• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting a rifle to a 6.5 Grendel

gonzaga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Raton NM
Sorry guys if this has been covered before. I've tried looking it up but haven't seen it anywhere.

I've got a 16" AA Grendel already, but I'm not a HUGE fan of AR's, but I would like to just get a bolt action rifle chambered to the Grendel round. I've found a Rem .243 and I was just wondering if I could just have the barrel redone to make it work?
I've heard of some guys getting a CZ 527 308, and reworking it like that, but short of me buying another 800 dollar rifle and a 350.00 barrel change kit, I was just wondering if maybe you guys might have a suggestion from more experienced people..

Thanks,

Sorry guys if this has been covered before. I've tried looking it up but haven't seen it anywhere.

I've got a 16" AA Grendel already, but I'm not a HUGE fan of AR's, but I would like to just get a bolt action rifle chambered to the Grendel round. I've found a Rem .243 and I was just wondering if I could just have the barrel redone to make it work?
I've heard of some guys getting a CZ 527 308, and reworking it like that, but short of me buying another 800 dollar rifle and a 350.00 barrel change kit, I was just wondering if maybe you guys might have a suggestion from more experienced people..

Thanks,
The Grendel uses a smaller bolt face than the .243. There are options as to how to address this. My suggestion would be to get a PTG bolt, either one or two piece, with a ppc bolt face and mini 16 extractor. You could keep the old bolt for a future switch barrel or caliber change, or it's resale value can cover most of the cost of the new bolt.

I've been considering a Grendel bolt gun. It would be a cool little round as long as a guy respected it's limitations. It would make one heck of a close quarters calling rifle, or a medium range pd rig. Naturally, the Grendel would work for banging steel, too.

There just isnt anyone making them yet. The Grendel round isn't mainstreamed and not as popular to long range guys like the creedmoors. Of course I hear them creedmoor guns shoot lights out.