• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Corrective Eye Surgery

lvmike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
LV, NV
I'm looking at having it done primarily due to wanting to be able to shoot without corrective lenses. Who here has had it done? Any side effects noticeable when using an optic that most people wouldn't notice? How bad was your vision before, what type of lasik, etc would be great info... thanks

Re: Corrective Eye Surgery

I had prk done in April of 09. The first couple of days afterwards sucked and my eyes were real sensitive for awhile after having it done and still on occasion now. As far as optics go there is nothing that I have noticed with having it. My vision before hand was like 20/100 or so. I know I'm at least 20/20 now I haven't actually had a legitimate eye exam since my eyes have fully healed. I know I'm seeing better than that though. Any questions feel free to pm me

I had it done several years ago and my eyes were bad. -6.50 correction. I have had excellent vision results. I did get chronic dry eye that persisted for about a year and still have some dry eye during allergy seasons. I had minor dry eye before the surgery so it was almost expected. I can't say how much I have enjoyed not being tied to glasses or contacts...even with the dry eye I had. Mine was LASIK and I was 37 when I had it done.

For every happy ending there are two bad ones. There used to be a website called eye-surgery horrors but the site was bought out by the doctors. All I can tell you is that when it goes wrong your blind or have serious problems with your vision. Everyone I talked to who had surgery issues said they just wish they had their glasses back. It wasn't worth having eye problems after the surgery. Big risk and not worth it. People only look at the good side not the bad. DO NOT SIGN the LEGAL the waiver if you go.

Read some of the horror stories before you decide......

http://www.lifeafterlasik.com/patients.htm

The above examples are becoming more rare. Just make sure you go to a top end doctor (not the cut rate joints).

I recently had prk. The 3 or 4 days following the surgery SUCKED ASS. My vision in one eye took a little over 6 months to stabilize, but now is fine.

All in all, it was worth it. If you can do lasik, do it over prk. The recovery is much faster and it is less invasive/painful.

I had lasik about 10 years ago and it was money well spent. At this point, my eyes have changed and to get back to 20-20 or better I need to get an enhancement but just haven't done it yet. My brother also had it done and loved it as well. I know there are a few times it has turned out very bad but those seem to be few and far between these days. I agree, get a good doctor who has a good reputation and has plenty of experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I had Bladeless LASIK done about 5-6 years ago... wish I would have done it earlier... mine has been great... like previous comments, the first couple days suck but after that, its great. Also go to the best most experienced doctor in your area... don't be cheap when it comes to this kind of operation.

Had Custom-Vu, blade-less LASIK in December 2008... my right eye had some issues resulting from an old injury; took a while to heal. Both eyes a bit off- had it done again in March 2009 except we did PRK on the right eye. Fast forward to July 2010, the right eye had slipped a bit so they did LASIK in that eye again.... and again had healing issues.

My advise, if you've had eye trama before, be prepared to have issues with LASIK- PRK seems to be trouble free.

I have dry eye problems, which over time improve but thus far have not gone away.

Taking all of that into consideration would I do it again? Absolutely. Not having to worry about contacts or glasses on mission... waking up in the morning and being able to see... Makes it all worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had Custom-Vu, blade-less LASIK</div></div>I had this done as well about 6 months ago....should have done it decades ago. No issues.

i had lasik done on both eyes about 5 years ago because i was sick of the hassel of contacts, my eyesight was better after the lasik than it used to be with the contacts so i was really pleased with the results, i found some glare around lights at night or reflective objets like roadsigns at night sort of like a halo around the edges of them for about 6 months. i experienced some dry eye on my sniper course due to constantly using optics but it was sorted with eye drops . other than that i was delighted i went for it. as others have said go to a decent place and spend the money , dont cheap out on it , after all what value can you really put on your eyesight , priceless , so its worth splashing out a few more quid when your getting it done

I had the original RK (no laser) back in 1989. Today my left eye is still 20/20, my right has degraded a bit to 20/30. Best thing I ever did. Everyone that I know that has had the more recent lasik has had no problems with it.

