• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting AICS to use AW mags? How??

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Since I can't seem to find the real answer anywhere, what needs to be done to convert my AICS stock with Badger Action from taking AICS mags to taking AW mags?

Is the mag release longer, shorter, etc etc. Dremel....grinder.....help!

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Converting AICS to use AW mags? How??

If I recall the mag release needs to be trimmed a bit. There is a post I thnk in the gunsmithing section where the exact finish length was posted. All I remember is that it wasnt a lot, so be carefull.

I think Jason is refering to the 308 AW mags which should easily fit in an AICS in regards to width without trimming. Send Marty, George of Jered a PM and I'm sure you will get the exact length.

Our Avenger actions when fitted with our RCS chassis will function with both AW and AICS magazines.

you have to watch the height that the mag sits,

I converted a Barnard SM to work in an AICS with the AW mags, involved milling the action to accept the mag as the opeing in the action is narrow as standard.

You can put AW and AICS mags in the AICS chassis, you can either alter the height of the mag release or alter the magazines.
I wouldn't recomend the AW mags for a Remmy 700 though.

feed height is the A and O.
Pete

Thanks to the Anchor Station reminder, I found this from Marty in the Rifles section......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marty@Badger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magazines...

I have successfully made 2 rifles that will feed <span style="font-weight: bold">BOTH</span> AICS and AW magazines.

If you follow the inletting instructions sent w/ the action and cut the pillar heights to the prescribed lengths, BOTH mags will work.

On the AICS stock, Boy this is the tricky part, if you imagine a Round action sitting in the AICS v-block The action is 1.35" dia.
Touch off on the top of the action and go down 1.35", that is where the v-block is cut down to.

Then you need to cut the mag latch off approx .050" CHECK THIS <span style="font-weight: bold">CAREFULLY</span>, cut short and fit.
AI <span style="font-weight: bold">DOES NOT</span> have extra latches neither does Badger!

If you need help or just need to ask some questions CALL before you cut!

Hope this helps.

Long actions, Early Nov 2008, no price yet, not taking orders, watch our web site.

check it now http://www.badgerord.com/productgroup.php?id=action

Marty</div></div>

If your going to put AW mags into a AICS/Rem700 then you will have to modify the action by milling the feed lips wider to accept the wider double stack magazine lips, and also slightly widen the feed ramp to aid in feeding from a double stack.

The AW mags will need to have a small curve filed in the front top edge, to seat properly against the curved bottom of the remington action. Just copy and transfer it from the AICS mag.

Mine was a M5 DBM inletted and bedded originaly for the supplied AICS mags, then had the action modified for AW mags. no mods to the DBM itself were required. It feeds great from both AICS and AW mags.

have fun,

JJ

You can see where the feed ramp has been slightly widened and the action feed lips machined wider.

a bottom veiw of the feed lips.

With an AW mag fitted, you can see where the wider mag lips sit just inside the action lips.