• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Correct velocities?

TrickPony29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2005
CONUS
Hello all,
Just got a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master and was wondering how good these units actually are? I shot some hand loads through it and seemed like the readings might be a little slow. Loads were 308 175 SMK, 45.5 Varget, once fired winchester brass(Black Hills), and CCI benchrest primers. Out of my GAP with bartlein 24" 1-11 I was getting an average of 2686 fps. From what I've seen here most are getting more velocity or does that sound about right? Also if it helps I got an average of 2608 using Black Hills 175.
Thanks in advance,
Drew

Re: Correct velocities?

Both velocities sound about right to me. In any event the numbers are within the 1% accuracy limit of the chrono (26 fps here).

2700+ is a very stiff load for a 175;
2650 is a good safe long range load for the 175s
2625 is what one would expect from BH 175 Match

Re: Correct velocities?

I agree with Mitch. That sounds about right. Looking on the varget bottle itself it has the 46gr load for the 168 projectile at around 2700fps. How far are you seating your bullets into the lands or at mag length? That can also play a role in velocity.