• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Converting Dillon 550 to 550B

Scorpion King

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2012
United States CA
Is there a parts kit? I need the autoprimer, low primer alarm, and the rod for engaging the powder dispensing mechanism. Has anybody else done this. Should have just bought the 550B from the start this is costing me at least an extra 120$ buying the additional parts.

Loading 300WM, 338 lapua, and 308 match ammo on her.

I have had to bi-pass using station 3 and put my redding competition dies in station 4 do to the height of the micrometer. ANyone else loading these calibres on this machine? Could use all of the tips I can get.

Scorpion King,

The Dillon's are a bit of a Legos set for handloaders; you can set them up in any number of different ways, depending on what you're doing with them. You just need to take a look at what you want to do, and configure the press accordingly. Call Dillon, and they'll tell you what different packages they offer for doing upgrades such as this. I use the Redding BR-3 and BR-30 measures on my own 550s, and have had to go this route myself. Not a problem, just recognize the fact that you're just slightly off the beaten path, and may have to cut your own trails.

Is there a parts kit? I need the autoprimer, low primer alarm, and the rod for engaging the powder dispensing mechanism. Has anybody else done this. Should have just bought the 550B from the start this is costing me at least an extra 120$ buying the additional parts.

Loading 300WM, 338 lapua, and 308 match ammo on her.

I have had to bi-pass using station 3 and put my redding competition dies in station 4 do to the height of the micrometer. ANyone else loading these calibres on this machine? Could use all of the tips I can get.

I have a 450 I upgraded a 550 with the auto prime and powder kits. For loading pistol ammo, they were worth it. I passed on the frame upgrade and just use the Hornady locking rings on the dies.

For rifle ammo, I used a 2 pass approach. The first pass used a Lee universal decapper set to stop the press motion before it topped out is station 1 and a full length sizing bushing die in station 3. This gives really consistent shoulder set back. Tumble to remove the lube, trim as required, and finish the cases in another go around through the press. The anal version of the second pass was hand priming the cases before feeding them and dumping trickled powder through the powder die.

You can also use the case trimmer for the first pass. This is what I do now in my 650. The 650 case feeder maxes out with 308 case heads and needs another upgrade to feed magnum cases. The case trimmer die gives just as concentric sized brass as a bushing die. You're stuck with whatever it gives for neck tension though because there is no removable bushing.

I've only loaded 223 and 308 this way. With the charge bar auto feature, you'll probably have to compromise on powder choice. With 223, Benchmark and H335 were no problem. Varget was a hassle. Depending on your charge and powder, 300WM is the outer edge of reality for a single pass of the optional magnum charge bar in the Dillon powder measure. There is also a kit for installing a conventional powder measure. I have the Dillon magnum charge bar, but don't use it to load 300WM.

Lego's or an AR15 are good analogies. Lots of tools to do the job different ways.

The Blue Press is Dillon's monthly advertising rag. It's a mini catalog with a different pretty girl on the front every month and the occasional good article. You can sign up for it on their web page.

Yeah after messing with what I have all day I am thinking I want to Frankenstein it a bit. Skip the auto powder dispensers and add the primer feed option. Precision loads and speed don't mix. I really like having my dies set-up in the toolhead though and not having to swap and reset my dies.