• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting AICS Mags..... need help!

KYS

BBN #1
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
Lexington, KY
I am looking for a gunsmith or machine shop that would be willing to take on a small project. I have hit a wall with my local guy and he claims he is "just to busy" to take my project on. Anyways, I need to convert some regular AICS mags to the model without the forward plate that restricts the OAL of the cartridge. I have quite a few mags that need to be done. We are all running longer 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 loads now, this is the last hurdle before we can be 100% changed over to the longer OAL cartridge.

So this is what I would need done:

1) Drill the two spot welds, cleanly.
2) Remove the inner plate.
3) Fill in the 2 holes (TIG welding)
4) Refinish the mags in Cerakote.

Thanks for any help that can be offered. Of course we would need to discuss prices before any work is agreed upon. :D

If you have problems finding someone to do this I would just try it yourself. When I did mine I drilled the holes, removed the burs with a file, found a very very thin gauge sheet of aluminum at ACE hardware and JB welded it to the interior of the magazine to block the holes I drilled. Mag has been 100% after months of use.

Why not just run AccurateMags? They function the same and don't have the plate. I understand that you already have the AI mags, but those go quick in the classifieds, as you know. I believe the AccurateMags are cheaper as well.

Given the amount of labor involved per magazine, having them converted would be a losing proposition compared to selling them and buying the Accurate Mags... IMHO.

I have so many I did not like the thought of getting rid of them just to replace them. With todays current climate on magazines you never know if you can reclaim them once you sell.
I did consider doing it myself but I just don't have the free time right now.

Looks like I will sell them and have GAP order me the Accurate mags to replace them.

Just batch 'em in lots of 5... buy five new, inspect and test, then sell 5 AI's... rinse, repeat, until you have all proper and good magazines. Unless you need them all at once, of course.
Maybe you CAN find someone who will "tool up" to do them in one "production run" for a price you can live with.. I hope so.. but I'm sceptical that you'll find anyone who can do it right, and cheaper than replacing the magazines.

I would do all the work minus the TIG welding yourself and find a local welding shop and have someone there weld up the holes. Then find someone to cerakote the mags for ya.

I've done one just by milling out the spot welds, requires no welding or re coating.

Only downside to this is it requires grabbing onto the mag pretty hard with the vice to keep it steady and can deform the mag if you aren't careful.

Still takes awhile, but cleaner and no welding. Also I'm not sure off hand if it's possible on the ten round mags to reach the welds easily.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

I just did some Accurate Mags last week and I don't understand where you guys are coming from with these being a lot of work. I put a good, sharp 1/4" bit in my drill press and punched out the welds, filed the inside to remove any burrs, and re-assembled with each mag taking no longer than 10 minutes. I've functioned tested them and there are no issues thus far from mag deformation or leaving the holes unfilled. I've read different posts about whether or not to fill in the old spot weld holes so I am not going to until I see an absolute need for it. Isn't it Alpha Mags that come made for longer COL??

I've tried some without filling in the holes, and the mags did not feed reliably in my experience. When the rounds slide forward under recoil, the bullets get stuck in the holes and jam up everything.

I just did some Accurate Mags last week and I don't understand where you guys are coming from with these being a lot of work. I put a good, sharp 1/4" bit in my drill press and punched out the welds, filed the inside to remove any burrs, and re-assembled with each mag taking no longer than 10 minutes. I've functioned tested them and there are no issues thus far from mag deformation or leaving the holes unfilled. I've read different posts about whether or not to fill in the old spot weld holes so I am not going to until I see an absolute need for it. Isn't it Alpha Mags that come made for longer COL??

When you take a hard bump or fall and those round shift in your mag the hole will become a problem. We have tested it. Accurate Mag does now offer the mags without the plate.
Alpha also makes makes that work for longer cartridges. If you can get them, and then they all take tuning.

I have done this mod on some of my mags.
The issue is when you weld the holes closed you have to grind the back side of the weld so it does not hang on the follower.
It is very tough to get inside a ten rounder and grind it smooth.
For all the work involved the new ones with out plates are the way to go.

Just my opinion, factory AICS and AW mags feed the best in all my guns with no feed lip adjusting.

I've done this myself by disassembling the mag and carefully drilling out the twospot welds. Then fill in the holes by using a thick strip of copper that you can slide into the magazine and clamp against the front face. I filled in the holes easily from the outside with a MIG setup. The welding material won't stick to the copper, and it leaves a nice smooth surface on the inside of the mag. Smooth out the weld on the outside of the mag to your liking, and paint the mag or coat it with whatever you want.

I just had edm shop burn the holes from the inside, to the mag body. Perfect modification, retain the perfect and coated feedlips on the AI mags.
Perfect mags now better.

Looks like I will sell them and have GAP order me the Accurate mags to replace them.
I have called up Accurate Mag direct and had them ship to me. Have they stopped doing this?

I use the 300 WSM mags and bend the feed lips with the HS precision tool to spec, as they are the ones without the front spacer. Takes a small investment of time, but I have had much better results with them than with Alpha mags.

My system in photos;
2md0xuu.jpg

2ze9jb6.jpg

4zss3m.jpg

2.930, no sweat.
Third photo shows a little 'color' on bare metal where internal 'holes' were burned out of the plate.. A 'manifold' dressing probably containing Phosphoric acid. That and a thin film of silicone.

Last edited:
I found a local shop that will do all the mags I want for a very reasonable price. But it will be up to me to have them coated again. I am contemplating making an order with accurate mag to replace the majority and then selling off the AI mags. It's just going to be easier for me in the long run.

Thanks for all the info and help!

To fill in the spot welds without having to grind on the inside, use a strip of copper or a thin welding spoon to back the weld. It'll be nice and smooth on the inside.

I've done this myself by disassembling the mag and carefully drilling out the twospot welds. Then fill in the holes by using a thick strip of copper that you can slide into the magazine and clamp against the front face. I filled in the holes easily from the outside with a MIG setup. The welding material won't stick to the copper, and it leaves a nice smooth surface on the inside of the mag. Smooth out the weld on the outside of the mag to your liking, and paint the mag or coat it with whatever you want.

THat's how I do them. I get porosity from using a copper backer but after a little bit of prep work and paint they turn out pretty good.

I found a local shop that will do all the mags I want for a very reasonable price. But it will be up to me to have them coated again. I am contemplating making an order with accurate mag to replace the majority and then selling off the AI mags. It's just going to be easier for me in the long run.

Thanks for all the info and help!

I don't know what they were going to charge but it's time consuming and by time you get someone to cerakote them, I think you are going the correct route.

I don't know what they were going to charge but it's time consuming and by time you get someone to cerakote them, I think you are going the correct route.

For the amount of mags I asked him to do his quote was actually pretty cheap. He also cerakotes so all in all I think I was paying $400.00 to convert 15 mags. That's roughly $27.00 a mag.
It might help that he is also a friend but I thought about going with his offer, I want to see if obtaining that many accurate mags is possible first and foremost.