• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting shelved security safe to gun safe

I am looking for suggestions on how to convert a fire/security safe to a long gun safe. TIA

Need more information on the safe. Size? What's inside? Brand? Age of the safe? I've got a couple real safes so I may know what you are talking about

Need more information on the safe. Size? What's inside? Brand? Age of the safe? I've got a couple real safes so I may know what you are talking about
I am hoping to find a used true safe that has adjustable shelves with interior exterior dimensions of about 72 x 40 x 29 or so. I do not have a specific brand but would be happy with AMSEC or Hollon.

Secure it gun storage.
They also sell individual panels and parts so you can build your own conversion kit.

Take out the shelves and use rifle rods

This is what I did and couldn't be happier. I added one shelf back in, laid the velcro on the bottom of it. Rifle rods hold everything well. I added two rechargeable motion sensor LED lights that turn on when I open the door. I still haven't seen an actual marketed gun safe with a higher rating than my actual safe.

This is what I did and couldn't be happier. I added one shelf back in, laid the velcro on the bottom of it. Rifle rods hold everything well. I added two rechargeable motion sensor LED lights that turn on when I open the door. I still haven't seen an actual marketed gun safe with a higher rating than my actual safe.

Because "gun safes" are really just RSC. Residential Storage Container. They don't get tool attack ratings or fire ratings from UL. They are little better than a Stanley Vidmar steel cabinet ( which are actually freaking awesome as an ammo cabinet) and cost less, weigh less than some fatty man junior that can be cut open the same way with a cutoff wheel or sawzall and turn your inside contents to charcoal in an actual fire.

Reactions: carbonbased
Because "gun safes" are really just RSC. Residential Storage Container. They don't get tool attack ratings or fire ratings from UL. They are little better than a Stanley Vidmar steel cabinet ( which are actually freaking awesome as an ammo cabinet) and cost less, weigh less than some fatty man junior that can be cut open the same way with a cutoff wheel or sawzall and turn your inside contents to charcoal in an actual fire.
If you look above, I authored a post very similar to what you just said. It's very misleading when purchasing a "gun safe".

Amsec sells UL listed ones. They're not cheap, as in insurance is way cheaper and unless I had a nfa collection I wouldn't bother.

Amsec sells UL listed ones. They're not cheap, as in insurance is way cheaper and unless I had a nfa collection I wouldn't bother.
I'm familiar with Amsec. They are a safe company.

I have some things that aren't replaceable. I'm sure many others do as well. Items that haven't been made in the last 80 years, etc

I'm familiar with Amsec. They are a safe company.

I have some things that aren't replaceable. I'm sure many others do as well. Items that haven't been made in the last 80 years, etc

Yes.

If the cost is worthwhile, then buy one. I just think it's fun seeing the sticker shock when guys look at rsc gun stuff and then real safes.

Yes.

If the cost is worthwhile, then buy one. I just think it's fun seeing the sticker shock when guys look at rsc gun stuff and then real safes.

Both real safes I own cost less than a grand each. They needed work and to be moved. I did both.

How do those rods work on real heavy rifles? Think 26 pounds.

How do those rods work on real heavy rifles? Think 26 pounds.

Really it's just keeping it upright so there isn't much force on the rod itself. So I balance the gun on the butt stock, find it's center and then push the rod upwards to the velcro, give it a little twist to seat it and everything is good.

Reactions: akmike47
Buy some of these:

I see they also make custom sized ones too. I have used their products and like them. You don’t need a stack on cabinet either…just drill holes. Make sure you size it for the shortest gun! Ask me how I know.