• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Correcting Cheek Weld

Boss334OP

Infectious Agent
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
MN/ND
I am looking at building up my stock to attain a proper cheek weld. I would like some options other than installing a kydex adjustable. I have heard of guys taping down foam or wood but need more details on how to correctly do this before I attempt anything. How do you guys build up for a better cheek weld? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Correcting Cheek Weld

this is my 2 $ method: pipe foam wedge, or stack (about 1.5x 4 inches) lay it on the stock and get down on the rifle to test eye position ( just close at this point)
masking tape around the foam block for over spray, spray glue the mating surfaces of the stock and foam, wait until the glue is no longer wet/tacky and stick it together- hold for a few minutes or tape in place till set, then remove all the tape and retest eye position letting the full weight of your head rest on the built up stock, make fine adjustments by removing material with coarse sandpaper or building up with layers of duct tape. When the height is just a touch low, finish with a sheet of moleskin(drug store foot care section) for a durable and comfortable surface

no hard cheekrest can be as comfortable for extended use

to remove it just pull it off and clean up the glue with bore solvent

if you can afford and desire it, a turnwheel cheekpiece is probably your best option

but tape, cardboard, whatever you can find, works to, if you can shoulder your rifle with your eyes closed, open your eyes and have a solid sight picture that is an ideal cheek peice.

why not just buy a XLR cheek rest $20 + shipping. tho u will have to wait for the SHOT show to be over to order 2-20? i think. but for the money it is prob best option. I will be ordering one when they get back from SHOT.

granted you will have to drill a hole for the adjustment bolt. but if you dont mind drilling a hole than it is deff best option

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is what you are looking for

http://cheekwelder.net/ </div></div>

looks good but likely to slide forward with the recoil of each shot

a catridge holder over a piece of closed cell foam
held in place with a piece of masking tape works for me
you can adjust the foam to desired hieght
before
& after if need be -
easy to take off & reinstall
works better than the adjustable stocks Ive owned
dont move unless I move it
5r037.jpg

Try some marine-tex. Build up to the height, length, and width of your choosing. If you build it up too much then you sand it down. I cut a groove in the top of mine to allow for straight entrance of the cleaning rod through the bore guide. I don't feel the groove on my cheek and this works the same when I shoot left or right handed. It has worked well for me.

Good luck,
John

Sorry I like the kydex, I have made 3 of them. Also have a couple of stock packs, .they work.