you know how much the rifles in question weigh?

We get this same exact question at least half a dozen times per year.

Do you hunt already? If so how far do you walk with rifle in hand and over what kind of terrain? Do you know how much the rifles in question weigh?
Yes, it hunt deer. Typical walk is about 1/2 mile and terrain is everything from unimproved dirt road to dodgy as f@ck with steep rutted atv type path, often over large rocks.
Frankly, I’ve not weighed my current setup but I’d guess it’s about 12lbs.
Looks like Barrett is out and go AI or a Custom. After looking at 6.5 ammo prices, I feel more comfortable considering that caliber.
As to a comment above, I might get ‘the bug’ and want more distance after getting into this so think caliber change capability might make sense; looks like AI might be the ticket.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Yes, it hunt deer. Typical walk is about 1/2 mile and terrain is everything from unimproved dirt road to dodgy as f@ck with steep rutted atv type path, often over large rocks.
Frankly, I’ve not weighed my current setup but I’d guess it’s about 12lbs.
Looks like Barrett is out and go AI or a Custom. After looking at 6.5 ammo prices, I feel more comfortable considering that caliber.
As to a comment above, I might get ‘the bug’ and want more distance after getting into this so think caliber change capability might make sense; looks like AI might be the ticket.

Personally I’d spend $750 for a Tikka to drag through the woods and have a separate target rifle because target rifles don’t make great hunting rifles, hunting rifles don’t make great target rifles and crossover rifles are great at neither.

Personally I’d spend $750 for a Tikka to drag through the woods and have a separate target rifle because target rifles don’t make great hunting rifles, hunting rifles don’t make great target rifles and crossover rifles are great at neither.
Thanks. I was just looking at price and weight….gonna have to sit down and really hash this out with the added intel gathered here.

Thanks. I was just looking at price and weight….gonna have to sit down and really hash this out with the added intel gathered here.

Ever deer I killed went down to an 8.5 lb Howa 1500 or a 9 lb Sako 75.

If you want to hump 12 - 16 lbs around more power to you.

@redneckbmxer24 advice is right on the money

One possibility is to buy a Origin action,a KRG Bravo stock and use prefits. Weight can be added to the Bravo as it's pretty light the way it comes.Mine with a Savage barrel and extra weight comes in at just under 17lbs and I could make it heavier.

You can also have a 16-18” 308 barrel for your AI. Just record the zero change and make that correction for hunting.

A folding ATX with 16-18” barrel would be compact enough for a pack

But as mentioned they are still heavy

This rifle I use a ton for crop damage hunting. AT with 20” 308/ZCO 527/TBAC Ultra 9/Atlas CAL Weight is 18 lbs
IMG_5841.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpeg

Reactions: Modoc and lash
You can also have a 16-18” 308 barrel for your AI. Just record the zero change and make that correction for hunting.

This rifle I use a ton for crop damage hunting. AT with 20” 308/ZCO 527/TBAC Ultra 9/Atlas CAL Weight is 18 lbs
View attachment 8242806View attachment 8242807
Jesus, that is slick.

View attachment 8242806View attachment 8242807
What Spuhr model is that? How's the bolt throw clearance?

What Spuhr model is that? How's the bolt throw clearance?
SP 6601

Lots of clearance for running the bolt. Not even close to hitting my hand on the objective

Now on 27 power I’ll scrape my thumb on that gigantic throw lever. But can still operate the bolt
IMG_5875.jpeg
IMG_5876.jpeg
IMG_5877.jpeg

Last edited:
The AT-X factory 24" barrel extends about 6-13/16" past the forend. That is about 17-3/16" of barrel flush with the end of the stock. A 16" barrel is going to be a mess. Maybe, if they put out a short upper, like they have with the AT-X AICS ...