• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Corned Beef- what is your cooking option?

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
For years I have cooked corned beef in a crockpot.... all day on low while at work...

this year I am trying the pressure cooker.

Anyone cooking a corned beef? Care to share your method?

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
My sammich maker uses the oven.
I'm not allowed in the kitchen except to open stubborn jars.

Reactions: wh20crazy
Smoker. This time of year my wife picks up a dozen or so for $2 per pound (point cut) and we freeze them. We have a big family so I cook 2 at a time and use the leftovers for corn-beef hash after Mass on Sunday.

Soak for a couple hours to reduce salt.
Rub the included packet(ground up) and Project Smoke Fennel Pepper rub.
Set my easy bake oven (Traeger) to 225 and put in a 4hr Amaz'n smoke tube.
After 4 hrs increase temp to 250-275
After an hour or so use the Texas Crutch (wrap in foil) or I just put in a preheated cast iron pan with lid. Turn cooker up to 350-400.
Run it all the way up to 210 degrees internal temp to render the fat and break down all the connective tissue.

Very easy and turns out like brisket if you don't rush it.

Reactions: Barneybdb
For years I have cooked corned beef in a crockpot.... all day on low while at work...

First, I cure my own. it takes about 10 days, and I got mine in the brine on 3/6. I know it's too late for that now, but try it the next chance you get and you'll discover a much better corned beef.

I split the brisket I started with into 2 pieces. Both went into the same brine. On 3/17, I'll do the normal braise on 1 piece. It takes 3 - 31/2 hours to get nice and tender. You can add potatoes and carrots after 2 1/2 hours and cabbage a little later. I haven't tried it in a pressure cooker, but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. They usually work well on braise recipes.

For the other piece, I soak it for a bit to get rid of the saltiness and apply a pastrami rub. I let it sit overnight and then smoke it the next day. You can either cook it to brisket temperature (200-205°) ( I like this best) or pull it when it starts to stall (about 150°) and steam it to brisket temperature. Either way it will knock your socks off even if you're wearing panty hose.

I use an old family recipe for the corned beef brine. It doesn't differ much from what you'll find online. A good first run can be found at foodnetwork by Alton Brown. Since saltpeter can be hard to find easily, pink curing salt will work just fine, but follow the package directions for it instead of using the saltpeter amounts in Brown's recipe.Saltpeter (a nitrate) will yield a slightly better flavor, but you will be fine with pink curing salt (nitrite). I use something called LEM Backwoods Cure from Cabelas.

For the pastrami, you won't go wrong starting here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...s/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe.

Enjoy and brine your own next year. The difference is yuge..

Time is short in this fast paced world! I use the pressure cooker for corned beef. 30 minutes for chewy, 45 minutes for flakey.
Wham bam lets eat kids!
Also pressure cook Costco seasoned pork ribs. Half frozen ribs for 30 minutes of hissing and winner winner ribs for dinner!
I will admit that it’s not as good as grandmas cookin but she would still be proud!

According to my Dad, when they were first married, my Mom decided to cook corned beef and cabbage for my Grandfather. When it was done and they sat down to eat, Grandpa, while appreciative of her efforts, apparently smiled and said, "It's lovely Pat. You've done a fine job of it, but you know, back home we feed this to the pigs....." I imagine it was a quiet dinner.

Reactions: Ravenworks
First, I cure my own. it takes about 10 days, and I got mine in the brine on 3/6. I know it's too late for that now, but try it the next chance you get and you'll discover a much better corned beef.

I split the brisket I started with into 2 pieces. Both went into the same brine. On 3/17, I'll do the normal braise on 1 piece. It takes 3 - 31/2 hours to get nice and tender. You can add potatoes and carrots after 2 1/2 hours and cabbage a little later. I haven't tried it in a pressure cooker, but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. They usually work well on braise recipes.

For the other piece, I soak it for a bit to get rid of the saltiness and apply a pastrami rub. I let it sit overnight and then smoke it the next day. You can either cook it to brisket temperature (200-205°) ( I like this best) or pull it when it starts to stall (about 150°) and steam it to brisket temperature. Either way it will knock your socks off even if you're wearing panty hose.

I use an old family recipe for the corned beef brine. It doesn't differ much from what you'll find online. A good first run can be found at foodnetwork by Alton Brown. Since saltpeter can be hard to find easily, pink curing salt will work just fine, but follow the package directions for it instead of using the saltpeter amounts in Brown's recipe.Saltpeter (a nitrate) will yield a slightly better flavor, but you will be fine with pink curing salt (nitrite). I use something called LEM Backwoods Cure from Cabelas.

For the pastrami, you won't go wrong starting here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...s/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe.

Enjoy and brine your own next year. The difference is yuge..
I've got more learning to do, as we have both Sodium Nitrite here, as well as saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) and I want to learn more about each (used in foods) as well as the amounts used. Very interesting topic.

I've got more learning to do, as we have both Sodium Nitrite here, as well as saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) and I want to learn more about each (used in foods) as well as the amounts used. Very interesting topic.

