• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Corps seeking alt 2 MEU (SOC) 1911 anyone know

BillCominos

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
www.myspace.com
The Corps is seeking an alternative to the MEU (SOC) 1911 anyone know which .45's they are considering to replace them with? (reason quoted for replacement was that it impractical to issue the MEU (SOC) 1911 in the quantities they need).... Thanks for any insights!

Re: Corps seeking alt 2 MEU (SOC) 1911 anyone know

Was also saddened to see the SAW is being semi-mothballed for an H&K M27!! Don't think the H&K will last though with the inability to swap barrels and the required reduced rate of full auto fire especially in warm/hot climates... And they are also dropping the Mk11 Mod 1 for the Army M110!

As usual, the Corps gets the hand me downs! LOL!

Hopefully they do stay with the .45 and hopefully they also stay with a 1911 design. I remember reading all of the parts that PWS had to use to build those up from surplus weapon and then many of those parts couldnt be acquired from some manufacturers anymore. Looks like a good time for the Springfield Armory MC Operator

The Marine Corps is looking for a new 1911 that is railed so they can use lights and lasers if the user wants. The pistol is still going to be a 1911 and I don't believe the make and model has been made public yet but I know it is a 1911. The 1911 is a great pistol but why they are going with that over a plastic gun that is more reliable and cheaper is beyond me seeing most of the MARSOC guys I know are running around with Glock's instead of their man guns.

I read an article a month or so back saying that Kimber put in a pistol, a custom smith put in a pistol(don't know the name but he says his can hit at 500 using the irons) and another maker.

I'll try to find it again tomorrow if I have time.

1911 in the quantities they need...Is the USMC going to make more Marines into MEU (SOC)Marines or is the Marine Corps going to get ride of the Beretta and issue every one a 1911 that needs a sidearm???

I was wrong, Kimber is not sumbitting a pistol for the new 1911.

Due to wear and tear of the MEU(SOC) pistols and increasing numbers of Marine personnel in Marine Force Recon and MARSOC, the U.S. Marines are looking commercially for replacements. Marine Corps Systems Command announced February 17, 2005, that it was going to purchase 150 Springfield Armory Professional Model pistols for use as MEU(SOC) pistols.[12] This is the same pistol used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation SWAT and Hostage Rescue Teams; however, it had previously been rejected for adoption as the ICQB. Despite the planned purchase of the commercial pistols, Marine Corps Systems Command has continued to solicit parts to build additional MEU(SOC) pistols.[13] In 2010, requirements were once more issued for an off-the-shelf system to replace the custom-built pistols. Three pistols have been offered to the USMC as a replacement for current M45 Pistols. Colt is offering their 01070RG (Rail Gun) pistol, which is derived from their existing XSE line of 1911-style pistols with a desert sand-colored surface treatment and Novak night sights. Springfield Armory is entering a variant of the full-sized Loaded MC Operator M1911A1 pistol with a military-standard 1913 rail, tritium night sights and finished with a two-tone black slide with an olive-drab green frame. The third entry from Karl Lippard Designs, a Colorado Springs-based arms maker, is called the Close Quarter Battle Pistol: an M1911A1-style pistol, built using S7 tool steel and a large number of proprietary components including accessory rail, grip safety, and sights.[14]

From wikipedia, can't find the original article right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Corps is seeking an alternative to the MEU (SOC) 1911 anyone know which .45's they are considering to replace them with? (reason quoted for replacement was that it impractical to issue the MEU (SOC) 1911 in the quantities they need).... Thanks for any insights! </div></div>

All right Sir. I asked a friend of mine who builds the MEUSOC 1911 at PWS in Quantico. He pretty much mirrors what CD posted up in this thread. Just thought we'd get it from the horses mouth. The following paragraph is what he answered when I sent him your question.

"Yes they are looking to replace the MEU(SOC) Pistol. I am not sure exactly why, the numbers have gone up and we currently have the contract to build 1500 additional pistols. I do know it is going to take us time to complete that build where industry can do it alot faster."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911 in the quantities they need...Is the USMC going to make more Marines into MEU (SOC)Marines or is the Marine Corps going to get ride of the Beretta and issue every one a 1911 that needs a sidearm??? </div></div>

From the horses mouth Nock...from my contact in Quantico.

