• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost effective/Complimentary Caliber?

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
So I've got a 6mm Creedmoor and I'm looking to build another rifle with the same action/stock to compliment it. I'm looking for complimentary caliber, something that is easy to load for and affordable to shoot. I want a good balance of barrel cost (life) and reloading component cost. Not going to hurt or compete with this rifle I am considering:

223AI
+Cheap to reload
+Excellent barrel life
+308 or better ballistics
-Poor downrange signature (spotting your shot)

+Excellent barrel life
+Good downrange signature
-The high bc bullets aren't cheap
-Average ballistics

Also considering 6.5x47 (barrel life is a minus) and 6x45. I need more info on the latter but 223AI seems to be better ballistically while 6x45 will be easier to spot shots. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Skunkworx
What’s the purpose of the second rifle?

I don’t know what components the current rifle is made from, but building a second rifle that would essentially do what you already have doesn’t seem like a wise use of funds. How many 6cm barrels can you spin up to equal the cost of a new rifle? What I’m getting at it just shoot the 6cm. Building a new rifle to shoot cheap ammo under the guise of saving money doesn’t work.

I don't want to say strictly a trainer but something along those lines. Fun to shoot, cheap to feed (I'm fine with no factory ammo), don't have to worry about barrel life or chasing the lands.

Fun to shoot? Go for the 223. It will also be the cheapest to feed.

But along with what subes said, a new rifle can equal lots of ammo and barrels. But if you want a new rifle I dont think anyone here will tell you not to get one. Just dont get one for the purpose of saving money on ammo. Six of one, half dozen of the other, its still funds expended.

I definitely get the cost analysis. The new rifle costs more, period. It's more a peace of mind and convienance thing I guess, which is silly. Not worrying about a new barrel every year, having to work up a new load, fire form brass, ECT. Plus I want a rifle, haha.

Reactions: spife7980
Maybe a 6 Grendel or 6 BR. Hornady 105gr bullets for 19c a piece. Good barrel life and a little more miss/hit signature than 223.

If you don’t already have one in your collection I’d say 308. Not as cheap as a 223 but it’s more versatile, abundant components really easy to reload and factory ammo virtually everywhere you go.

Plus it will make you a better shooter at long range with wind calls, etc for when you go back to something with better ballistics.

If you don’t already have one in your collection I’d say 308. Not as cheap as a 223 but it’s more versatile, abundant components really easy to reload and factory ammo virtually everywhere you go.

Plus it will make you a better shooter at long range with wind calls, etc for when you go back to something with better ballistics.
I do have 2 308s, they are both for sale. That has nothing to do with the caliber though. And I'm far from good at calling the wind with it, still have plenty to learn.

Nothing cheaper than a 223. Not many more accurate inside 3-400 yards as well

I'm going 223AI because I want to see if the hype lines up with the snipe.

I also have two 308's too, ones a heirloom, the other a match iron sighter, I'll leave it at that.

I would have built a 224V but it looks like the brass doesn't stand up to pressure well at this point, like I had hoped it would, maybe Lapua will make strong brass for it some day.

I'll be happy with 80's at 3000 fps in a 26", that's what I hope for anyway, and I have 223 Lapua match brass already. It's mostly the low recoil and component costs that are driving my decision.

I love my 223 ai, I've shot more rounds through it than any other rifle since I got it.

Reactions: Dogsniper
Sounds like a good time to give the Valkyrie a whirl.

I’m not real keen on these new whiz-bang-type rounds but the Valkyrie seems like it would be a lot of fun to shoot. You can also get factory ammo if you’re feeling lazy.

I’m gonna get a barrel spun up in it. Figured I’d try it out.

Sorry to hijack, but anyone having feeding issues out of a rem 700 with 223ai and aics style mags? Probably gonna go with mdt mags.
Thanks

So I've got a 6mm Creedmoor and I'm looking to build another rifle with the same action/stock to compliment it. I'm looking for complimentary caliber, something that is easy to load for and affordable to shoot. I want a good balance of barrel cost (life) and reloading component cost. Not going to hurt or compete with this rifle I am considering:

223AI
+Cheap to reload
+Excellent barrel life
+308 or better ballistics
-Poor downrange signature (spotting your shot)

+Excellent barrel life
+Good downrange signature
-The high bc bullets aren't cheap
-Average ballistics

Also considering 6.5x47 (barrel life is a minus) and 6x45. I need more info on the latter but 223AI seems to be better ballistically while 6x45 will be easier to spot shots. What are your thoughts?
m

I’d look at 223 first for cheapness. 308 next for versitality, power, and it’s easy to reload. After those two look at the 6.5 Grendel and 7mm-08

Figure apples to apples.

Hornady ELD bullets and powder at $25/lb. (primers are a wash).
223= .18 + .09 = .54 for first round and .27 per reload.
308= .28 + .15 = .83 for first round and .43 per reload.

So it's a little more upfront. However it's only .15 difference after. Or an extra $75 per 500rds.

I built a "trainer" (custom action, ai chassis, bartlein, jewell and NF) and found that I'd rather train with my 308 for a couple extra $$$ per range trip. At the $$$ I had invested in my 223 there was no way I would recoup it on ammo cost alone. I would have had to shoot around 30,000 rounds to break even. That's without factoring in rebarreling the 223 a couple of times. So the true number might be closer to 40,000 before breaking even.

So unless there was another reason to get a 223 I'd say buy ammo.

Reactions: lawofsavage
223ai is a very nice option
223 match ammo shoots great, then load up the
FF brass for a substantial ballistic improvement.
My 23” Barrel pushes 80s at 3080 with ease

Why would you use a 308 as trainer for a 6 CM? Kind of odd. More recoil, no savings on ammo, etc.

If you're looking to save money, stick with 1 gun. Another gun means another scope, rings, base, load development, brass, powder, bullets, etc. It's not like your main rifle is a 50 BMG. 6CM ammo isn't expensive, so buying another rifle to save money is going to be a loser's game. Now if you just want another gun, I'd think hard about the 7-08. 223 really isn't very easy to see downrange and it's not particularly easy to load for at extreme distances. If you're only shooting to 600, it's a great option. If you're going farther, I'd go with the 7-08.