• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Converting bullet drop in inches to 1/8" @ 100yds

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
I have a cheapo BSA 4-16 power mil dot scope SFP mounted on my Rem 700 22-250. This is basically a truck gun for coyotes. The windage and elevation turrets are 1/8" @ 100 yards and they track really well and crisp.

My question is if my bullet is for example suppose to drop 4" at 300 yards and my gun is sighted in at 100 yards can I just adjust my elevation turret up 32 "clicks" and be able to hold dead on for a 300 yard shot or is there more to it? (8x4=32)

Thanks in advance. I have never really messed around with this scope and I havent figured out what power it needs to be set at for the mil dots to work correctly since it is SFP.

Re: Converting bullet drop in inches to 1/8" @ 100yds

think of it as moa. if you bullet drops 4 inches at 300 yards that means its droping 1.3 moa, so you would need to adjust 11 clicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks in advance. I have never really messed around with this scope and I havent figured out what power it needs to be set at for the mil dots to work correctly since it is SFP.</div></div>

Normally SFP scopes are setup where max power leads to the correct reticle size. Sometimes the scope makers also put a doton the power ring to designate the correct power setting.

I wasn't sure if it was max power or 10 power, and there is no mark on the power ring to indicate. I guess next time I go to the range and shoot 100 yards I will just have to draw out 3.6" lines on my target and figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">think of it as moa. if you bullet drops 4 inches at 300 yards that means its droping 1.3 moa, so you would need to adjust 11 clicks </div></div>

+1

4 inches at 100 is not the same MOA as 4 inches at 300 yards

I'm totally lost now. I never got into learning MOA. All my other scopes are Mil/Mil. Maybe I should just figure out what power setting my scope needs to be at to have the mil dots spaced out correctly and just convert the bullet drop to mils and use hold over?

Are any of the numbers on your power ring a different color than the others? If so then that's the power setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm totally lost now. I never got into learning MOA. All my other scopes are Mil/Mil. Maybe I should just figure out what power setting my scope needs to be at to have the mil dots spaced out correctly and just convert the bullet drop to mils and use hold over? </div></div>

Thats the gay thing about having a scope with turrets that don't match the reticle.

1 MOA is basically 1" @ 100 yards... Add 1" for every 100 yards for MOA (ie at 200 yds 1 moa is 2", at 300yds 1 moa = 3", and so on) Now MOA isn't exactly 1" per 100yds... But close enough for 99.9% of applications IMHO

Damn are you "ray ray" on the product review page on BSA???

Asked back in Jan. 2011... And still havent gotten an answer!!!

i would strongly consider holding over with that scope. your the first bsa owner ive ever heard of that has a scope that tracks.

dialing in moa is not that confusing. if the poi moves 1 inch at 100 yards then at 3x the range (300yds) it would move 3 inches.

think of it as a piece of pie. if the shooter is the center of the pie the further you get from the center the bigger the piece gets.

you said your a mil get, so if 1 mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards then its not 3.6 inches at 300 yards aswell, the distance between your dots cover a wider area and 1 mil equals 10.8 inches

thanks for everyone's help for clearing up this confusion. And no I am not ray ray on the BSA website reviews but I was getting a good laugh reading his posts .