• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Cool little dudes

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
Im infested with Praying Mantis this year but darned if they arent an interesting critter

Screenshot_20210907-131349_Gallery.jpg

We usually have a lot of them around here but not this year. Maybe they're later than normal this year???

Too hot. Tried the lacewings. They ate their asses off but couldn't keep up.
A predator bug is not going to overtake an infestation, full grown lady bugs don't eat nearly as much as their larval counterparts. You need breeding populations of predators and prey to maintain an eco system. You plants will be toast by the time the predator bugs eggs start hatching, if they will breed in your green house. A two bug ecosystem does not work in a green house. You can add them to your IPM plan, but IMO shipping bugs around and releasing them doesn't help much. They will simply leave, not breed, or die if they don't like where they are. If they like it in there, they will already be there.

Spray aphids with a few drops of dawn dish soap and water. Spray every three days until you have them under control. Then you can probably resort back to spot treatment as you find them.

More air flow through your greenhouse, is something they will not like. Still, humid air in a green house is their perfect environment.

Here is pretty good recourse for some sprays to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnCreek
I watched one eat a hornet back to front. Like a fat person with an ear of corn. Munch munch munch.

Its interesting, the Mantis have evolved to immediately start eating whatever they catch and they dont care where they start chewing....legs, wings, arms, makes no difference.

I've got a ton of them around here as well this year. A few years back I caught a big grasshopper and fed it to one. It started right off by chewing the head off. It was amazing to watch as I had no idea how strong they were.

We had a big one sitting on my hummingbird bird feeder, I'll be darned if it didn't try go after one of the birds that was still about twice it's size. I prefer the hummingbirds, so the mantis was relocated.

How do you prepare your hummingbird tongues….. and how many does it take to make a meal? Asking for a friend……
just went to youtube and saw it done..amazing those things must be strong…

Usually just stir fried with some broccoli. I call it General Tso's hummingbird tongues. Need about 135 to make a "good mess".

Reactions: Ravenworks
This turned into the Nom Nom Nom thread real quick.

Wait… a praying mantis can kill a hummingbird?
Yup. There was a pic floating around recently of one holding a dead hummer. Y'all may like them but I think they're creepy the way they turn their ET looking heads and look at you.

I caught a big one when I was four and the fucker bit the shit out of me, drew blood. My mom said she went out there and all was left were his legs and wings.

One landed on my knee here at the computer a couple of nights ago and I brushed it off with a few choice words. I hold grudges.

Yup. There was a pic floating around recently of one holding a dead hummer. Y'all may like them but I think they're creepy the way they turn their ET looking heads and look at you.

I caught a big one when I was four and the fucker bit the shit out of me, drew blood. My mom said she went out there and all was left were his legs and wings.

One landed on my knee here at the computer a couple of nights ago and I brushed it off with a few choice words. I hold grudges.

Yes, they can bite like hell. Interestingly...when they attack something they begin to eat immediately. No matter what part they grab they start chewing

Box em up and send them here. Need more in the greenhouse. Goddamn aphids got in and are fucking up my shit.
Lady bugs, their larva fucks aphids up something fierce.

Will a Praying Mantis do "Palmetto Bugs?" Harmless, perhaps, although they are a species of "cockroach."
Unsettling to see them in the bathroom after "settling down." :eek: :)

They have free rein at my place until it comes to the hummingbird feeder. Then they will at best be relocated and possibly killed.

They have free rein at my place until it comes to the hummingbird feeder. Then they will at best be relocated and possibly killed.

We covet our hummers here as well. I catch one staking out a feeder and they will be on the business end of a rubber band, quick.