• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Correct ARC M10 ring height ?

Anointed1

It's the pills I swear
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2021
    Pacific Northwest
    So I'm looking to make some purchases along the way while I wait for my rifle to be completed by MPA. I bought the scope a week ago or so and have narrowed down my ring choice to the ARC M10's. At least I think I have lol. I know the Spuhr option is highly regarded...so much so that it almost keeps me on the fence between the two. It's not about cost really at this point considering how much I've already got into it...it's really based on the experience and opinion of Hide members.

Let me say this while I'm on the subject...I hope you guys realize how much you are valued by people like me for your knowledge and experience...and the fact that you freely share it...each of you should feel pretty good about the help you offer...words alone don't really express my thankfulness and I'm sure the deep appreciation of many others. That being said it also goes to the Mods and of course Frank...and also all the people in the background helping this site run like it does who aren't even known about or seen by most people. Ok...been wanting to say that for awhile so now it's been said ! When each of you look in the mirror...feel good about what you see as far as the value you bring to this site...from the sarcastic flamers who test the newbies and filter out the unstable with pigpiles...looking for bowhunters working in concrete benching 275 while wearing velcro shoes lmao...to the guy at the helm who started it all...I hope you all know how special what you have here is 👍

So...is the ring height of 1.10" (28mm) the right ones for mounting a Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 scope onto an MPA BA PMR Pro which has a X-caliber Blank/ MPA Chambered M24 Contour barrel with a 20 MOA Scope Rail ?...the scope will also be wearing the Aadland scope caps which I've ordered.

I guess I might as well ask now about the Spuhr rings as well...this is a little deeper as the options of different cants brings in another variable. If I wanted to get the most out of my scope on this rifle as far as elevation adjustment of course...considering the rifle already has a 20MOA scope rail and not wanting to make a good sight picture difficult with a proper cheek weld...would the additional cant of say the SP-4301 which has a 10.3 MOA cant or the SP-4601 which has a 20.6 cant accomplish this with their 1.18" (30mm) height ?...and which one would be the right one ?...or since the scope rail already has a 20MOA cant...would the Spuhr rings with zero cant but same height be the ones I need. OR...if the additional cant of 10.3 or 20.6 is the right choice in getting the most out of the scope...would either or both require the next step up in height like the SP-4302 or SP-4602 which both have a 1.5" (38mm) height.

Maybe the question about which Spuhr rings is confusing in how I asked it...so let me ask it this way...if the goals are to ...

1) get the most out of my scope adjustment wise for elevation by adding additional cant beyond the 20MOA of the scope rail.

2) but not change the angle to the point where it interferes with getting a good sight picture with a proper cheek weld.

3) maintaining comfortable clearance for Aadland scope caps.

4) this one a "want" but not "necessary" I suppose...being able to still utilize the pic rail section at the fore end of the stock which I believe is used for NV possibilities.

Which Spuhr rings are the perfect choice to accomplish the above goals on the referenced rifle and scope...

SP-4001.......0 cant 1.18" (30mm) height...or similar but zero cant
    SP-4301.....10 cant 1.18" (30mm) height
    SP-4601..20.6 cant 1.18" (30mm) height
    SP-4002........0 cant 1.5" (38mm) height
    SP-4302......10 cant 1.5" (38mm) height
    SP-4602...20.6 cant 1.5" (38mm) height

Possibly even more height ?

So does anyone have the same rifle and scope combo that can answer which rings I would want wether I choose ARC...which I'm leaning towards...or the Spuhrs ?

The 1.1" height will work fine. You can go a little higher if you wanted but I wouldn't go over 1.26". No need. Even 1.1" will give enough room.

On a 20 MOA base you will have about 20 mils of elevation so unless you need more there is no reason to add anymore elevation to the rings or base.

On a 20 MOA base you will have about 20 mils of elevation so unless you need more there is no reason to add anymore elevation to the rings or base.
    Since I don't have the experience to know what that gives me...the 20 mils of elevation shooting a 6mm creedmoor using Hornady ELD-M ammo...how much range does that get me out to reasonably ?

Just looked at my data and it should get you around 1600 yards dialing before you have to start using the reticle. You can go with a 40 MOA base and you will have about 26 mils which will get you to around 1800 yards.

