• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Converting Sig 226 in 40 s&w to 9mm

BFDshooter5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Maine
So I have dug around a bit trying to get my question answered clearly for my simple mind. I have a Sig 226 in 40s&w and would like to do a barrel/mag swap to 9mm. I've read from some that its possible and others say impossible. What's the true scoop? Can I put a factory Sig barrel in my 226 and have it function properly? Thanks ahead of time for any help you may have

John

You can go to a 357sig for sure. I know that some Glock models can change from .40 to 9mm but not 100% sure about the sig. It sounds reasonable to me though. You might have to change the spring to though.

Thanks for the help on this especially directing me to Barsto. I just picked this Sig up and it only has one mag with it so it would be worth while to buy this set up before investing in 40s&w mags. I love this set up, especially the DAK trigger but not a huge fan of the 40 s&w cartridge.

Please be very careful here and make your decision based upon your intended use for this firearm. If just for use as a range toy the conversion should be fine, although pricey, as Veer-G said. I would not recommend going this route if you intend to ever trust your life to this firearm. The .40 Sig will have an extractor sized for a .40 diameter case. Difference in case size between the .40 and 9mm may cause some reliability issues i.e. occasional FTE. As I said: should be fine for a range toy but for personal/family defense, well...I know I'm not going to take that risk.

As an alternative: if the snappy recoil is what you don't like about the .40 you might want to give .357 Sig a try. The conversion is just a drop-in barrel change: same case size so no extractor issues, uses the same mags, and IMHO, shoots like a dream. I have a 229 in .357 Sig that's one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I will admit though that the .357 Sig Ammo can be a little more difficult to find. I usually buy it 1000 rounds at-a-time from AIM or Palmetto when they have it in stock.

Best;

PLong

Yes you can.
You need a conversion barrel not just a Sig 9mm barrel as stated above.
The BAR STO will require fitting (yes, even the semi-fit), it is not a drop-in. You will also need patience for them as a company.
If fitted correctly, in my experience it will run just as good as the factory configuration. I've taken a 226 to 9mm and a 229 from .357Sig to 40SW.

EDIT TO ADD: I would look for a Sig factory conversion barrel before going with the Bar-Sto.

Last edited:
Boom holder, are you referring to a factory 9mm barrel formy .40 Sig or a 357 Sig barrel?

BFD,

order a 9mm caliber exchange kit and then sell the .40 slide and mag you will end up with a net expense of 100.00 or less. There are always people looking for .40 226 slides for one reason or another. That is my advice. And Please do not try a 9mm sig barrel in it as it will not work or fit properly. a Bar Sto conversion barrel will work but since that cost 179-200 dollars i would spend the rest for a caliber exchange kit which comes with a new slide, recoil spring and guide rod and one 9mm magazine. you can find them between 299.00 and 359.00 good luck and enjoy your new 226.

Thanks Tomahawk. Sounds like that's the way to go. Ill save my beer bottles and fund the swap. Probably have enough for mags and ammo to boot!

What T'Hawk84 said!!

I was going to make that exact same recommendation but he beat me to it. That way you know that everything is designed for the 9mm you want, just as if it came from Sig as a 9 originally. Last I checked Osage County Guns (they go by SigSauerGuns.com) had them is stock.

Whatever you do thoroughly test fire your weapon afterwards for reliability. I'm personally a little hesitant in making changes like that to my pistols.