• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Convice me I need an AR

flyracing117

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Saw a topic just like this on another forum. Made me laugh some of the guys responses. Anyways, im still on the fence if I truly want to jump into the AR world. Finished up my senior year of college so money is tight but i want to get myself a "graduation present"
whistle.gif

Ive grown up with bolt guns but the only semi auto guns Ive owned/own is a Ruger 10/22. Just curious if you guys think its worth jumping into the AR world. Would mind my own Zombie gun.
wink.gif

Re: Convice me I need an AR

Well since you are referencing zombies I would say DONT get an AR since your not going to use it anyways. I know a few "zed hunters" who shoot less than 300 rounds a year. If you are one of those people then save your money.

after all the threads you have read, and all the gun sites, magazines, TV, that you have watched and read, in the end of the day having weapons for some of us is just plain fun. I enjoy all weapons to include bolt guns and AR's. I shoot both and have fun. But, when you really get to open up with an AR and do some mag dumps on the range I will guarantee you will have a smile on your face. Don't make too much out of shooting other than it is fun but can be used for defense or hunting if you need to. Just my two pennies.

If you want a graduation present, I would tell you this. Take the money for the AR and take a 3 or 5 day carbine course at any place you like, USTC, Rifles Only, Storm mountain, Tiger Swan, Through Grey Group training etc. Rent an AR and a Pistol and have fun learning to shoot. Take away from the course how you would employ such a weapon system and you will have a better idea of the equipment you would use on it, optics, light etc.

Everyone should have one AK.

But I think a better graduation gift would be a nice hunting rifle in 300 win mag and start elk hunting every year.

haha im just kiddin about the zombies, I've never been one of those zombie/SHTF/bug out people that either hoards ammo and doesnt shoot it or has the best survival bag for hiding out in the mountains. Not saying I wont stock up on plinking ammo if I find good sales but im not that type.

As far as hunting rifles I believe Im set for all of my hunting needs. I have a .243 for deer sized game and a .30-06(Which im in the process of trading for a 7mm Rem. Mag) for everything else. Works for me because i dont enjoy big game hunting. Its just not my thing I would rather go hike in some where and set up a target or too and do some back country shooting than hike in and then drag a deer/pack an elk out. BUT I do enjoy Squirrel and coyote hunting.

Why would you not own one.. at least at some point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well since you mentioned zombies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

</div></div>
laugh.gif
HAHA! I havent seen that video, ive seen a few similar but not that exact one.

I am a bolt gun guy through and through. I think they are the most attractive firearm that there is. I don't like "mag dumping." I would rather spend my time placing well aimed shots.

With that being said. Everyone firearm collection should include an assault rifle (AR, AK, etc...) I finally broke down and bought a DPMS 16" flat top carbine decked out with Magpul accessories and a few mags. I put a vortex strikefire red dot scope on it to finish it out. I bought a ton of brass and have over 1k loaded rounds tucked away.

My AR is fun when I shoot steel at 100-200 yards with the red dot scope, after a few mags it gets boring and I'm ready to get out to longer ranges.

It's good to have just in the very rare chance that something dramatic happens in our society.

every gun enthousiast/shooter should have a least one AK and one AR.

If money is tight get a quality lower and build slowly.

We are fortunate to live in a country where owning, using and enjoying an AR is not prohibited provided we do it lawfully. Whether one likes ARs, or hates ARs, what other reason do you need to own one?

If you need to be convinced that you should purchase an AR platform then you don't need one. Move along.

+1 on what KS above said.

On a more helpful note, if you decide to take the AR/AK plunge, study and shoot a lot. Be picky. Find out what characteristics/accessories/configurations you like/dislike.

AR's are a fantastic tool, but they're only as good as their intended purpose and how you personally shoot/handle them.

My first AR was a Rock River carbine with a non removable carry handle. Someone convinced me to be a purist. I was okay with it until I shot a fella's rig with a 20" HBAR, Magpul PRS stock, JP low\pro gas block (mine had the standard milspec triangle), a 4x ACOG and a can...then I started not liking mine as much.

After spending well over a thousand bucks on the gun, ammo and accessories, I found out I wanted something other than what I initially bought.

Take your time, get what you want. If you can't afford what you want initially, start by buying a QUALITY upper/lower. Then a quality trigger and barrel in the length and thickness you want, continue to piece your AR together with high quality components and work your way up until you have the rifle you want.

Lastly, be aware that one AR is not enough and you'll have a second, third, and possibly a fourth, fifth and sixth.