I'm going to suggest don't use the Nitrates if you don't have to, depending on what your view of them health wise is.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I'm going to suggest don't use the Nitrates if you don't have to, depending on what your view of them health wise is.

In the curing process, nitrates are first converted to nitrites by bacteria before curing begins. Potassium nitrate is the old school cure that my mom used. She would be over 100 today, so availibility was an influence. Sodium nitrite is called for in more modern recipes. I've used both and think there is slightly better flavor development when using saltpeter, but my taste could be skewed by 'that's how mama did it" and reading non scientific recipes.

My mom used 1 Tbsp saltpeter to a pound of meat. Alton Brown uses 2 Tbsp to 2 1/2 lbs meat. When using LEM cure, I follow the package instructions of 1/4 tsp/lb. I've done it many times both ways, and it always worked well.

If you use neither, you will end up with an unappetizing looking hunk of grey meat.

W54XM-388 suggested not using nitrates. I don't have the knowledge to speak to that, so you may want to research that a bit. If you find that you'd rather use a sodium nitrite cure, you will still end up with a product that is exponentially better than store bought corned beef or sausage. Just follow the package instructions for what you buy. I've used Alton Brown's recipe substituting the package instruction quantities of pink salt cure and it's always come out really good.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Just threw one in the oven.

Using a Le Crueset Dutch oven....chopped up onion, celery, spring onion, cabbage, Whole Foods bought brisket.

Used chicken stock for the base, added the seasonings from the bag.

Just a quickly tossed together mess.

Last edited:
As I've stated, I know that I don't know, therefore I know that I have more to learn.

I know that I try to 'over-research' everything and it drives My Lady nutso. That's why she loves me. But I also know that charcouterie-wise, I want to get into cured/dried sausage/salami type things. I've got the cold-smoker here, and I want to kick-it-up-a-notch or three.

I also am wanting to know why I don't/wouldn't want to use this stuff? It's a process.

New England Corned Beef and Cabbage (serves 8-10)

8 lbs. of corned beef
8 garlic cloves
1 head of cabbage quartered
8 red potatoes (medium)
8 large carrots cut into 1 inch slices
4 parsnips or turnips...whichever you prefer cut into chunks
jar of black peppercorns
jar bay leaves
1 bunch of thyme
2 qt of beef stock
1 qt vegetable stock
2 bottles of Guinness Extra stout beer

Good french mustard

Horseradish sauce - refrigerate at least 2 hours
5 ounces of sour cream
3/8 cup hot or spicy horseradish
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 bunch of chives, chopped

Spice bag - Make 2
4 garlic cloves
10 peppercorn
4 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves

Take corned beef out of cryo-pac and rinse any brine or spices with cold water. Add enough water to a pot to cover the corned beef by 1 inch and bring to a simmer. Add the corned beef and cook it for 30 minutes. Do NOT let it boil. Take the corned beef out and dump the water. This step is essential to remove a lot of the salt that is impregnating the meat. Desalination is critical to a tasty final product

Place the corned beef back in the pot and add the stocks and Guinness. Add enough cold water to cover the corned beef by 2 inches. Add the spice bags. Raise to a boil and then IMMEDIATELY lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for about 2 hours. The meat should be somewhat fork tender. If not, cook for 30 more minutes. When reasonably tender, add the veggies but not the cabbage. Cook for 45 minutes longer. Add the cabbage and cook for 15-25 minutes longer. Total cook time for it all should be 3-3.5 hours.

While it is cooking, add all of the ingredients for the horseradish sauce into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Adjust taste by adding more horseradish or sour cream.

When the beef is done, slice it across grain and place on a platter surrounded by the veggies. Have a little broth on the side along with the horseradish sauce and mustard.

Enjoy

Reactions: MtnCreek
Needs some browning.....

image.jpg

I take out of package and wipe off.... saving every bit of wiping in the crock pot.

Then put the slab on Weber which has been set at highest heat... pegging the needle... for a couple of minutes a side until it is CHARRED. It's a benefit if you slather it with bacon grease because flames help charr.

Then put (with all the juice corny stuff) in crock pot for about 8 hours. With a chopped onion.

Serve on Rye with Sauerkraut, salad dressing and cheap yellow mustard. And some Provelone.

The char makes corned beef awesome!

Sirhr

Recipe above. I cooked 50 lbs at at time 2 companies ago in Santa Clara when I worked there. Me and my roommate who also worked there cooked a traditional dinner for over 100 people. One of 4 large pans.

It is amazing when you eat corn beef and it is tender, juicy and NOT salty. You add a little broth or mustard or horseradish or whatever have you and it is a really amazing taste.

You don't need Prime Beef to have a great meal.

Corned Beef for 100.jpg

Tomorrow I am making a Mexican Posole Soup. Cheap pork ribs and pork shoulder boiled in a beautiful broth slowly, a multi pepper red sauce that is better than....fill in the blank, and hominy.

