• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Conversations

ChrisWay

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Dec 18, 2018
Pic only intended for conversation.
If you wanted to improve this (pic) what would you focus on? Ie (100y group size, standard deviation of ammo velocity, wind variation, trigger press, bullet choice, powder, brass, breath, etc etc)?

Attachments

• AD060077-2684-487D-B7F7-855E22DFDC4C.jpeg
    AD060077-2684-487D-B7F7-855E22DFDC4C.jpeg
    983.2 KB · Views: 237
For a group that size, assuming you are not in a tornado, I would focus on the fundamentals. Position, press and breathing.

Reactions: Newbie2020
If you wanted to improve this (pic) what would you focus on? Ie (100y group size, standard deviation of ammo velocity, wind variation, trigger press, bullet choice, powder, brass, breath, etc etc)?
hahaha....Ok Chris, I'll lead with my chin but only with the caveat that I'm not at all expert.

But, since this group is spread horizontally.... and assuming it was shot in short order so the wind was reasonably constant (all bets off if variable and gusty).....I'd personally look to trigger and recoil control first.

Reactions: Mike 556
I guess caliber would come into play some. Considering this is a .79/80 moa group size, it’s pretty impressive already. Is the caliber being shot more capable.

Just looking at the group, I’d have to agree with baron23 and say trigger control, and maybe look into how solid the platform/shooting position is.

It’s under half minute vertical. Based on that picture the only solid advise would be to prioritize wind reading Improvement.
Improved BC could be considered only if load data and MV were included. You didn’t give MV so chasing BC cannot be judged from picture.

The target says 1350yds......
Slight variations in wind are going to look like that.
At 100 yds it would look like a single jagged hole.

• Love
Reactions: Enough Said

If I wanted to improve that group I would move to 100 yards instead of shooting from 1,350 yards.

-Stan

The bullet has done all it can do. The rifle and shooter maybe seeing their limits come to bear.

Ah Chris.....aren't you supposed to be one half of the convo? Come in, Rangoon! ;):ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
What's the problem?
I'll take that all day! :-]
Given perfect fundamentals, I think a tiny wind inconsistency would cause this string.
Great shooting!

Reactions: Baron23
What's the problem?
I'll take that all day! :-]
Given perfect fundamentals, I think a tiny wind inconsistency would cause this string.
Great shooting!
Hi Marc - hope you are well and thriving.

So we didn’t get any sort of description of the environment surrounding shooting this group. What would you say if the assumed condition was dead still wind?

Cheers

Last edited:
Verticle says the load/bullet are good. At that distance 1 mph change is going to do more than whats going on there(guessing this is like a 6.5cm or similar). Im pretty happy going 5/5 on a ipsc at that distance and id put my ammo up with anyones. To nitpick maybe npa or parralax might help tighten it slightly but honestly outside of a tunnel thats a hell of a group.

I still think its a really good group. But if you wanted to nit pick...
Horizontal would most likely be wind... even in "dead calm" there must be some type of air movement. 0-1 or 1-2 mph change can do that.
Or cheek weld. I know when I don't pay attention and get sloppy my horizontal will open up. Very light cheek pressure might give zero to a hair of right windage, too heavy cheek pressure will push the butt right and the shots hit left.
One round high and one low could be a few feet per second at that distance. Or how the butt of the stock fits in the shoulder pocket. Slightly high or low in the shoulder could cause a shot or 2 to go off.
I still think it's a hell of a group. Good job to whoever shot it.
I've only been to 1,060, so I am envious and jealous.

Reactions: Baron23 and 357Max
What I see first is a pretty nice sub-moa group that is approximately 2.82" high and approximately 1.81" left of POA. Since the group is already sub-moa at that distance, I'd first verify that my zero was dead nuts on. If the center of that group was right on my POA, I'd be happy to just be able to duplicate that group on demand. Now if I wanted to further improve on the horizontal stringing, then, without knowing any further environmental info, I'd focus on wind calling and maybe trigger pull.

@ChrisWay Need some additional info:

- What rifle/round/bullet/velocity?
- What wind/gusts?
- How bad was mirage?
- Curious as to what magnification your scope was set to?
- Where do you put your thumb?