If your not looking for any serious accuracy out of the rifle and just want a fun semi-automatic present to yourself, then a AK74 seems like a good fit. I do not own one, but have had quite a bit of fun plinking with them. And 5.45 ammo is probably the cheapest ammo I have every seen sold next to .22

One of the things I love about firearms is that re-sale seems to be pretty solid. I have bought a few of firearms that I didn't really care for after I shot them, then turned around and sold them for the same price I paid "in some rare circumstances a higher price" Now it's not always like that, but just keep an eye out in the classifieds for those good deals that barely last 10 min. and you should be fine.

You want to buy a semi auto rifle with a little meaning, something special, something with character and not break the bank? I'd buy a M1 Garand.

I say get one. ARs are a lot of fun to shoot, can be very accurate, and ammo (223) is relatively inexpensive and plentiful. I've been a bolt action guy for a long time and just got into the ARs couple years ago. Find myself shooting the ARs a lot now and really enjoy them.
And on another note who knows how the laws are going to change with respect to buying them in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a graduation present, I would tell you this. Take the money for the AR and take a 3 or 5 day carbine course at any place you like, USTC, Rifles Only, Storm mountain, Tiger Swan, Through Grey Group training etc. Rent an AR and a Pistol and have fun learning to shoot. Take away from the course how you would employ such a weapon system and you will have a better idea of the equipment you would use on it, optics, light etc. </div></div>

^^^ what he said. It's the same advice I received when starting auto racing, and the best money I ever spent. No point in getting better guns before you becoming a better shooter. No point in getting better performance from your car before you are a good enough driver to maximize the current settings :)

Without owning an AR you can <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER</span></span></span> be this cool:

InternetCommando.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well since you are referencing zombies I would say DONT get an AR since your not going to use it anyways. I know a few "zed hunters" who shoot less than 300 rounds a year. If you are one of those people then save your money. </div></div>
Agreed 100% but to the question asked you did start this thread asking so what else do you need other than to buy one?

I believe there is already an english saying concerning them already, it's something like "AR's are like assholes, everyones got one". What gun since the M1 has had a saying devised for it? (the M1's of course being "greatest battle implement ever devised")

I certainly don't regret buying mine, but it didn't last more than a month in Arfcom "milspec milspec milspec" mode before I scoped it and started turning it into a mid range rig. Point being, shoot a couple dramatically different variants (if possible) before you invest in one. Otherwise, you'll be like me and have a box full of a couple hundred bucks worth of used parts by the time you're happy with it.

I was way happier with my Colt 6724 than my 6920. Two very different roles, but the 6724 was more me. Mr. Roberts probably has a point.

You need one, because most everyone should own at least one. Very handy, accurate, fun to shoot, and one of the best coyote hunting rifles in existence.

The suggestion about a class was a good one. I wish someone had given that advice to me when I first when looking for an AR.
cool.gif

you need an AR. there, you are all convincified. now comes the fun part, what? who's? where? which? hmmmmm. sorry to do it to you

Although I have a lot better and more accurate guns to pick from, my friends always want to shoot my RRA .223. It is fun to shoot and looks cool. If that is what you are wanting, enjoy!

If you do get an AR I'd suggest a 20" rifle length system with and ONLY with irons.

Unless your going to use it for work or competition thats all you need. No need for the red dots, flash lights and whatever else you can hang off a lightweight carbine.

Buy an M1A National Match, or Loaded, and be good for a lifetime. Always nice to shoot a "real" round.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy an M1A National Match, or Loaded, and be good for a lifetime. Always nice to shoot a "real" round.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Really? You want to come on here and start this? The .308 is great but when it costs more than double to shoot a "Real Round" I will be happy shooting my .223s
Nothing wrong with a M1A, nothing at all but the ammo is more and you can get some distance out of one but for the money an AR-10 will shoot better. Just don't start the "real round" BS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy an M1A National Match, or Loaded, and be good for a lifetime. Always nice to shoot a "real" round.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Really? You want to come on here and start this? The .308 is great but when it costs more than double to shoot a "Real Round" I will be happy shooting my .223s
Nothing wrong with a M1A, nothing at all but the ammo is more and you can get some distance out of one but for the money an AR-10 will shoot better. Just don't start the "real round" BS </div></div>

I don't see it. Price wise to get good 223 ammo isn't too far off that of the 308. It isn't a huge gap. When you consider, even still the 223 being a puke, the 308 is pretty appealing.