"Not sure on this one"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps is looking for a new 1911 that is railed so they can use lights and lasers if the user wants. The pistol is still going to be a 1911 and I don't believe the make and model has been made public yet but I know it is a 1911. The 1911 is a great pistol but why they are going with that over a plastic gun that is more reliable and cheaper is beyond me seeing most of the MARSOC guys I know are running around with Glock's instead of their man guns. </div></div>

Same for you Chucky.

"Currently there is talk of a new service pistol for all services. The Air Force had the lead on this at one time not sure where it is at to this point."

For the costs that continue to build with having custom guns, high end 1911's and the armorers that have to tune and tweak them they would be better served with Glocks.
Ask how many of these guys have gone into a room and had to shoot someone with their 1911? Get a reliable pistol that you may or may not have to use.

Thanks for the S2 Gents! Will be interesting to see who they go with!!

What say you all on the dropping of the MKII Mod 1 in favor of the Army's M110? Seems like a good move financially & cross-service familiarity with the platform... Anyone see any con's?

The guys I know running around in MARSOC are using Glocks. MARSOC wanted a new 1911 becauase their pistols needed to have the option to be used with a light. That being said most guys carrying pistols are carrying them on their hips in a concealed type holster so the Glock 19 fits the bill a lot better. Not to mention a $400 pistol that service is usually changing springs and barrel no real gunsmithing required and for the cost of a high end 1911 you can buy 2 or 3 plastic pistols and replace them for less.

The 110 over the MK 11 is no surprise. The Army is running a lot of 110's and it has adjustable length of pull. That being said the Army is looking at a possible replacement for the 110. The Marine Corps running around with a bolt gun still in .308 is way behind the times though. For 90% of the .308 applications a gas or piston gun will everything the bolt gun will do but with a 20 round mag and lets face it bad guys don't stand still and there is no need for rapid bolt manipulation.

Thanks for the insights Chucky! I concur that the Corps is stuck in an almost romantic attachment with the bolt actions and it is well past the time to change platforms... My next build is going to be based loosely on the M110. It will be a challenge to see if I can build & shoot one comparable to my bolt actions... I know I will give up a little accuracy, but I like the challenge (and fast follow-ups!!!)!!

The average sniper shot is well under 800 yards and you can do that all day with a gas gun. The bolt gun is great for extreme precision or matches but not in an urban environment where you are hiking all over the world with it. Not to mention if you get into a hairy situation a gas gun with offset irons will get the job done a lot better than bang rack bang. Bolt actions are still needed just not in a .308 platform.

yep like chucky said, i think 308 bolt guns are old news, they serve no purpose in modern military applications. if your goin to carry a bolt might as well be a 300Wm or 338LM (both of which are NATO rounds).

.300 WM was obsolete the day .300WSM was invented.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the costs that continue to build with having custom guns, high end 1911's and the armorers that have to tune and tweak them they would be better served with Glocks.
Ask how many of these guys have gone into a room and had to shoot someone with their 1911? Get a reliable pistol that you may or may not have to use. </div></div>

Fuck a Glock!

Thank you for your very helpful and knowledgable insight on the subject at hand. I look forward to reading more of your educated opinions in future posts.

Amazing how any thread can turn into Glock vs. 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thank you for your very helpful and knowledgable insight on the subject at hand. I look forward to reading more of your educated opinions in future posts.

Amazing how any thread can turn into Glock vs. 1911 </div></div>

Shocking that so many can't see the merits of both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the costs that continue to build with having custom guns, high end 1911's and the armorers that have to tune and tweak them they would be better served with Glocks.
Ask how many of these guys have gone into a room and had to shoot someone with their 1911? Get a reliable pistol that you may or may not have to use. </div></div>

Fuck a Glock! </div></div>

I have two colt series 70 1911's love them great guns but in the sandbox Ill take the Glocks I carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Amazing how any thread can turn into Glock vs. 1911 </div></div>

Shocking that so many can't see the merits of both. </div></div>

My apologies to the thread. I just get a little tired of every time the topic of military sidearms comes up there is always that guy who has to add his two cents on the merits of Glock. So my current response is "Fuck a Glock".

The MEU (SOC) 1911 has been in use for quite some time and its use has been evaluated over and over. The problem big problem is going to be parts and labor in the current downsizing/ budget reduction state of the military.

