• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Correct torque on scope rings

nightwolf0215

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Southern California
How important is correct torque on the scope rings? I dont have a torque wrench but i am so anxious to tkae my gun out to try! Any advice on what i can do?

Torque is important, not enough and the scope can shift. Too much and you can bite into the scope tube (worst for standard Leupold and Burris rings). The higher grade rings, (nightforce, Seekins, Leupold MK4, Warne) will have less chance of scope damage. Anyway, you can use a standard hex or spline key and use the small end as drive force. Here is an example

Riflescope Mounting Tutorial - Part 1 - YouTube

BTW, Bass pro, Cabelas and Sportsmans carry the Wheeler fat wrench for approx $40.

Buy a Torque Wrench, or borrow someone's ;)

In a pinch, use the supplied Torx key and use the key vertically, grasping the short 90 degree end with your thumb and index finger. and get it about as tight as u can that way, make sense?

Buy a Torque Wrench, or borrow someone's ;)

In a pinch, use the supplied Torx key and use the key vertically, grasping the short 90 degree end with your thumb and index finger. and get it about as tight as u can that way, make sense?

I typically have used the latter method and just bought a torque wrench just to make sure. I would buy a torque wrench if I were you.

I bought a torque wrench. I haven't damaged any of the scopes I mounted before the torque wrench, but its better to be safe than sorry.