Reactions: Anointed1
    Just looked at my data and it should get you around 1600 yards dialing before you have to start using the reticle. You can go with a 40 MOA base and you will have about 26 mils which will get you to around 1800 yards.
    Ok...so when you reference a 40 MOA base...that would be the 20 MOA that's on the scope rail...and using a Spuhr mount that gives an additional 20 MOA as well right ?...or am I confused 😕

Ok...so when you reference a 40 MOA base...that would be the 20 MOA that's on the scope rail...and using a Spuhr mount that gives an additional 20 MOA as well right ?...or am I confused 😕

Yeah 40 moa total whether all in the base or 20 in the base and 20 in the rings/mount.

Yeah 40 moa total whether all in the base or 20 in the base and 20 in the rings/mount.
    Perfect...thanks Rob01...I can't imagine going beyond 1800 yards...that's just over a mile for crying out loud...of course I think it would be cool to ding the metal once or twice at that distance...but I just looked and the 6mm creedmoor goes subsonic before it even gets that far... not sure if that matters much or why...it's just a long way lol.

Most of those short action mags will go subsonic before a mile but you can still make hits. I have with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Even if you just used a 20 moa base you can just hold the rest in the reticle to get to a mile.

Most of those short action mags will go subsonic before a mile but you can still make hits. I have with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Even if you just used a 20 moa base you can just hold the rest in the reticle to get to a mile.
    That was going to be my next question lol...so really...going either way with the rings...ARC or Spuhr...the 20 in the scope rail works even to a mile without additional cant....just have to hold for that mile long shot which is no big deal considering frequency...that's great Info Rob01...thanks man 👍...now I just got to decide which one...ARC or Spuhr lol...everytime I settle on one the other seems to creep back in =/

Glad to help. Yeah if not doing a mile all the time then a 20 moa base and a set of rings will be fine. I run Seekins rings on my Razors and can hit a mile but rarely do it do don’t mind having to hold. Matches go out to about 1300 yards mostly so more than enough to dial with a 20 moa base.

I see a little difference in the Bubble level on the Spuhr...the ARC rings have none...but the MPA has one built in as far as that goes...and there's aftermarket options people like such as the flatline ops Halo-X...I'm thinking it's whichever one works best for not taking your eyes out of the sight picture...but I've not experienced any of this yet. Another consideration I caught in a thread was the set distance on the Spuhr was a little cramped to some between the front ring and the rear one...and possibly obstructing a clear view or the turret /shrug...again no experience to know if any of that really matters/happens or is it mainly nitpicking.

Glad to help. Yeah if not doing a mile all the time then a 20 moa base and a set of rings will be fine. I run Seekins rings on my Razors and can hit a mile but rarely do it do don’t mind having to hold. Matches go out to about 1300 yards mostly so more than enough to dial with a 20 moa base.
    I get it...perfect....yeah I know Seekings is a solid choice by many as well 👍

I wouldn’t want a bubble level on rings anyways. Same for base. I like my level on the scope so I can make sure both are level and it’s easy to see right over the parallax knob. The Vortex LoPro level sits right there. Will look on my computer for a pic.

I wouldn’t want a bubble level on rings anyways. Same for base. I like my level on the scope so I can make sure both are level and it’s easy to see right over the parallax knob. The Vortex LoPro level sits right there. Will look on my computer for a pic.
    Yeah please if you got one.

IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG

Well again...thanks bud...sincerely appreciate your time and knowledge...I'm pretty much locked in now to buying the ARC rings for the flexibility of spacing the rings...and an aftermarket bubble for the flexibility of placing it on the scope tube and achieving good line of sight 👍

Reactions: Rob01
    Check out MK Machining for the level. great stuff and active here.
    Doh...might be a little late this time around...but I'll certainly look...I've got another rifle I want to get modernized and up to speed for some possible hunting...it's my dad 30-06 👍

Check out MK Machining for the level. great stuff and active here.
    Yeah those are nice too...I like the way the fastener head appears to have been positioned where it lines up vertically with the bubble when level...pretty slick...I'm assuming that was intentional...gives the eyes an additional reference for being level that it naturally sees even small variations in...nice !!

Look at the Vortex LoPro on my scope above too. Only $49 and work. Come in 1", 30mm and 34mm tubes.

Yeah those are nice too...well I'd rather have choices than not have any...probably going to have to try different ones out along the way 👍

Reactions: Rob01