• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cool find in box of Amax bullets

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
Has anyone else ever got a Amax bullet without the red ballistic tip on it? I just found one last one while loading some .308 up. Looks like a super large hollow point.

25grlhk.jpg

Re: Cool find in box of Amax bullets

Haven't found one completely missing, but about 3 years ago I got a box of 178 in 30cal that had a tip floating around in the box separate from the bullet. Only 1 though in about 4000 that I've shot.

Never.

It will slow down a bit faster, but I'm estimating no practical difference in point of impact until past the short line at 200 yards....

i found one like that in a box of SST's that I was loading for a friend in .277 cal. Looked in the box to see if I could find the tip and it wasn't there. I told him to use it as his first round when trying to sight in at 100 yards.

Write them or call them and they will probably send you a new box. I know I had some Nosler Accubonds with melted looking tips and they sent me new whole boxes. They just wanted the lot number.

I took the one I found and drilled it long ways, ran a line through it and tied it off to my Mil-Dot Master as an angle indicator.

Shit happens.

Cheers,

Doc

I found this one in a box. I used them to load subs for using the can. They replaced that box.

I had another issues with a box of 52gr amax's. I'm looking for that pic. Some had missing tips and the one had a tip that looked "melted", sort of rounded off.

Keith

badHornadybullet3.jpg

Re: Cool find in box of AMax bullets

Ive had a box that had lots of loose ballistic tips... they were in there, but very wobbly... must have been a dodgy batch

KS- I've had one of those unformed ones in a box of 123 Amax recently, forgot about that.

I plastered all over the steel plate at 400yd that I shot it at, just like normal
wink.gif

On a slightly related note, I had a box of .224 75gr AMAXs that had been on the shelf for a while. I already had loads worked up for my different rifles and figured I would never use them. I decided to do an experiment and used and exacto knife to cut the tips off flush with the jacket. Shooting them at 100 yards with very little work up was giving me sub 1 inch groups out of a Bushmaster "M4" with an ACOG, so I figured good enough. I am going to shoot some into water and wet newsprint to see what they do, then use the rest on varmints if they expand like I am hoping with the nice big flat front end.