• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Copper Fouling Question

tunacan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Utah, SLC
I recently built a 6.5x284. I have a Benchmark barrel on it and it still copper fouls quite a bit. I currently have 160 rounds through it. It shoots very well but I hate the fact that it fouls so much.

Is this just the result of the caliber. I have had other barrels and they have cleaned up much easier than the Benchmark, but they were different calibers.

It takes me quite a while with Kroil and Sweets to get all of the copper out. The carbon fouling cleans easily.

Any suggestions, comments?????

Re: Copper Fouling Question

If it shoots well stop worrying about copper. Clean the barrel when accuracy drops off. Worry more about carbon then the copper.

Going to all the trouble to strip the copper out may just cause more harm then good.

Do a search on barrel cleaning and you will see there are many opinions and techniques on how to clean. Myself I don't subscribe to most of them.

If your truly concerned about the copper, and only copper fouling, get KG-12.

Search hear and on the web you'll see some studies done that reflect how well it works. Nice thing is, its not harmfull to teh bore and doesn't smell like crap, as compared with some other products that can potentially damage the bore.

I tested it and never went back to other products.

JeffVN

Keep shooting it. Some barrels copper others dont. As long as it shoots well dont sweat it. I have a Barlein 5R on one of my .308s that coppered until I had about 350 rounds through it. It never effected accuracy one bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html </div></div>

I just found an error on that page, and reported it.
That should be Darrell Holland, not Dave Holland.

---------------------------------------

Get KG-12 and stop using the Ammonia based solvents in the bore.