• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting Rem 700 SPS 308 into 16" Shorty

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Greetings!
I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical 308 with 20" barrel, timney trigger, and basic Leupold 3x9 that I barely use (currently only use it as a deer rifle and I barely get to hunt). In 2014 this was my first precision long gun and I had it in a B&C Stock with a SWFA 5-20x50; it shot under .75 MOA consistently with FGMM and Black Hills. I then moved on to a 700 5R and then again to a Bergara B14 in 6.5 which is my main precision bolt gun currently.

I was thinking of selling this rifle since I barely shoot it other than to verify zero prior to an occasional hunt but then seeing some pics on this site and thinking about it I thought it might be nice to cut the barrel down to 16 put on a silencerco ASR brake and have it as a shorty that I can suppress with my OMEGA 300. My local shop quoted me around 140 to cut and thread the barrel. What are your thoughts? The primary use would be to keep it as a handy hunting rifle for deer sized game under 300 yards and to shoot it at the range out to 700 or 800 yards instead of my creedmor which has a much shorter barrel life. Let me know if you think my idea is decent or if you think I am planning to spend money for a silly reason!

Also can anyone recommend a FFP scope in the 3-10 power range which has a mil reticle and zero stops? Preferably under 500 bucks? If I go ahead with this project I might want to put a scope on it that will allow me to dial mil elevation and windage when shooting past 100.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• rem 700 sps 3008.jpg
    rem 700 sps 3008.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 50
First, check your twist rate. they offered two different twists in the sps tactical, 10 and 12.
If you have a 10, soldier on.
140 is right around the going rate foe the job, so you're good there.
As far as an FFP scope in that power range, I wouldn't bother.
If you are at the point where you are holding off with the reticle, you're likely on 10X any way.
Go SFP for your stated purpose, unless you can get into a used SWFA 3-9, as they are reported to have great glass.
However, here is a FFP and on an unbeatable sale:

First, check your twist rate. they offered two different twists in the sps tactical, 10 and 12.
If you have a 10, soldier on.
140 is right around the going rate foe the job, so you're good there.
As far as an FFP scope in that power range, I wouldn't bother.
If you are at the point where you are holding off with the reticle, you're likely on 10X any way.
Go SFP for your stated purpose, unless you can get into a used SWFA 3-9, as they are reported to have great glass.
However, here is a FFP and on an unbeatable sale:

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it! My twist rate was not indicated on the rifle strangely. I just called remmington and they told me that all sps tactical 308 barrels are 10 twist!

I think the SWFA 3x9 could be awesome! I love my SWFA 5-20 which is on my B14 HMR!