• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Copper Creek "Gas Gun loads" clone? (from scout)

zeroz

3m ta3
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
South central, co
Trying to bring this over from scout. Not sure how it will look.

Sergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
317 posts this site

Anyone "duplicate" Copper Creek ammo?
04/25/2016

I just picked up a nice AR10. Looking to duplicate Copper Creek 308 gas gun ammo. I have the 175's, WLR's, and cases. My powders to choose from are H4350 (?), IMR4064, RL15, and Varget. I really don't like load development and since this is a fun gun anything <1 MOA is very acceptable. This gun hammers with Copper Creek rounds but I'm not down for $1.50+ a shot.

Shooting a 20" 1/10 rifle length gas mostly unsuppressed.

19dsniperX

Sergeant
143 posts this site

Re: Anyone "duplicate" Copper Creek ammo?
04/25/2016
(1 vote)

Federal Gold Medal Match is 41.75 grains of IMR 4064, so i would start low and work up. Work in the range of 41.7-42.0 grains. But, don't take my word for it. Do your own research and make sure you start low and work up!

nilescoyoteX

First Sergeant
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
4220 posts this site

04/26/2016

43.1 grains Varget in Lapua brass with 175's seated around 2.815ish. 2564fps, 1 inch of vertical with 5 shots at 300 yards in my 20" rock creek maten build
same rifle but 155 lapua scenar and 40.8 grains of AR-Comp and laupa brass gives 2725, 2 inches of vertical at 300 and remained the same at 700.
If your using Winchester brass you may need to add a couple tenths.

In my 16" Ballistic advantage barrel the velocity of these drops about 110-120fps.

jeremyp111X

Sergeant
118 posts this site

04/27/2016

19dsniper has given you the clone load for FGMM 175gr and it shoots very well for me as well as many others and I'd recommend giving it a try. If Copper Creek 175gr shoots great for you and you really want to copy it then you may want to pull one apart and measure the powder charge and try to figure out what powder they are using. If you can't figure it out on your own then you can post a picture of it and ask for help from others. I'm assuming you're using the $30/box version of their 175gr which utilizes Remington brass but what I can't find is what bullets they are using. Give Copper Creek a call and see if they'll tell you. I'm sure they will...it's not that big a deal to keep it a secret. Hope this helps and please post back what you find on the Copper Creek if you decide to pull one apart to do some sleuthing.

JRHill85X

Sergeant
317 posts this site

04/27/2016

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll just do a quick development with the RL15 and 4064 based around popular weights for a gas gun. Copper Creek uses the SMK's so I'm stocked up on those.
I hope I'm not the only one that loathes load development

tnichols1X

First Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
1035 posts this site

04/30/2016

I hate load development as well. I tried RL15/175SMK combo in my Gap10 with average results. 0.5-0.75 MOA for the most part. Got tired of dicking with it and went back to Copper Creeks Gas Gun load. Consistent 0.3-0.4 MOA with that ammo. Josh wins!

GregLangeliusX

First Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
5047 posts this site

05/01/2016 Last edited 05/01/2016 by GregLangelius

M-14/M1A 1Kyd supersonic load:
Rem brass F/L resized, Fed 210M FGMM primer, 175SMK 2.815" COAL, 42.2gr IMR-4064. Other brass and large rifle primers can work too, but may require powder charge adjustments.
This load was very solid all the way out to 1000yd out of the med wt barrel Springfield Armory M1A 'Loaded' model. It has shown promise in bolt guns, just never had an AR-10 to try it with.
Unfamiliar with Copper Creek ammunition; I load for the gun, and not for the ammo label. This load has been in my book for well over a decade.
Greg

surprise308X

Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
323 posts this site

05/03/2016

TAG

Wondering if the OP (JRHill85) had any luck researching this?

I called them to see if they would give up the powder they were using and it was an emphatic, "No, we are not interested in giving load information but you can send in the gun and we can do load development for you."

I get it. Thats their business. That said, I give out plenty of free advice in my line of work and its not like I was trying to waste an hour of their time asking them about techniques and such. I am not looking to buy any more "gas gun loads" (they didnt shoot that great anyway) but was interested in the powder for ongoing load development on my .308 GAP-10 that is proving to be a little picky load wise. I'll pull one apart soon and start trying to figure out the powder.