• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Cool pics of cool stuff

Slash0311

Snafubar
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Southwest Indiana
    Sirhrmechanics post in to motivational thread got me thinking. These are pictures of the workings of a 4 faced clock for our town square. Rather than putting these in the motivational thread, I thought starting a new thread was a place for any other cool stuff pics.
    20150910_125605.jpg
    20150910_124935.jpg
    20150910_125645.jpg

South Post Gate Fort Devens MA......

75 MM gate guns, Probably old "YD" Yankee Division rifles.

Assuming these would have been same the M4 Sherman mounted.....

dev1.jpg

dev2.jpg

dev3.jpg

dev4.jpg

Looks like they were called up in 1941 for their second war....

and than I went to the pits. Brand new govt installed motorized target carriages that replaced the old cantilever counter weighted target frames we used to pull up and down......

Of course when we were using them the motor s were not working....USMC had a big qualify at the ranges and broke all the sheer pins to run the frames. Press the button now the motor wines and the carriages stay in place. Cant wait until the gov runs health care......

dev5.jpg

View attachment 7132098

View attachment 7132099

View attachment 7132100

View attachment 7132101

and than I went to the pits. Brand new govt installed motorized target carriages that replaced the old cantilever counter weighted target frames we used to pull up and down......

Of course when we were using them the motor s were not working....USMC had a big qualify at the ranges and broke all the sheer pins to run the frames. Press the button now the motor wines and the carriages stay in place. Cant wait until the gov runs health care......

View attachment 7132102

Did the Marines also glue the targets? Hillary has less wrinkles.

Did the Marines also glue the targets? Hillary has less wrinkles.

That was us.

The backing is ancient and looser than Stormy Daniels.

We barely had enough wallpaper paste for the number of frames and than we didnt give them time to dry and "harden".

Sucks but there is no target printer left in the US that can single sheet a 600 yard target.

Everything is two piece, top/bottom, now.

• Haha
    Reactions: 12Bravo
    That was us.

The backing is ancient and looser than Stormy Daniels.

We barely had enough wallpaper paste for the number of frames and than we didnt give them time to dry and "harden".

Sucks but there is no target printer left in the US that can single sheet a 600 yard target.

Everything is two piece, top/bottom, now.

Did not know that. Been out of the game for a while. I helped a friend mount a batch for a 3X20 600 match about a month ago. He still had one piece targets. He was a frikken four-star scrounger when captain of the rifle team so he'll probably never run out.

Side note: Can't recall the name of the system, but he uses an electronic scoring system. A sensor at each corner plots the hit and sends data to a tablet at each shooting position. I sat behind a Navy puke with my scope and called his shots from the trace. One came back a 9 that I called a ten. The other 19 were dead on.

Did not know that. Been out of the game for a while. I helped a friend mount a batch for a 3X20 600 match about a month ago. He still had one piece targets. He was a frikken four-star scrounger when captain of the rifle team so he'll probably never run out.

That reality was what my club supply guy was saying two years ago when they needed to buy new targets.

I was skeptical and checked National Target and the other big name US suppliers - sure enough everything is two piece.

Sucky part is I see that as a case that due to decreasing interest in the sport the upgrade or maintaining of the big presses wasnt economically viable.

or.....

Perhaps the electronic target systems are replacing paper target pits.

It does seem to be going the way of IHMSA. It just doesn't have the tacticool, hi-speed, low drag attraction.

The Fountain of Youth - For those who drink from this waters shall be coursed with the gift to walk the earth till time indefinite.
    View attachment 7132272

Probably when they came across one of these while exploring. Maybe even the Ponce De Leon springs. ;)

Probably when they came across one of these while exploring. Maybe even the Ponce De Leon springs. ;)

Could have well been, Ponce de Leon travel from Spain to the many islands of Bahamas and sailed to florida so a couple time. They believe the fountain so real I wouldn't doubt he met someone that tasted the waters.

View attachment 7132098

View attachment 7132099

View attachment 7132100

View attachment 7132101

View attachment 7132102
    Been in a pit before, I don't recall having powered target stands.

R

Been in a pit before, I don't recall having powered target stands.

R

Probably about two years old very nice.

One button up. One button down.

Now with the sheer pins broken we have to pull them and they dont pull as nice as the traditional counterweighted frames.

Have seen more than a few holes in the spotter, none has smoked the stick while I was pulling.

R

First time it happened, I thought the shooter hit the steel frame and it was a bullet frag. When I pulled the target, i saw what was left of the plastic spindle.

Reactions: Rthur
    20190817_103157.jpg

Im posting this to remember a great man. I'll just use his initials; WK. I was in high school and took a drafting class, despite knowing the teacher was known as a hard ass. Little did I know he was a great guy. Over 4 years of drafting in his class (line drawings with inking, then moving to computers) he and I actually had a good friendship. Over those 4 years, I watched him build this and other airplanes from scratch. This one has about a 7 foot wingspan and the wings are covered with silk as real planes were.

As he and I duscussed different things over those years, I told him I was considering the USMC. He told me he was Air Force. How that came to be was funny. Back then, he told me he had signed up for the Marines and was in the holding area waiting for reps to come and pick up their new recruits. The Marine DI came and said something to thr effect of "all you mother fuckers who want to join my beloved Corps, move you fucking ass in line here, NOW"! This was followed by the AF guy saying something along the lines of "all of the gentlemen signed up for the AF, please form a line and follow me." Thats how he told me he ended up in the AF.