Best money I've ever spent was for lasik. My wife and I both had it done in 2008. My vision was about 20/200. I see much better now than I did with contacts or glasses. Your doctor should tell you the odds of successful surgery based on your vision and eye shape.

If you get it, pay the extra money to get the blade-less surgery. It takes a lot of the risk out of the procedure and you don't have to deal with the fact that a razor is going to cut your eye. I'm not sure how many places still use razors. They use a laser to do the work instead of a razor. The odds of proper healing is much better because the flap sits down in the recessed area it came out of. Much like a manhole cover sits down in a recessed area. There is very little risk of the flap sliding around and healing in the wrong spot.

I'm still amazed to this day about how well I can see. Objects far of in the distance are very sharp and focused.

My wife and I both did lasik 10 years ago. The surgery was nothing, recovery fast and easy. I ended up 20-10 in one eye and 20-15 in the other. Both have degraded over time to probably 20-20 or so.

I'd do it again in a second, it's one of the best things I ever did. I have zero issues with any optics.

Might get laser at the end of the year.. been thinking about it alot lately.

I mainly want it done so that when light conditions drop out in the bush/forest I can see a little clearer

Wife in 06 and mine in 08. Agree with the above that it's come a long way since the days then they used blades. Do your research and don't settle for those $299 per eye web site specials. As said above, best money I ever spent.

The only side "issue" for me is offhand rifle shooting. Since my left eye is non-dominant and was cut for more close focusing, using a non-magnified scope (red dot) on targets out past 50 doesn't work and I often have to close my right eye just to see the dot.

Minor but worth mentioning.

I'm a fighter pilot in the Air Force and just had mine done 8 months ago. I had Wave guided PRK, as it was the only option approved by the Air Force for Pilots. My vision prior was 20/30 in my left eye and 20/50 in my right. PRK takes a lot longer to heal then LASIK, but the outcome is the same. It took me four months to stabilize at 20/15 in both eyes. My near vision is unchanged, but eveyone will likely need reading glasses as they get older. I have not noticed any problems looking through optics. You will need a bunch of non-preservative eyedrops and my doc(USAF doc) recommended taking a lot of Vitimin C prior(1000mg per day) and I'm still taking it afterwords. Take all of your medication steriod drops if you are given them and don't quit early since after the surgery you are in control of your healing via good care of yourself. I was also told to wear sunglasses for a year post surgery whenever outside unless its raining in the day to prevent clouding or potential scaring of the cornea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For every happy ending there are two bad ones.

Read some of the horror stories before you decide......

http://www.lifeafterlasik.com/patients.htm
</div></div>

No, actually I think that the % is tilted way in the other direction, esp. with Lasik. Just look at this thread. As for not signing the waiver, That guarantees, that you won't have a problem, they won't cut you.

I had lasik done 8 yrs ago, I was -6.00/-6.25, for those that don't know, that's blind. Not nearly as blind as the poster above who was -12.** (that's beyond blind) When I start talking about how much getting the correction improved my quality of life I sound like a paid advertisement. That said, the 19 pages of how you can end up blind and release from liability form is pretty scary to sign.

Had it done at 42. Eight yrs later I still don't use any corrective lenses, and I don't notice any ill effects on a day to day basis. One thing I was beginning to notice before I had the surgery was that with my contacts in I was having the beginnings of the problems seeing close up, that hits us all at about 40. Today I occasionally need low power reading glasses for very fine print or low contrast stuff in poor light, but that being 50, not vision correction surgery. I was having moisture problems before the surgery, nothing serious, but it was enough that I couldn't wear contacts in outdoor settings, like on a bike (pedal or motor), or in a convertible, or a boat. Today I have some dryness in my right eye, enough to notice if I'm riding my Harley with sunglasses on, or staring at a computer screen, but noting more than noticeable. Because of that I usually wear goggles if I'm on the HD or a full face on one of my sport-bikes. At night, if I think about it I'll notice a slight halo around lights, but I have to think about it, it is very slight.

