• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coos Bay OR vs Reno NV area Shooting facilities

RTV

Rock the Vote
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
hello,
me and my family are thinking about relocating to either coos bay OR or the reno nevada area (no specific town for nevada just close to the CA border in north nevada)
i was hoping that some members of the Hide could fill me in on what the shooting environment is like in those regions.

Competitions?
1000+ yard ranges?

any info that could be provided would be greatly appreciated =)

I know there are matches in northern nevada, but I dont follow any of that. I can say that the state is 85% public land, and long range shooting opportunities are everywhere. In fact when you live here, theres no need whatsoever to go to a range ever again, which is the best scenario I can think of.

A2016A67-4FE5-4617-8126-CCF0F273F6A1.jpeg
E47D20AD-1ACC-443E-83A9-DCCC514AB842.jpeg
F8CF05F2-C569-4094-8368-D04312E47D6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Totally different climates, though. Many persons have trouble with the long, wet winter in coastal Oregon.

Reactions: RTV
hello,
me and my family are thinking about relocating to either coos bay OR or the reno nevada area (no specific town for nevada just close to the CA border in north nevada)
i was hoping that some members of the Hide could fill me in on what the shooting environment is like in those regions.

Competitions?
1000+ yard ranges?

Check out the Palomino Valley Gun Club. They host a number of matches at the Washoe County Shooting facility up 1000 yards.
As mentioned, lots of public land to shoot on, but discouraged during the hot dry months due to the fire danger.
Housing in Reno has gotten quite expensive (again). Lots of growth, many fleeing California.
NV, thanks to Washoe and Clark counties, is pretty much a blue state now. Pretty conservative outside of these two areas.

Check out the Palomino Valley Gun Club. They host a number of matches at the Washoe County Shooting facility up 1000 yards.
As mentioned, lots of public land to shoot on, but discouraged during the hot dry months due to the fire danger.
Housing in Reno has gotten quite expensive (again). Lots of growth, many fleeing California.
NV, thanks to Washoe and Clark counties, is pretty much a blue state now. Pretty conservative outside of these two areas.

Really?
Thats very disappointing although not surprising.

I would have figured NV to be the more conservative choice.

It would suck to live in a state where I know if I ever had to use my firearms for self defense that I would be fighting an uphill battle against liberals who are either A. Against firearms/didn't like what I used or B. Believe that you don't have the right to defend yourself with lethal force when confronted with an intruder/lethal force.

Fuck it though seems like liberal leaning people fleeing blue states are taking over the rest of the country. Why let em win by avoiding a state they are currently taking over?

Really?
Thats very disappointing although not surprising.

I would have figured NV to be the more conservative choice.

It would suck to live in a state where I know if I ever had to use my firearms for self defense that I would be fighting an uphill battle against liberals who are either A. Against firearms/didn't like what I used or B. Believe that you don't have the right to defend yourself with lethal force when confronted with an intruder/lethal force.

Fuck it though seems like liberal leaning people fleeing blue states are taking over the rest of the country. Why let em win by avoiding a state they are currently taking over?
Blue government, and the two major city centers run the vote. Current state of things is pretty good, but as always the snowflakes seek to change things. Leave those places and its all conservatives...like all. The legislature only meets every two years as well, so things move pretty slowly. We’re a few decades behind cali in gun legislation. Climate is great, and I shoot all year. I actually prefer the winters generally. My SoCal shooting spots were 110 degrees in the summer. Here its 95, and 10 minutes away, instead of two hours.

Whats the connection to California? I mean why stay close to the border? Im the same way, and spend a fair amount of time hunting and fishing in cali. Just curious.

Last edited:
Really you can not discount the rain. Probably ought to be good with the idea that some days you're going to drive into the site and hope the cloud cover lifts so you can see the target, and some days you'll hang out for an hour and have to pack it in b/c you can not see. 40 degrees and raining while laying in a puddle, is a fairly common experience as well.

If you haven't, read the first few pages of Sometimes a Great Notion - take note of how the rain is described and peoples' regard for it. Nice days at the coast really are nice. There's that, too.

Blue government, and the two major city centers run the vote. Current state of things is pretty good, but as always the snowflakes seek to change things. Leave those places and its all conservatives...like all. The legislature only meets every two years as well, so things move pretty slowly. We’re a few decades behind cali in gun legislation. Climate is great, and I shoot all year. I actually prefer the winters generally. My SoCal shooting spots were 110 degrees in the summer. Here its 95, and 10 minutes away, instead of two hours.