WK passed away about a year ago from cancer. His widow didn't know what to do with all of the planes. She gave me this one and I have it hanging in my shop now.

One last VERY important detail I should mention about WK. He only had one arm. After the AF, he was working on a rail road and lost his right arm at the shoulder. All of the drafting, building and FLYING these model air planes was all with only one arm.

Thanks to all who took the time to read all of this and letting me remember WK...

Got a big post going elsewhere about my trip to Cape Cod this is a snippet from it.....

A few years ago in P'Town we were stopping to get some pizza.

The pizza shop is BYOB and across the street is this liquor store....

P8218865[1].jpg

I went in and got a bottle of wine.

The proprietor noted my USMC cover and asked if I was a Marine. I explained to him I had been in back in the 80s but wasnt "in" the Marine Corps right now. Always a little weird how to answer that despite the "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" thing.

He told me of his father that served in WWII.

His father, Arthur D. Swartz, was the OOD at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941.

In the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" his Mother and Dad are depicted sitting down to eat breakfast when the attack begins and his Dad rushes from the breakfast table to organize a fight.

He is mentioned in here (starting at about page 23 or so) and seems to have made a difference that day...

HyperWar: Infamous Day: Marines at Pearl Harbor
    Infamous Day: Marines at Pearl Harbor(Marines in World War II Commemorative Series)
    www.ibiblio.org

His Dad did a fantastic job keeping his head.

The cool thing is the shadow box the son has....

P8218860[1].jpg

P8218861[1].jpg

Other info I found on the net about his Dad includes he was hastily put into service with IIRC the "7th Defense Battalion" and sent to Midway.

Troops going to Midway were pretty much expendable. The powers that be thought it was going to be another Wake.

His Dad than went to Guadalcanal. I found a piece about him seeking out a classmates grave and when he saw it unmarked he personally ensured that a Star of David was placed to mark the grave. I think its neat that despite the shit of Guadalcanal where just eating was a primary survival struggle his Dad showed humanity.

He got banged up on Guadalcanal and was sent home to the Hospital in Chelsea/Charlestown.

The son says Dad "escaped" from the hospital. Stole some clothes off a locals clothes line and went to his home of record in MA where the shop keeper is pretty certain due to dates and ages that he was conceived.

Neat piece of hidden history Im very glad I stumbled into because of a hat.

Last edited:
    Have seen more than a few holes in the spotter, none has smoked the stick while I was pulling.

R
    The wood ones weren't too bad, but the plastic spindles really exploded when hit. Learned the hard way, always wear glasses in the pits.
    We used to shoot at Camp Smith in Peekskill NY. Ancient targets frames. They used to pass a bucket of grease around before the match to lube the poles. It was a workout for sure. Loved every minute of it.

Reactions: Rthur
    You should have grabbed a bottle of that EH Taylor. Good stuff IMO.
    Got a big post going elsewhere about my trip to Cape Cod this is a snippet from it.....

A few years ago in P'Town we were stopping to get some pizza.

The pizza shop is BYOB and across the street is this liquor store....

P8218865[1].jpg

I went in and got a bottle of wine.

The proprietor noted my USMC cover and asked if I was a Marine. I explained to him I had been in back in the 80s but wasnt "in" the Marine Corps right now. Always a little weird how to answer that despite the "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" thing.

He told me of his father that served in WWII.

His father, Arthur D. Swartz, was the OOD at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941.

In the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" his Mother and Dad are depicted sitting down to eat breakfast when the attack begins and his Dad rushes from the breakfast table to organize a fight.

He is mentioned in here and seems to have made a difference that day...

HyperWar: Infamous Day: Marines at Pearl Harbor
    Infamous Day: Marines at Pearl Harbor(Marines in World War II Commemorative Series)
    www.ibiblio.org

His Dad did a fantastic job keeping his head.

The cool thing is the shadow box the son has....

P8218860[1].jpg

P8218861[1].jpg

Other info I found on the net about his Dad includes he was hastily put into service with IIRC the "7th Defense Battalion" and sent to Midway.

Troops going to Midway were pretty much expendable. The powers that be thought it was going to be another Wake.

His Dad than went to Guadalcanal. I found a piece about him seeking out a classmates grave and when he saw it unmarked he personally ensured that a Star of David was placed to mark the grave. I think its neat that despite the shot of Guadalcanal where just eating was a primary survival struggle his Dad showed humanity.

He got banged up on Guadalcanal and was sent home to the Hospital in Chelsea/Charlestown.

The son says Dad "escaped" from the hospital. Stole some clothes off a locals clothes line and went to his home of record in MA where the shop keeper is pretty certain due to dates and ages that he was conceived.

Neat piece of hidden history Im very glad I stumbled into because of a hat.

First time it happened, I thought the shooter hit the steel frame and it was a bullet frag. When I pulled the target, i saw what was left of the plastic spindle.
    One of my early 600 yd matches i hit the spindle and watched the spotter fall out of the target. Guy scoring says” you hit the spindle”. I replied. Thats only good if its an x or ten ring, not a damn 8 ring”

• Love
    Reactions: pjparker