• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting Savage .308 family rifle to 300WSM

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
What mag issues (blind/box) am I going to encounter converting a 308 family Savage/Stevens short action into a 300WSM? Will I have to alter the feed lips somehow for the wider cartridge?

Re: Converting Savage .308 family rifle to 300WSM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just sell what you have and get a WSM combo. Save time and money. JMHO </div></div>

Well, I have nothing now. You cannot get any Savage WSM for anything near the price of a Stevens 308 family short action or a package Savage gun. I will be selling off everything but the action so the lowest price wins. I already called Shilen and they assure me that a small shake 300 WSM barrel of theirs is completely safe. Since I only want the action it makes little sense, and saves no money, to buy a donor gun a couple hundred more expensive. The larger bolt face is cheap. I just need to know if I will encounter major problems feeding from the mag.

Re: Converting Savage .308 family rifle to 300WSM

If it's like the Remington you're going to need to open up the feed ramp. I didn't need to open the feed rails to get my 7/300 WSM to feed, just the scalloped ramp that is cut into the aft face of the lower lug abutment.

ETA: With careful use of a grinding stone and a die grinder the job took about 5 minutes. A dremel tool would handle it just fine too.