One of the best decisions I ever made.

Best money ever spent, no matter the cost!!! I'm 20/10 now, both eyes.

Some good suggestions above.

My rec's: Go to someone that has literally done thousands of the LASIK procedures, choose a doctor that uses one of the newest "wavefront" lasers, also, use the moisturizing drops they give you copiously for weeks after the procedure and you will limit the dry eye issues and hasten healing.

FWIW, a couple of OD's with whom I am acquainted opted FOR PRK over LASIK for themselves and advised me to do the same if I ever had corrective surgery.

They said that it was more painful and took longer to heal but that their personal knowledge of the procedures and aftereffects had led them to the PRK conclusion. Obviously, YMMV.

I sure want to do this. Wearing glasses is such a pain in the ass sometimes.

My father had some issues after his surgery but they seem to have gotten a little better over time. This is part of what scares me.

Mike,
I had lasik done a year and a half ago and definitely it is a major lifestyle improvement. I wore contacts/glasses since I was 16, and hated them for most of that time, lol. My eyes were in the ballpark of 20/300 prior to the procedure. Now they are 20/20. My left eye is 20/15, right not as good but close.

I highly recommend Siems Lasik, he has been at the forefront of lasik procedures and technology for a long time, there in Boca Park on Charleston/Rampart.

So worth the $$$

If you are looking for vision correction, go conservative and try Orthokeratology. Look it up. I have been doing this for about 4 months now and have been completely out of contacts for about a month. I stared at -4.25 bilaterally. If this is not for you, then you can always opt for surgery. I personally try to avoid the "knife".

for Info check Vance Thompson from the Midwest.....supposedly he was "one" of the leading pioneers when all of this began, from what I have heard from some Doc friends.

I am not sure what the technical term is - but people that are worried about things get pointed towards a lens insertion, which can be changed as you age.... and is reversible.

.ICL I believe

I will put my .02 in. My father is an opthamologist (eye surgeon). There are 7 of us kids(no we are not mormon, or catholic, my parents just liked to ..... ya know), and 3 of us have had LASIK. My oldest sister, -4.75, and -5.0, my older brother, -4.0 and -4.5. I was a -3.75 in both eyes. He did LASIK on all 3 of us, and was not scared.He has done over 3000 LASIK sugeries, and over 1,000 PRK surgeries. If your cornea is thin, then he would recommend PRK. There are a lot of things that can cause complications for this surgery, and it is not for everyone. If you do decide to have this surgery, go to a physician who is reputable, and make sure THAT THE PHYSICIAN WHO DOES THE SURGERY WILL BE SEEING YOU FOR YOUR POST-OP VISITS. If you will be seeing an optometrist for post-op instead of the surgeon who did the surgery, then RUN!!!!!! I have had it done, and do not regret it. I had Halo issues for about 6 months, but after that it went away. My vision stabilized in less than 2 days, and I now see 20/15 in both eyes. If you have any more questions, PM me your questions, and I will let my old man read em, and give you his response.

I am with most of the posters here. Best money I have ever spent. I have no problems at all from the surgery. Not with or without scopes, daytime or night.

Last edited:

I had lasik in april of this year, and had worn glasses every since I started school. 20/600 going into it in both eyes, 20/10 in my right, 20/12 in my left after coming out. I am an oilfield welder, and not many professions are harder on your eyes than mine, and I was back to work in less than a week, and seeing things with a clarity and depth perception I had never had before, makes a big difference judging yardage, I wonder why in the hell I waited so long to have it done!!!

Had Lasik done in Spring 2002 in Montreal.

Made the decision to go ahead based on the procedure having been around for a few years and 60-minutes had not destroyed it.

It's some of the best money I ever spent. I was one of the lucky ones who went from (almost) coke bottle glasses and contacts to 20/15 vision that I still enjoy.

