• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Correct Length of Pull?

Megahoser

Shogun of the Higher Steppes
Minuteman
Looking for some advice on correct length of pull. I am 6'3" and although my HS Precision stock on my 700 feels okay...I still get the feeling I need to add a bit more length to the butt. I am planning to do this by adding a few spacers. My question is, what is the proper way to measure approximately how much additional length I need?

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Correct Length of Pull?

This is what worked best for me, and I'm the same height.
Place thumb 1" from nose with elbow bent (similar to shooting stance) and measure from shoulder pocket to trigger finger as if it were on a trigger. You should come out to be around 14-3/4" to 15-1/4".

Bend elbow 90* and measure from pad of trigger finger to the crease inside your elbow....

Ok... Who else is sittin' there holdin' their arm in these positions? My wife just walked in and asked me what the hell I was doing. Must look pretty silly!!!

Me! Can I see a photo of what you mean - does trigger finger have to be bent?
I need to find someone to help me measure this!

Thanks for the input guys. My butt to trigger is only 14"...So, any way you cut it for my arm length I should add a couple of inches. My current rig is passable and shoots well enough, but I can definitely feel myself sacrificing some stability from a slightly awkward position in longer shooting sessions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My butt to trigger is only 14"...</div></div>Wow, you must be one funny-looking dude.
laugh.gif

Yeah, I get a lot of stares...
grin.gif

Another question for the experts...

For more than 1 1/2" are spacers the best route, or should I just go with some sort of an adjustable setup?

I hate to break it to you, but most people in your situation end up considering the purchase of a different stock.

How's your cheek weld on that stock with an extra long length of pull?

Wouldn't know as I stated...it is only 14". But, on my current setup it is fine. I have an adjustable comb, and I have padding with a knot for cheek weld repeatability. I know I need the extra length because in longer sessions I find myself taking a lot longer to get in a comfortable position.

I Measured like Bill showed on ShootingUSA and came up with 16.25 inches.

butt pad to trigger is 15.5" on my AICS

Seems very comfortable to me and haven't had any trouble.

I will say this, if your tall and get your gun fitted to you where you can shoot it well, you don't have to worry about others shooting your gun very much cause they are so out of position they don't like it.
Here is what mine looks like, I'm 6'5''

stock.jpg

I just bought a Savage 10fp and a new scope and the first thing I did was put a laminate varmint stock on it.

I knew ahead of time it wasn't going to fit right so I've had to order different rings again and finally got a krydex cheek rest put on it the other day. (I don't so much mind ordering parts I just hate the waiting.)

Anyway, I've tried the measure the finger to the elbow thing and then measure the length of pull on the rifle and it was pretty close but felt way off. I think the stock measures 13.5 or so ( I'm at work now so I can't check) I added a 1 inch slip on limb saver and it feels so much better.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only tall guy out there that has trouble getting a rifle to fit.

I'm going to go with check weld, head position, and hand grip and forget about the measuring part.

Had a guy that I did a restock for a while back. He was about 6'4" and due to his arms being short, and chest narrow he needed a 12" LOP. when the guy puts his hands at his sides he only reaches about 2" below the top of his pockets. The rifle looks goofy as hell but it fits him.

damn, i just measured my LOP and it is right at 15 inches. im 6'4". on the a5 with the spacer system can you reach a 15inch LOP? i just sold my 700 because of cheek height and length of pull issues.

youze guys DO know all bets are off when you got cold weather clothing on....RIGHT ???

DSCN0848.jpg

i am 6'5" and have very long arms. measuring the way that has been advised shows i need over a 16" LOP. i put together three mcmillan stocks with 15 1/2" LOP which is a long as you can go with an uncut stock blank and 1" pad. honestly, i think they feel somewhat awkward. i find what is most comfortable for me on a rifle is 14 1/2". there are a LOT of other factors besided your arm length. how long is your neck? do you shoot with your head upright or canted? how muscular are your shoulders? when you are laying prone behind a rifle, your shoulders muscles will be flexed differently than they are sitting at the computer. these are just a couple of issues i can see with simply measuring from the indide of the elbow to the first pad with the arm bent at 90 degrees.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am 6'5" and have very long arms. measuring the way that has been advised shows i need over a 16" LOP. i put together three mcmillan stocks with 15 1/2" LOP which is a long as you can go with an uncut stock blank and 1" pad. honestly, i think they feel somewhat awkward. i find what is most comfortable for me on a rifle is 14 1/2". there are a LOT of other factors besided your arm length. how long is your neck? do you shoot with your head upright or canted? how muscular are your shoulders? when you are laying prone behind a rifle, your shoulders muscles will be flexed differently than they are sitting at the computer. these are just a couple of issues i can see with simply measuring from the indide of the elbow to the first pad with the arm bent at 90 degrees.

chuck </div></div>

Like I said, I have a 50+ page book on the subject. For my trap gun I traveled all the way to Colorado to have an expert hand fit one for me. That kind of fit isn't really necessary for a rifle with a sight, but an accurate fitting doesn't lend itself to quick formulas written in a paragraph. That's why I like adjustable features.

i am 6-05 and i shoot my gun best at 16.25 inches LOP. but i have a long neck, and very long arms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some advice on correct length of pull. I am 6'3" and although my HS Precision stock on my 700 feels okay...I still get the feeling I need to add a bit more length to the butt. I am planning to do this by adding a few spacers. My question is, what is the proper way to measure approximately how much additional length I need?

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.</div></div>

We are all different shapes/sizes and proportions.

So. short of getting a custom gun hand made for you, the quickest method I know for measuring the correct LOP is to place the butt pad in the crook of your arm and see where the trigger lies. With the correct length, your trigger finger should be exactly in place for the trigger using this method.

I messed with my gun today, took it to the range. Took a 1/2 inch of spacers out. Seems to fit a little better.
Also Adjusted the Cheek piece up. Noticed with my new scope that I was low just a little bit when looking through it.
So I Came up the thickness of one US quarter.
That wasnt enough so I stacked 2 quarters and that seemed to work great.