Add lime, radishes, onion, cilantro as garnish and it is a hell of a meal

Reactions: Snipe260
1 can of Guinness
1 quart of beef stock
1 onion chopped
6 garlic cloves

Cook on high 10 hours. We make rubens instead of the traditional Corned beef and cabbage.
3DBAD3D7-6259-4750-9D18-740CE8E059ED.jpeg

Store-Bought Corned Beef Brisket in the Smoker

Last week I showed you how to cure your own brisket to make homemade pastrami and then how to prepare it and smoke it in your own smoker.

This week, let's look at purchasing an already cured piece of beef from the store and how to turn that into something awesome in your smoker.

Helpful Information
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 8-10 hours
  • Smoker Temp: 240°F
  • Meat Finish Temp: 200°F
  • Recommended Wood: Hickory, Cherry or Maple (a mixture of these is great)
What You’ll Need
  • 3-4 lb corned beef brisket
  • Dijon Mustard or spicy brown mustard
  • Jeff's original rub recipe
  • Foil pan
  • Foil
What to Purchase
You'll probably see these everywhere now that we are this close to St. Patricks day and they usually run in the 3-4 lb size. You are looking for one that feels tender, has about a quarter inch fat cap and has a fairly even thickness.

Other than that, there's not much to it.

If you are interested in wet curing your own corned beef briskets, check out this post.

Step 1: Prep for Cooking
The long, drawn out portion of making pastrami is in the curing of the brisket. Since we are purchasing the meat already ready to go, the final steps in preparing and smoking it is very easy to do and other than taking a little time in the smoker, it is hard to get wrong.

Optional Test/Remove Some of the Salt

Cut off a very small slice of the beef and do a quick fry on it using a skillet. If it's perfect, then continue but if you find that it is saltier than you like (common problem), you can do something about that at this stage in the game.

1. Place the brisket in a pan of water in the fridge for 2 hours.
  2. Test again
  3. If it's good now, then proceed, otherwise, change the water and soak it for 2 more hours
  4. Test again, hopefully it's good now so you can proceed to the mustard and seasoning
Place the meat down in a pan to keep things less messy.

I recommend using some brown spicy mustard or your favorite Dijon mustard to help my original rub stick to the top and sides of the brisket.

Slather on a thin coat.

My original rub is the cat's meow and the bees knees on a whole lot of things including this corned beef brisket.

Be generous with it!

After a few minutes, the tiny bit of salt in my rub pulls some of the juices to the surface and makes the rub look wet.

That's exactly what you want.

Flip it over to fat side up and do the same thing again with the mustard and more of my original rub. Be sure to get the sides with mustard and rub as well.

Believe it or not, the corned beef brisket is now ready for the smoker.. see how easy that was?

Step 2: Set Up the Smoker
Let the brisket sit there in the pan while you go get the smoker ready.

Any smoker will work as long as you can maintain a temperature of 240°F with indirect heat and provide smoke for about 4-5 hours.

If you use a smoker that has a water pan, fill it up as well.

When the smoker is ready to go, it's time to get cooking!

Step 3: Smoke Time
You can place the meat directly on the smoker grate if you like but it's also completely ok to leave it in the pan. Just place the pan on the smoker grate and leave it there while it cooks.

This also makes it easier when we cover it later with foil.

Using a Thermometer
I highly recommend using a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the meat while it cooks.

You can also use a handheld thermometer to check it now and then and see where the temperature is.

Step 4: Cover or Wrap
Once the brisket reaches 150-160°F , it's a good idea to wrap or cover the meat with foil to allow a little braising. This will tenderize the meat even further.

My brisket was in a pan so it was really easy to throw a piece of foil over it for a while.

Once the brisket hit about 185°F, I removed the foil to help the crust to firm back up.

Step 5: Finish and Serve
Corned beef briskets are often tenderized with papain and other ingredients from the factory to help make them end up more tender so the finish temperature is sort of dependent on the tenderness factor.

I sometimes use a long skewer to check the tenderness once the meat hits about 190°F and I dont' call it done until I can push the skewer in with very little resistance. This is usually anywhere from 195 to 200°F.

When the pastrami is finished, remove it from the heat and keep foil tented over it for at least 30 minutes before slicing into it.

SMF is one of my other favorite forums online! Gotta be careful though they’ll get you spending money just about as bad as the crew here at SH will!

Reactions: Barneybdb
Boil as usual with 2 cans of Guinness, season packet and water. Take out when almost done and move to smoker for 2hrs at 190deg. Mix dijon mustard with a bit of cyan pepper and cover brisket, continue on smoke for 30-45min. Done.

I've cooked it every common way. By far my favorite is to rinse the brine off a corned beef flat and smoke it over applewood untill 200° internal temp.

That would make it more like pastrami, but not quite.

Corned Beef was on sale at the grocery yesterday.... shelves were bare of lots of other stuff, but picked up a Corned Beef.

Cooked it in the instant pot.

Corned beef, 4 cups water, seasoning packet, 1/4'd union, and lots of garlic. Cook for 70 minutes then let it set for 15 minutes. Take out the meat and leave the broth and add potatoes and cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes.

Was fantastic and only took like 2 hours total time.