For the money AR-10s are a better value, but don't think an M1a variant can't hang. It does eventually cost more to do it and it takes a lot more input in fitting/building it. However personal preference does come into play. Both are battle proven platforms that nip the heals of their far share of bolt rifles when each are quality builds.

I wondered where this would go? Convincing a man to buy an AR, hummm. Well, Jr. here's my take. You don't need one, but, it sure is a great choice for many applications; defense, hunting, just plain fun shooting. Now it can collect a lot of dust too, so decide if you're going to use it, for something, then get one, or not.

If not, spend the money on something else that you will use, or enjoy for the moment. You may get the bug after awhile, as I did. Two lowers and three uppers 16", 20" and HB 24". That combination of minutes to change the upper makes an AR platform, an all occasion system. I suppose it is safe to say, you should own at least one, but then, add uppers, and you have as many as you want.

IMHO...Go with the AK and take a training class.

ARs are the big boy version of Legos. Everybody should have at least one.

The most effective way to convince a guy he needs something is to tell him doesn't need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without owning an AR you can <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER</span></span></span> be this cool:

InternetCommando.jpg
</div></div>

My HERO!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy an M1A National Match, or Loaded, and be good for a lifetime. Always nice to shoot a "real" round.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Nothing wrong with a M1A, nothing at all but the ammo is more and you can get some distance out of one but for the money an AR-10 will shoot better. Just don't start the "real round" BS </div></div>

I don't see it. Price wise to get good 223 ammo isn't too far off that of the 308. It isn't a huge gap. When you consider, even still the 223 being a puke, the 308 is pretty appealing.

For the money AR-10s are a better value, but don't think an M1a variant can't hang. It does eventually cost more to do it and it takes a lot more input in fitting/building it. However personal preference does come into play. Both are battle proven platforms that nip the heals of their far share of bolt rifles when each are quality builds.</div></div>

So, instead of purchasing an AR-10 with sub-MOA accuracy out of the box, let's instruct the buyer to blow his wad on an M1A which will have to spend even more money on to accurize it. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO...Go with the AK and take a training class. </div></div>

You're kidding, right? If you're going to make a stupid comment like that, at least have the decency to support your reasons why he should forget about an AR and get a less than accurate AK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO...Go with the AK and take a training class. </div></div>

You're kidding, right? If you're going to make a stupid comment like that, at least have the decency to support your reasons why he should forget about an AR and get a less than accurate AK. </div></div>

Well we all know that the AR has a 50% failure to feed because of its inferior design to a AK. AK's shoot a bigger bullet and is sure to kill a zombie than the tiny AR bullet that a zombie can survive a head shot from. Plus when the zombie apocalypse comes you can just bury your AK until the gov't leaves and un-bury it and it will work just fine unlike your pathetic AR. With the AR's patent Dust Magnetic Field, you are sure to always get dust in it and it will jam. THAT is why the true Zombie weapon is a AK *sarcasm*

If you need to be convinced to get a AR, you don't need one and probably will never use it as much as a bolt action. Let us be honest 25% of us don't NEED a semi-auto weapon, and would be happy with a bolt action, but we have a right (and I think a duty) to own one. I use mine for practice since the military isn't allowing us to shoot as much. Other compete, use it for home defense, varmit hunting, nostalgia, etc.

I own several AR15 series rifles.

I own zero AKs.

I'm only interested in ACCURATE firearms.
laugh.gif

And I don't live in Russia or China.

I have never needed convincing to buy an AR, bolt gun or any other firearm. I have AR's in 5.56, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 MM Grendal, .308, .260, and 6.5 MM CM in gas and piston configuration. I shoot my AR's as much as I shoot my bolt guns because I compete in IPSC and long range tactical shooting as well as any other sport I can find to shoot in. All my AR's are 100% reliable and extremely accurate. I have never had a desire to own a Avtomat Kalashnivkov 1947(AK 47), a Russian, Chinese built, American killer, built by Mikhail Kalashnivkov and used by third world communist countries against the free world since 1947.

Zombies I am not worried about it's the a-holes that are a problem.

Everyone needs an AR... or several. If you have to ask the question, I would save your money at this point for a future purchase... many of the good and affordable brands are backordered right now anyway.

Buy a 1 oz gold bullion piece wait 6 months then hope you have enough money for an AR and the training class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MajorPandemic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a 1 oz gold bullion piece wait 6 months then hope you have enough money for an AR and the training class. </div></div>
Yes this is a great idea. I even have a 1 troy oz coin I will let go for no less than $1750