Rumor has it that a very Special Army unit that is famous for the 1911 has the majority of their guys shooting glocks

Just my .02 The .308 cal sniper rifles need to go all semi auto as they are now very close to bolt guns.With that being said the services still need bolt guns and in my opinion the Army IS doing it right with the .300WM upgrade for longer precision stuff.

.300 WM is pointless when there are plenty of short action cartridges that offer the same or better performance. They should be shooting 7 WSM, not .300 WM.

You know, a lot of people talk about how the 1911 isn't reliable in sand or whatever but does anyone hear actually have ANY experience with subjecting a 1911 to sand then trying to make it run?? Seems like a lot is just hearsay. Has anyone hear personally done it with a Glock?? Come on guys, lets just use some brains here. I would argue that if the gun runs normally, it isn't going to be an automatic paperweight when subjected to sand.

I used to have a first gen Kimber. It ran flawlessly. One day a coworker (who was doing an article on some Beretta) brought up a bucket to the firing range I managed. In it was sand. He'd decided he'd throw the Beretta in the bucket of sand, shake it a few times, pull it out and attempt to fire it on the range. He did, and if memory serves, the gun ran. It was at this point, I threw my blued (half the bluing was worn off anyways) Kimber in shook the bucket several times, then took it out on the range. Did it work immediately? No. But I dropped the mag, racked the slide several times reinserted the mag, racked the slide one more time, placed sights on target, squeezed trigger, and boom. I emptied the entire rest of the mag without a problem. Was the action gritty? hell yes! But did she work? Again, Hell Yes.

I'm actually working with MARSOC right now and from the guys I've talked to, most prefer Glocks to the 1911s in their arms room. In their own words, they never have any doubt the Glocks will feed and fire.

I think the issue is that even the best weapon platform gets abused in a military arms room, be it a M240B, an M4, or a 1911. The weapon has multiple owners, each one who could completely disregard good maintenance practices. Once it gets to your hands, the weapon is a shadow of its potential.

I have a 1911 and a Glock. I love my 1911 and shoot it in competitions, but the gun in my nightstand is a Glock. I know it will go bang every time I squeeze the trigger.

As a former member of the group you are all talking about remember this; it’s your life, use what works for you not what someone else is using, DON’T BE A FOLLOWER BE A LEADER!!!

The M110 is nothing more then a tan Mk11 and believe me none of us are happy that it was adopted (esp considering there was talk of us getting a hk 417). The M110 package is a $25000 waste of money and personally I would like to have our M14 DMRs back. As for the 1911s we recently received about 30 new pistols (beautiful let me tell you) with more on the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a former member of the group you are all talking about remember this; it’s your life, use what works for you not what someone else is using, DON’T BE A FOLLOWER BE A LEADER!!! </div></div>

Well put. Additionally, I think a lot of people that "know it will work" are basing that decision on other people's experiences rather than the actual gun itself. Lets consider the average gun owner never runs more than a box of ammo through their gun. At that point, someone can't possibly be sure of a gun functioning every time if they haven't shot the freakin thing. I have literally seen failures from every single manufacturer. There is not a 100% reliable handgun mfr. out there, but my experience says H&K is the closest with Sig, Glock, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Smith and Wesson not terribly far behind. Lower on the list would be Beretta who would be followed distantly by Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300 WM is pointless when there are plenty of short action cartridges that offer the same or better performance. They should be shooting 7 WSM, not .300 WM.</div></div>

Bare in mind that the M24 was chambered for 7.62 NATO in a long action 700. The new XM2010 uses that action. I could understand if they had a short action platform to start with, then some SAM round would make sense.

I know these topics are fun, and most suggestions are what would be considered wishful thinking, the "I would rather have a _________, because _____________, and thats why I would choose it. Most cases its like the "this is why I should be elected Miss America", and all those in that group applaude, and the opposed sit and boo. The choice of military arms and their chamberings has NEVER been because it was the best. It is a much diffrent market than LE or civillian. Keep in mind, whoever gets a contract with the military, is getting a contract with the biggest, and most wide spread military in the world. Special Units get a bit more breathing room when it comes to what they get.

