• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting Savage MKII thumbhole into A5

whurte

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Marietta,Ohio
I was inspired to try modifying my Savage stock after following KRock459's thread on his 10/22 modification.

My MKII has the thumbhole stock, which has presented some additional challenges and work to deal with. Filling in the hole was the first problem.

I have it shaped and the dowels installed, but they need trimmed to the proper length after the epoxy sets. I'm hoping to start putting the Duraglass on this weekend. Any tips on working with Duraglass? How much should I mix up at one time?
I'm thinking about trying to do it in two stages. Basically one side per batch of resin. Does that sound reasonable?

I've tried searching using the Sniper's Hide "Google" search, but have been unable to find some specs I could use.

Which Packmayr recoil pad is used on the A5? What size is it?

Related to the recoil pad size, what is the height and width of a Mcmillan A5 stock? If someone could post some actual measurements I would be very thankful.

Here are photos of the progress so far. If anyone is interested, I can post more photos of the steps up to this point.
DSC_0304.jpg
DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

Re: Converting Savage MKII thumbhole into A5

I really like what you've done with putting it back together to take it apart in a different manner - looks like a lot of time, thought and skill has gone into it.

Thanks for the good words. I should have some more photos up later tonight. I've got to say I was having some doubts when
I started putting the Duraglass on. More later.

I cut the pistol grip down and relieved the side of the stock to get a thicker coat of duraglass. I then drilled random 1/8" holes over the entire stock. I figured it would give the resin some extra grip.
DSC_0335.jpg

In this next photo you see the guide plate on the end of the stock and the masking.
DSC_0344.jpg

This view shows the end plate masked off to the approximate thickness I wanted to start with.
DSC_0352.jpg

I had never seen Duraglass before attempting this. This is what it looks like.
DSC_0351.jpg

I mixed 50% of the can in the first batch. It took 25% more to
get things built up to where I wanted them. I was getting around 10 minutes of working time. Once it starts curing it goes fast.Just like KROCK said in his writeup, there is a window where the cheese grater will shape material easily. This shot shows the ruffed in duraglass.
DSC_0354.jpg

I used Bondo Pro Gold body filler and glazing putty to fill in the voids. After lots off shaping and sanding this is where the project stands.
DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

Hopefully more to come in a couple of days.

Thanks,I wish Savage would have had the TR when I got my rifle! I looked at a 17 at Buckeye Supply Saturday. It felt
really good to me.

I was able to do some work on the front end tonight.

Here is the front before any shaping. I used a dremel tool with a ruff carbide bit to knock down the high points and get it down close before starting to sand.

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

After lots off shaping and sanding.
DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Still lots of work to do,but here is where it's at.
DSC_0375.jpg

Thanks, but it's far from perfect. There has been a lot of just eyeballing it. I used a picture of an A5 that someone had for sale here on the Hide. I just blew it up on my monitor and traced it. I kept enlarging it until it had 13.5 length of pull. It looked about right so that's what I went with.

I'm trying to find some Marine Tex locally to texture the grip and forearm. I experimented with JB Weld last night on a scrap of wood. It looks like it might work, but it may have settled a little more than I would like. Does anyone know of a suitable substitute for Marine Tex? Something that might be available locally? I could order MT, but I'm wanting to keep moving on this project. The weather has been great this week and I'd rather be shooting than working on this 22.

Will Devcon work for texturing?

Also, very slick job on the stock. How much is that Duraglass run? This could be more cost effective than waiting for Boyd's to get the TR stock out.

Kyshooter

I just tested some Devcon Metal Patch & Fill. I'm thinking I got the wrong stuff. This stuff comes straight out of the tube. It set up really fast and wasn't sticky enough to give that stomping effect for texture.

I've decided to go with the JB weld. After looking at the test again it should work out OK.

I gave $18.95 plus tax for the quart of Duraglass. The Bondo Gold was about $12. I already had the glazing putty on hand.

I have enjoyed this project, but probably won't save much money by the time it's all done. If Boyd's would have had the Savage version available for $79 I would have jumped on that.

I'm wanting to do some weak side practice and the thumbhole stock made that impractical. Most of the other stocks I liked were in the $200 range and I didn't want to put that much into it.

I've been working on it this weekend. This is what has happened so far.
DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379-1.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

Bolt Knob installed by Mark Gordon at Short action customs.
I think he did a super job. Check out his website.

DSC_0402-1.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

whurte,

Thanks for the info. Does that Mueller work half as good as it looks? I might have to give one of those a shot sometime.

I dig the EGW stuff as well, have a couple of those bases and will have a few more.

kyshooter,

There are quite a few positive reviews around if you search. I didn't want to spend a lot so it seemed like it might fit the bill for my trainer. I'm hoping to try it out soon.
The AO is marked down to 10 yds. and actually focuses past the 10 mark. I wanted something with external ele/win knobs and a mil dot recticle. The click stops are decent, but not even close to the ones on my Nightforce. It reportedly tracks well and returns to zero, time will tell.

This is a shot of the recoil pad I made up. Rifle was a little short for me,so I added some length.
DSC_0403.jpg

I think I have reached the point of diminishing returns. I painted the stock with Krylon OD today. I think it looks OK, but it is far from perfect. You can still see small imperfections,but I don't think I will do any more finish work.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I'm wondering if I should spray a matt clear coat over the OD. What have most people done?
Does anyone have any advice?</span>

Here it is in OD
DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

shoot it with matte clear over the paint. It will act like a clear coat over a car's paint for example, and protect the finish.

Good job!

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Looks great, really like the OD!

SoCalPete,

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking, but wondered what others had done.

eevilweevil,

Thanks. I have not shot it since I started the mods on the stock. I'm hoping to get out in the next few days.

eevilweevil,

I made it to the range today just before a rain storm hit.
I got my target set up at 50yds and checked the zero. It was calm to a very slight head wind. The first target is five rounds of SK standard @ 50 yds. The weather was looking worse so I decided to hurry and move it out to 100yds. By the time I got back to shoot it was starting to rain and the wind kicked up. I was using one of the wire frames from a political sign to hold my cardboard and the wind was blowing it back and forth about 30-40 degrees. I could hold on the orange dot and the target would blow forward and the cross hairs wouldn't even be on the dot anymore. I rushed it a lot and it shows. Every thing was getting wet so I packed it in for today.
DSC_0406.jpg

100yd target both shot prone with bipod and rear bag.
DSC_0407.jpg

Very impressive! I really like what you've been able to accomplish with just a little ingenuity and a get-r-done attitude! Looks like it'll be a tack driver!