• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cooper m54 Excalibur?

Hookman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
Franklin, TN.
After looking high and low for a Gap non-typical, Sako 85 Stainless as a new hunting rifle in 260, I came across a new Cooper m54 Jackson Excalibur that would fit the bill.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these rifles? Any thoughts on the action, stock, bedding and accuracy?

I have several, and all have been very accurate. I've been able to average around 1/2 moa without much load development, some better, none worse. I don't think that's bad for rifles that are definitely configured as a hunter, not a bench queen. The fit is nice, the triggers are a little heavy for target work but great for hunting. The actions are generally fairly trim - no excess bulk. My personal opinion is that for hunting they are more accurate than necessary. They are nice rifles that I have a lot of pride in owning and using.

If you ever need them, their customer service is excellent. I've talked to them about a custom build and they are very knowledgeable and obviously love rifles

I think you will enjoy one if you decide to get it. The good news is that the twist in the 260 is actually usable with a wide range of good bullet weights, my one complaint with them is that to get a fast twist 223 you have to order it.

Hope you post pictures once you get it set up.

Last edited:
Agree w Smithcollector, have had a few and all were shooters. Wish they were a little less expensive, like $1750 or so would be perfect as all mine have been $2K to $2500

One of the reasons I want to go with a Cooper is they have a 1:8 twist barrel. That's perfect for the 260. Although they are a bit pricey, they are less then a full custom build. But for a semi-custom rifle I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.

I'll definitely post pics when I get her.

I have a Cooper Excalibur chambered in 6.5-284 and it shoots great. It's well under .5 MOA. I tried to post pics but couldn't as I am on my phone.

I had a Montana Varmint in 308 and it was a nice rifle, well made, accurate, great 3 lug action, good trigger, nothing to really complain about.

I bought one of Cooper's .308 Win Raptor rifles a few months ago. The rifle is nicely built and is accurate. I'm getting < 0.5 MOA at 100 yards accuracy with hand loads. It is pretty much the same as the Colt rifle Cooper makes for them. I like the short bolt throw which makes for faster follow-up shots. All the rifles come with a 3 shot test target, which is shot at less than 100 yards.