You have pros and cons to using a 1911 .45ACP. The pro, good power, reliable pistol. The con, .45ACP is not a NATO round. If your unit is out of ammo, no resupply, or it cant get through, you are totally SOL. You could say the same if you had a NATO cartridge, and were in a very remote location with no support from fellow NATO groups, but your chances of finding 9mm, 5.56, 7.62, and 12.7 are way better than .45ACP, 7WSM, or what ever round trumps what is used.

Another argument I have heard (in regard to Glocks), is that other military forces from other nations are employing them as a standard sidearm, so why cant we? Well, look at the size of the countries that use them. Between all 5 branches of the US Military we have about 1.4million active service members, and another 1.4million on reserve. Do any of these countries that Glock supplies to have anywhere near that amount? Some of those countries dont even have a population that high. Every firearm maker has to do what is in their means. If you are already supplying pistols to a dozen military units in Europe, in addition to the thousands of LE agencies around the world, and satisfy the civillian market, thats already a lot on your plate. You think that they could just add us to the plate? Scrap contracts with countries you have had going the whole time we dealt with Beretta? Constrict availibility to the public? From Glock's perspective you look at what you ALREADY have, and compare it to what you MIGHT get, and it is hardly worth it. They aren't hurting, a contract with us would not bail them out, they don't need it. They are more than capable of living within their means by not bothering with getting another contract that could replace ALL their existing contracts.

That being said, as for special units, I think a Glock 17 is a very wise choice. Its cost and reliability is outstanding. It takes little to maintain them and they run. The 9mm would be abundant to obtain, and the 17+1 capacity is a more combat effective route than 7 or 8+1. There is nothing a soldier can do with a Glock in combat that hasnt been done with a 1911 or M9.

I am not a Glock fan. I dont own one, and my use of them is required by my job. I carry back and forth between a USP40 and USP45, I love 1911s, and freely admit there are much better options out there. Once more people reach this conclusion, and understand the "how" and not the "why", these conversations become less argumentative.

The new MEU(SOC) = a Glock 19 or, if they adopt the long-debated "10mmNATO" cartridge, a .40S&W Glock 23.

1 - I hope they stick with the 1911, I would even like to see a double stack 9mm version
shocked.gif

2 - I hope that if they go with a high cap plastic gun, they go with the S&W M&P before the damn Glock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was also saddened to see the SAW is being semi-mothballed for an H&K M27!! Don't think the H&K will last though with the inability to swap barrels and the required reduced rate of full auto fire especially in warm/hot climates... And they are also dropping the Mk11 Mod 1 for the Army M110!

As usual, the Corps gets the hand me downs! LOL! </div></div>

I don't see how they are getting hand me downs. The mk11's are from my understanding fairly old and well used; they are getting NEW M110's- not used junk from the Army. The HK M27 is specific to the Corps, so there again- brand new gear, not hand me downs.

That said, I agree; I think the M27 may be beneficial, but it's not a sound replacement for an M249; it simply does not offer the same sustained firepower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300 WM is pointless when there are plenty of short action cartridges that offer the same or better performance. They should be shooting 7 WSM, not .300 WM. </div></div>

Yeah you said that twice now...

Can you load a 220gr pill into the short magnum chambering? I honestly don't know, but that is a major factor in the max effective range on the XM2010. Can the 7mm WSM stay super sonic to 1500yds? How much energy does it have at 1500yds? How does barrel life compare?

Should be a great pistol, I would imagine the smiths at Weapons Training Batallion were having a hard time keeping up with the old pistols. Those old frames were getting tired.

I chatted with a feller who builds the current MEUSOC at Quantico, he seems to think the decision is being contested. I guess we'll see.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chatted with a feller who builds the current MEUSOC at Quantico, he seems to think the decision is being contested. I guess we'll see....... </div></div>

NEGATIVE. It's a DONE DEAL as the contract was inked last week on 7/18/12.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&...dcc1ce4011bd2c5

The buzz is get one as it may very be the last 1911 used by US Military. There are some inherent problems w/ the slides cracking consistently in the same areas. Which allegedly will be rectified by adding material where the material was removed by machining creating the structural problems to begin with.

The Stainless Steel used is not ideal as it's structurally weaker than carbon steel, BUT if offers better corrosive properties than the carbon steel. There was a tradeoff/compromise in that regard.

We all know how the system works etc.