• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Copper colored gas port deposits

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
Just back from the aerial gunnery range. Crew chiefs are talking about copper colored deposits on the M240 gas pistons. Barracks lore is that the deposits are some carbon compound formed at high temp. The deposits are a bitch to remove. I've seen the same colored deposits on the adjustable gas system of my Sig 556. Its almost a plating look the color of a shiny penny. Would welcome an explanation and reference so my door gunners will view me with the propper reverence. CW2

Re: Copper colored gas port deposits

hit it with some "patch out wipe out" or other aggressive copper remover and see what happens.

The other guys nailed it. Vaporized copper from the jackets transferring to your gas system. Copper and carbon remover will clean it right up the copper colored lumps are plated carbon deposits. Hth!

Thank you gentlemen. Your answers (and my delivery) were met looks of awe and respect. The Punisher Door Gunners are smarter men today. CJ