Whats the connection to California? I mean why stay close to the border? Im the same way, and spend a fair amount of time hunting and fish in cali. Just curious.

Friends/family north cal region so the big draw to NV is being able to be only a few hours away from them and still keep my rights.

Really you can not discount the rain. Probably ought to be good with the idea that some days you're going to drive into the site and hope the cloud cover lifts so you can see the target, and some days you'll hang out for an hour and have to pack it in b/c you can not see. 40 degrees and raining while laying in a puddle, is a fairly common experience as well.

If you haven't, read the first few pages of Some Times a Great Notion - take note of how the rain is described and peoples' regard for it. Nice days at the coast really are nice. There's that, too.

Thats a very good tip defenitly want to pack some things along to make that an easier ride... or get a truck with a shell on it haha.

Currently my favorite times to go shooting are when it is raining/freshly snowed so I can have the place to myself and enjoy the suppressors to the fullest but thats all with a nice covering and bench to sit at... in the middle of nowhere... probably a different story.

Nevada is full of snakes.

Ya in the middle of nowhere its so much nicer! 20 degrees out, dead calm, with light snowfall. Perfect shooting weather. But really there isnt that much snow so its not even worth thinking about. Longest snow stays on the ground here is 3-4 days.

For a desert, there are shockingly few rattlesnakes. We’re talking northwest nevada. Ive seen one in three years, and shoot several times a week. Handful of gopher snakes.
I still have nightmares of going to get my golf ball in the rocks, two feet from the fairway, in Las Vegas. Sidewinder heaven.

I still have nightmares of going to get my golf ball in the rocks, two feet from the fairway, in Las Vegas. Sidewinder heaven.
I make it a point to look for them when I'm out and about. One of the coolest animals if you ask me. Your putter would have made a fine snake stick. Sidwinders are the sissies of the rattlesnake world anyway.

I make it a point to look for them when I'm out and about. One of the coolest animals if you ask me. Your putter would have made a fine snake stick. Sidwinders are the sissies of the rattlesnake world anyway.

I thought most rattlesnakes where sissies? That's why they have the rattle because they don't want to fight. The issue comes when you startle them because they didn't see you coming before you were already in their safe zone...

I've lived a few places with a good amount of rattlesnakes lol. I remember coming home from the range during summer and you would pass 3 or 4 of them laying on the road keeping warm in about a mile lol

I thought most rattlesnakes where sissies? That's why they have the rattle because they don't want to fight. The issue comes when you startle them because they didn't see you coming before you were already in their safe zone...

I've lived a few places with a good amount of rattlesnakes lol. I remember coming home from the range during summer and you would pass 3 or 4 of them laying on the road keeping warm in about a mile lol
That's true, but sidwinders are tiny, even more skittish, with the least potent venom. I had a childhood friend who had one for a pet. We handled it like any other snake. He had a red diamondback as well, which was also really cool. I dont suggest that for anyone, but the reality of being around them is pretty benign. Your pets on the other hand...

It really is weird where I am. I have neighbors who’ve never seen a rattlesnake in 30 years around here. The place should be crawling, but it just isnt.

hello,

Competitions?
1000+ yard ranges?

There is a decent range north of Reno. The associated club, Palomino Valley Gun Club has all kinds of competitions.

If you do move to the Reno NV area stay out of Washoe County, they are trying to out "woke" CA. The state is going to shit and is run by the libtards from Vegas, the same way Oregon is run by the shitbags in Portland.

Reactions: NV_Dmax and RTV
Moved back to Oregon 2 years ago, now live south of Coos Bay. Other than for shotguns for trap or sporting clays, there are no gun ranges in this area. Two gun ranges if you don't mind driving some are in Florence and Grants Pass. Florence is about an hour north and you must be a member to shoot there. Max distance is 300 yards. http://www.siuslawgunclub.com/

Grants Pass is 2.5 hours a way and a bigger, more developed range. Max distance there is 600 yards and to shoot that distance requires advance planning. https://jcsa-gunrange.com/

As previously said, here is a lot of State, BLM and Forest Service land around that is logged which you can set up to shoot longer ranges. May take you a while to find a place to shoot as there is not near the logging that goes on anymore. Once you find a place to shoot, you will have 3 to 5 years before trees growing back forces you to find a new place to shoot. You will need a range finder, your own targets and related stuff. Note that by mid summer if it is dry like last year, fire season starts shutting down activities in forests.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised how conservative Coos County is. I would say similar to SE Idaho where I moved back from. That said, you would be in Oregon and the population in the Willamette Valley seems to think they know best of how to run the entire state. Would be nice if the State of Jefferson would occur,