• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cool time 'tween shots ?

Re: cool time 'tween shots ?

For me I test the loads like I was shooting a string in a match fire, let the gun come out of recoil eject the round stare through the scope count to like 20, then take my time before firing, probably like a minute I guess. Depending on how many charges I'm testing I may let it sit a little if I get above 25 rounds.

Dan Newberry's instruction on OCW method say wait 2 minutes, but longer in the heat. I shoot way to fast I got to admit, but constantly reach up and grab the barrel. If its barely warm, I shoot again.

A lot of this will depend on the barrel. Heavy barrel? Also the temp of the day and if there's any cooling breeze.

I usually shoot up to 50 rounds over a 90 minute period and have no loss of accuracy or noticeable speed variations. Barrel is a 5-R Milspec in .308 and so far no issues with this "schedule". OTH, some of the smaller, faster, caliber shooters have "heat issues" if they don't allow for lots of cool down time.

The 2 minutes will also give your eyes a rest between shots!!
The older we get, the more rest we need!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: continentaldrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During load development,How long do you wait between shots on a summer day....80*-90*, GAP 300WM w/26" fluted heavy barrel</div></div>

I don't mean to be a smartass, but it's almost winter, and you're in Colorado ... why the summer day constraint?

I shoot my first OCW set, ~ 7-8 shots over a ~ 5 minute period. Then I wait 5-10 minutes and shoot again. If it's hot out, I might wait 10-15 minutes.

in the summer months, its the hottest, no constraint. In cooler weather i keep shooting till i feel the barrel getting warm. I was just curious what time frame between shots other members used. Generally i will wait no more than 1 minute.

I test my loads under as close a firing cadence/COF as possible to the intended manner of employment.

IMHO, the load <span style="font-style: italic">must</span> perform under expected conditions, or I'm not developing it properly. Barrel heating according to expected conditions must be taken into full consideration.

Concurrently, any evidence of pressure issues under less than peak temps becomes a matter for concern.

Greg

I bought a Kintrex infrared thermometer for about $20. I have been monitoring barrel temperature between shots in an attempt to keep it as consistent as possible when testing. By keeping the temperature as consistent as possible, I am eliminating one more variable that might explain any observed differences. For $20...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 2 minutes will also give your eyes a rest between shots!!
The older we get, the more rest we need!! LOL </div></div>

For the kind of rest you are suggesting I prefer my recliner and a good boring movie. The kind my wife likes. As long as I don't snore too loud she just ignores me.