I do need reading glasses now, which started in about 2004. But the 'fighter pilot vision' from the LASIK is just wonderful. I had no issues with starring, haze, etc.

Thought the first few hours after surgery were uncomfortable, it wasn't bad. The strangest thing is being able to 'smell' your eyeball burning while the laser works... and not feeling anything. But I've had far, far worse inflicted on me... so this was a walk in the park.

Pick a good doctor and go forward with confidence. It's a great, great thing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Redneck has given a good offer............

But, choose wisely, research, and then go for the consultation. The consults should be very similar, concerning their examination and measurements of your eyes. If not, hesitate, and try another highly rec. surgeon. I tend to find more confidence in Surgeons when I hear similar conclusions/concerns. Then I pick who I feel is the best.

By the way - how much is the wave lasik going for these days?

I thought Id ask this since a few of you seem to know about this topic. I currently have +7.00 and +7.50 corrective lenses, but I cant seem to get any anwsers out of any one here in NZ about possible corrective measures, lasik, IPCLs etc. any help is apecciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Id ask this since a few of you seem to know about this topic. I currently have +7.00 and +7.50 corrective lenses, but I cant seem to get any anwsers out of any one here in NZ about possible corrective measures, lasik, IPCLs etc. any help is apecciated</div></div>
I had the procedure done a couple months ago and I was -6.25 & -6.50, I am now 20/15-20/20

did mine at lasik plus. I researched for months on the topic. I looked at everyone.

In the end lasik plus got my business - 1. it's all they do. 2. my doc had gone to john hopkins 3. since it's all they do they can afford the latest technology...the best technology. 4. because it's all they do they had the best price and they gave me a 15% discount cuz I had xyz insurance which helped them do research or something...it pays to check if they will give you any sort of discount.

I did PRK - cuz down the road I didn't want the flap to be a problem if I did up close corrective vision when it comes out in the future. Also did it because that is what my doctor had done to himself. Also did it because it was the least risky.

First 5 days is kinda weird as things heal. After that it gets better and better.

I was like 20-400 with asigmatism sp? I'm 20/15 and good to go.

My only complaint is super up close stuff you lose that. However you can get it back by training the muscles ie doing super up close stuff. I don't do much so I haven't trained my eyes.

what ever you do...don't go cheap. That's the "B" team with old technology.

my total cost was $3235 down from 4k.

I had the Wave front PRK done a few months after getting home from Iraq, spring 2008, prior my vision was like 20/400, my contacts were -7.5 for both eyes. Like others have said, the first few days after the surgery sucks, and it took my eyes about 2 months to stablize but I'm at 20/15 in my right eye and my left has slipped to roughly 20/25, when I went in for my 3 month follow up my eyes were at 20/10. I had really bad dry eyes occassionally for the first 9 months, hasn't been a problem for a long time now. My eyes are still sensitive to light alittle but even that is fading gradually. I made sure to go to the best surgeon in the NE, luckly he was extremely close by, cost me 4,700 all total.

I may go back in a few years and get a touch up to bring my left eye back up to snuff, not a big deal really.

I had mine done 3 yrs ago at Lasik Plus. It greatly improved my quality of life. I had 20/500 and was corrected to 20/15.

The only thing that sucked was the healing process. I had dry eyes and halos at night for several months. The halos probably bothered me more than the dry eyes. I don't have them anymore. Now my night vision is damned good.

These surgery's have come a long way. Wait till you need to have you Catarac's remove, then you will see the light. At the age of 47/48 I had foggy vision in both eyes, seemed like it came on almost over night. The eye opener was walking into the Dr.'s office and being surrounded by my grandparents, guess I was one of his youngest patients.

With new lense's inserted in the eye's it was the best thing I've ever done, my vision is like it was when I was in my teens.

I have been wanting to have this procedure done, just never have enough coin to do it. My dad is 75 and had catarac surgery and they inserted a lense under the cornea. Said it was pretty easy.

