• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Corrective lens for scope use

Robo

AI Guy
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2017
Burlington, CT
Wondering if others might be experiencing and/or solved the issue for less than perfect vision. I am basically near-sighted and wear glasses for distance vision with other minor corrections. I've tried wearing regular non-prescription shooting glasses with my optics which give me better clarity of the reticle but more fuzziness of the targets, especially at long distance. I've also tried wearing my prescription glasses that help the target but make the reticle a bit fuzzy. Not quite sure which is better, or if I just need better eyes??? Any suggestions?

Far from a professional opinion but with my aging eyes i have found prescription bi-focals to be the answer. Top section fer shooting' bottom section fer dialing',polycarbonate lens' fer safety.

I just use Decot shooting glasses (built with my long distance prescription) and adjust the ocular (focus) for the reticle.

Both replies seem pretty consistent with what I've been trying to do so far although I haven't yet succumbed to my developing need for bi-focal lens

May want to see if you are a candidate for Lasik. Getting the eyeballs fixed is the best money spent. I had cataract surgery on both eyes with astigmatism correction and it has made my life wonderful. Only 1.5x reading glasses are required for up close. I ran bifocals from the age of 45 on. Using rifle scopes was a bit of a challenge but now everything is in perfect focus.

May want to see if you are a candidate for Lasik. Getting the eyeballs fixed is the best money spent. I had cataract surgery on both eyes with astigmatism correction and it has made my life wonderful. Only 1.5x reading glasses are required for up close. I ran bifocals from the age of 45 on. Using rifle scopes was a bit of a challenge but now everything is in perfect focus.

I'm sure you're right about the surgery being the best long term bet. Just a bit nervous when it comes to getting my eyeballs operated on. Wish I had a spare set!

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions on a good, but not crazy expensive, pair of shooting glasses that can have prescription lens put into them?

Why are you not using the ocular lens' diopter adjustment to clean up the sight picture so that both the target and the reticle are equally clear?

I have the same basic vision problems that you do and I don't compromise on my sight picture at all even though I wear plain prescription glasses with no line bifocals (I'm 51). Knowing how to use the diopter adjustment (and parallax adjustment if your scope has one) are key.

www.decot.com is what I have. They have non-prescription, single prescription, bifocal, trifocal and progressive available.

Thanks. I check those out as well. I currently use my regular polycarbonate rimless prescription glasses but the lens are kind of small and I end up looking over the top of them when I'm prone.

Why are you not using the ocular lens' diopter adjustment to clean up the sight picture so that both the target and the reticle are equally clear?

Maybe the diopter can't sufficiently clear it up. Perhaps a single script set of safety glasses, since progressives are never exactly in the same place when looking through the scope?

Last edited:

Maybe the diopter can't sufficiently clear it up. Perhaps a single script set of safety glasses, since progressives are never exactly in the same place when looking through the scope?

Yep, the diopter adjustment helps but not completely. Think I'll end up doing with a better pair of single prescription shooting glasses.

After almost 40 years as a programmer and close to 70 years old my contact lens doctor said there is nothing more she can do to restore my vision. I must have a eyeball rebuild, both eyes. So, in the Spring I will get new lenses put in my eyes. The thought of someone playing with my eyesight scares the @#$&* out of me.
Maxwell

After almost 40 years as a programmer and close to 70 years old my contact lens doctor said there is nothing more she can do to restore my vision. I must have a eyeball rebuild, both eyes. So, in the Spring I will get new lenses put in my eyes. The thought of someone playing with my eyesight scares the @#$&* out of me.
Maxwell

I know the feeling and that's why I'll stick with whatever corrective lens I can for the time being. Good luck with your surgery!

With your prescription glasses and adjusting your scope correctly you should not be having this problem.I was in the optical business for 30 years and the only people that had these problems were people that were getting older and still trying to shoot open sights.I have narrow glasses also and when I try to shoot with them I have the same problem as you. You are looking out of the top part of your lens.
When you have a pair of glasses made there is something called a optical center.This is ground into your lens and then fit into your frame to match your pupils up and down and in and out. This is where you see the best out of your glasses. When you start looking out the side of your lens or out of the top or bottom of your lens your vision gets distorted even though you have prescription glasses.
Just to guess I would think this is your problem. I have glasses for everyday use and glasses for shooting with the same prescription just made a little different.If your glasses are made correctly,adjusted correctly and your scope is adjusted correctly you should not have any clarity problems with shooting.

Maxwell

Don't worry, I was the same way but the good Opthamologists know what they are doing. If you can opt for the cornea laser cutting proceedure it's worth the extra money. They will blast out any cataract, put in the lenses and you will be good to go after about 2 weeks to 4 weeks healing. They will want to do the eyes about 4 weeks apart usually.

With your prescription glasses and adjusting your scope correctly you should not be having this problem.I was in the optical business for 30 years and the only people that had these problems were people that were getting older and still trying to shoot open sights.I have narrow glasses also and when I try to shoot with them I have the same problem as you. You are looking out of the top part of your lens.
When you have a pair of glasses made there is something called a optical center.This is ground into your lens and then fit into your frame to match your pupils up and down and in and out. This is where you see the best out of your glasses. When you start looking out the side of your lens or out of the top or bottom of your lens your vision gets distorted even though you have prescription glasses.
Just to guess I would think this is your problem. I have glasses for everyday use and glasses for shooting with the same prescription just made a little different.If your glasses are made correctly,adjusted correctly and your scope is adjusted correctly you should not have any clarity problems with shooting.

+1

When I used to compete in highpower rifle scopes were not allowed. I had a set of Decots made with my normal prescription plus some extra compensation to help focus on the front sight, and with the optical center moved to accomodate my head position on the rifle.

That's also a good suggestion. And it tracks with what a shooting buddy (who is also an optometrist) told me.

Good advice. I'll have to talk to my optometrist about getting a pair made specifically for my shooting needs since it makes sense that the centering of the lens would be different for shooting vs. everyday use. Thx.

I use progressive lenses and that's why I always need have a cheekriser on my stocks to raise my head in order to see thru the optical center.

Fortunately, I just use single distance correction lens right now so it might be a bit simpler with just a more appropriately sized lens. Only one way to find out...

The other thing; You said you were looking over your glasses while proned out. Not much for eye protection that way.

I know. that's why I want to get a better solution going. I'm surprised how many guys I see shooting without any eyewear at all. An accident waiting to happen.

Fortunately, I just use single distance correction lens right now so it might be a bit simpler with just a more appropriately sized lens. Only one way to find out...

The Decot glasses sit higher so they should help with your prone sight picture.

Good advice. I'll have to talk to my optometrist about getting a pair made specifically for my shooting needs since it makes sense that the centering of the lens would be different for shooting vs. everyday use. Thx.

I had my optometrist write down the info needed for the prescription glasses from the decot website and then I ordered the glasses later.