• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting .308 Brass To 6.5 Cm - Necking down?

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
Any thoughts on necking down brass? I have Redding Type S bushing dies for both .308 and 6.5.

I'm not quite confident about just running the .308 brass right into a 6.5 die to neck it down in one step, even with annealing first. Is there an intermediate caliber die I can buy to neck down? I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a cheap Lee die to do the middle step.

"But why not just buy the brass, etc..." - Because I can. I have a bunch of Prvi .308 brass laying around that I won't be using for anything, so I want to give this a shot.

I am sure this has been bantered about on here before. Did you search?
Any way, IIRC, 22-250 brass was the best option for making 6.5CM.
If you don't want to use the Privi 308 brass for 308 then why would you go to all the trouble to make it 6.5CM brass?

Converting .308 Brass To 6.5 Cm - Necking down?

The issue of necking down hasn't come up in my searches, that's my main point of concern here. The methods covered in detail are on necking up from a smaller caliber.

As far as 22-250 brass, I don't care about that or any other caliber brass. I have .308 laying around, and I want to convert it because I want to convert it.

Have you run a 308 case through the 6.5 Creedmoor body die? How are you planning on trimming?

I've tried that - running a deeply trimmed .308 case right into the 6.5CM die with a fair amount of lube on the case wall. I got cases that were about right, but huge dimples in the necks. These were not lube dimples, but the way the case crushed into the die.

It seemed to me that it needed to go into an intermediate die first, but I didn't have the patience to figure out what that caliber die would have to be.

Federal brass was worst. I got fewer dented shoulders with hornady brass. I didn't bother trying to load and shoot any of it. It was an interesting afternoon's experiment, only.

If someone does come up with a recipe, I'm very interested.

You could try to find some 7mm IHMSA dies.
7mm IHMSA is basically exactly what a 7mm creedmoor would be.
Redding makes dies for it.
You are going to end up doing a lot of neck turning.