• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting 300 Weatherby brass to 300 win mag- is it a good idea?

InsidetheStorm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Look behind you...
I was just given a large amount (90-100) of 300 weatherby brass. Woohoo!! Unfortunately, I dont have a 300 WBY, I have a 300 Win Mag. I tried running a couple of casings through my press, and after trimming, I ended up with casings that will chamber in my rifle, but they have little indentations on the neck from compressing the shoulder. Is this a good idea? I annealed the cases, and trimmed them to my rifles spec, but I wonder if I'm wasting my time. Should I sell em off and buy the 300 win mag cases I want, of give it a go? Has anyone tried this and got decent accuracy results? Lemme know!

You'll prolly need to inside neck ream if you have Weatherby brand brass.

I think this is ill advised. Is it within the realm of possibilities: yes. Is it practical, considering the availability of 300WinMag brass: no.

Somebody out there can use the Weatherby cases, and after you modify them, they will still be somewhat questionable, nonstandard. The oil indentations on the shoulder are not a problem, they will disappear upon firing. Accuracy wise, after fireforming in your chamber, I don't think accuracy will be a concern. But, again, just because you can do it does not mean it's smart. BB

Considering the price Weatherby brass goes for, I would sell them and buy some 300WIN brass in whatever brand you desire.