• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Copper Flakes

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Im on my 2nd lot ever of reloading. I noticed on some cases i get copper flakes. This is happening when I'm seating the bullets (Forester press and micrometer die). I checked case and bullet concentricity post operation and i get;
Case neck .001 - .003
Bullet .002 - .004

From what i've read this is within limits but I wanted to know if this is expected, copper shaving off as i seat the bullets, or i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Are you not chamfering your brass?

Left is a square mouth that will shave bullets, right is chamfered to make a smooth transition in.
chamfer.jpg

I get flakes all the time from my seating die. I chamfer inside and out. I don’t worry about it much. I assume it could be fixed by polishing the stem of the die. Berger AR hybrids. Maybe other bullets wouldn’t have an issue.

I think both of the above are correct. A more aggressive inside chamfer will probably rectify it, but it's a lot easier to get flakes if you are loading cheap, plated bullets. A jacketed bullet that cost more than a quarter is going to be hard to get flakes even if you could put a tiny T-square on your case mouth.

A bit of Imperial Dry Neck Lube will also help make bullet seating easier and avoid having copper scraped off.

Reactions: Fig
I agree, I only kiss the outside of the neck to remove any possible burrs, definitely not looking to achieve a visible chamfer like that.

I wondered about that, I was always told you didn't want to end up with a sharp edge. The inside looks perfect, the outside is way too much. Like has been said, we just want to remove the bur.