Lasik was the best lifestyle choice I have ever made in my life. Night halos (not bad, just noticeable for about 6 months) and the only time I get dry eyes is when I first wake up...a few minutes and natural moisture fixes that but I use a drop in each eye in the morning to speed the process. I flew 2 days after surgery and was back in Afghanistan 10 days after the procedure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Id ask this since a few of you seem to know about this topic. I currently have +7.00 and +7.50 corrective lenses, but I cant seem to get any anwsers out of any one here in NZ about possible corrective measures, lasik, IPCLs etc. any help is apecciated </div></div>

Depends largely on your eye. I had it done and I was 7.50 and 7.75. It's not a PERFECT 20/20 now, but it's very, very close. My contacts (gas permeable) had me between 20/10 and 20/15, but they were becoming more and more of a hassle. Had to carry eye drops everywhere I went because they bothered my eyes so much, constantly red, scratchy eyes. So having to deal with the dry-ness I have now isn't a big deal; still carry eye drops. Anyway, LASIK, PRK or IPCL's could all possibly work for you. You'd need to actually go in and have a consultation.

I had the I-LASIK - it's all lazer, no blades. I had -3.50 in both eyes and now have 20/15 in both eyes. My eyesight is incredible now. Best $ ever spent. My recovery time was really short, too; no pain or discomfort at all, I just couldn't rub my eyes in the morning or whatnot for about a month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Id ask this since a few of you seem to know about this topic. I currently have +7.00 and +7.50 corrective lenses, but I cant seem to get any anwsers out of any one here in NZ about possible corrective measures, lasik, IPCLs etc. any help is apecciated </div></div>

I may be wrong here, but I think that +x.xx corrections are harder or not possible with many of the corrective surgeries. If you look pretty much everyone in this thread was -x.xx. Maybe you can do some interwebz research and see what you find.

I'm an eye surgeon and have had corrective surgery about 10 years ago. Loved it. There was some initial problems with glare and it has regressed a bit. Makes your eyes a bit more sensitive to dryness as well. But overall it's been fantastic. I would recommend going to a well established eye surgeon rather than a Lasik mill. If there is a problem, you want that doctor around to help you. Never go to the cheapest place. It's your eye. You only have one chance to get things right. Go to the best place. btw...I don't do Lasik.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, a couple of OD's with whom I am acquainted opted FOR PRK over LASIK for themselves and advised me to do the same if I ever had corrective surgery.

They said that it was more painful and took longer to heal but that their personal knowledge of the procedures and aftereffects had led them to the PRK conclusion. Obviously, YMMV. </div></div>

I had PRK done almost 10yrs ago at Balboa NMC while I was AD Navy. My vision was 20/40, 20/70. Post op it came out to 20/12, 20/16. It was incredibly painful afterwards but nothing a little Percocet and convalescent leave wouldn't fix. I thought I was a hard guy and didn't need the drugs but eye pain made a little bitch out of me! The post op care was pretty intensive and almost more important than the procedure itself(as said by my eye doc). I had like 6 different eye drops to use and a schedule. The steroids lasted for a month, although I lost them in a car accident right at 2 weeks(long story there). Lasik would have disqualed me from doing what I was at the time. I haven't had any trouble with my eyes and I'm pleased that DOD footed the bill. I still feel like I owe them....

PRK is more "permanent" as your epiphelia(sp, vitreous humor??) is scraped or brushed off and has to heal itself(hence the PAIN). With Lasik they simply cut and fold back a flap, do the procedure and lay the flap back over and it heals. Anyhow, impact can free the flap, then you have a problem....

HereinCS, I was wanting to know your thoughts on lasek. I was told I wasn't a canidate for lasik surgery due to thin corneas, my presription is 9.50 on both eyes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Rthur

I had lasik done in both of my eyes in 1997. I was +8.50 and +8.75 before so they were quite bad! Since the surgery up until today, my vision is great and really like the fact that I don't have to wear contact lenses anymore!!

I'd recommend MY doctor in Torrance, CA. It's not something you want to shop around for a cheap deal! LOL...