• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost of .338 Lapua vs. .308 Win reloading

notme

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
TX
Search not working for some reason.
What is the average cost of reloading .338 Lapua vs. .308 Winchester?
Thanks

Re: Cost of .338 Lapua vs. .308 Win reloading

Notme, looked at this before, on average $1.50 to $2, obviously thats looking at getting about 15 reloads on the brass. For a 308, well about .40 to 75 cents depending on your components, it can be cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notme, looked at this before, on average $1.50 to $2, obviously thats looking at getting about 15 reloads on the brass. For a 308, well about .40 to 75 cents depending on your components, it can be cheaper.
</div></div>
He's right on. Keep in mind that this is considering firing brass 5+ times

I have found that I get several more reloads on both cartridges when I am religous on annealing. Which will go a long way on brass. .308 brass is easy to come by around here .338 Lapua not so much...

500 pieces of lapua brass. .308 = 460 to 480 shipped.
500 pieces .338 lapua brass= 1500$$ roughly shipped.
Powder get twice the loads in one can of powder in .308 maybe more.

I had the .338 lapua in a 700 pss. Shit, I would buy 3 or 4 cans of retumbo and 300 scenars and shoot and magically it would all be gone real quick.

Do not get me wrong the .338 lapua is truely an AWSOME round but it was not applicable for my needs and especially my wallet.

I have 2 .300 win mags and a GAP Crusader in .308. I sold my .338, brass, dies, bullets ect... In order to buy more components for those rifles and to stick to what I needed to suit my shooting needs. I live in Mississippi and the biggest thing I kill will be a 250 # deer or a 300# hog. A 208 amax or a 210 vld out of my .300 win mag police or 5 r will do that easily.

But like I said I really liked mine, hated to sell it, but it was too expensive for me any ways

With Lapua brand .338 brass; how many times can you realistically and safely plan to use the brass before it is no longer safe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With Lapua brand .338 brass; how many times can you realistically and safely plan to use the brass before it is no longer safe?</div></div>

Until primer pockets are loose or the necks start cracking. If you will treat the brass with a little TLC you can shoot it 15 times. Maybe more. Anneal, and don't hot dog the powder charges. Velocity ain't everything

What press are you using for reloading the .338 LM? I have a Forster Co-Ax presently and just getting into reloading. Not sure if it's going to work ....

You can load 338lm on the Co-Ax but its gonna be tough, there simply is barely enough room to get the shells in/out, I seem recall somebody saying they had to lift the case up off the jaws and slide the case out with the die.

Sounds like a PITA. What press are you using? Are you pleased with your setup?

I use a Redding UltraMag. Plenty of room, and you always need a standard type press for pulling bullets (eraser).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can load 338lm on the Co-Ax but its gonna be tough, there simply is barely enough room to get the shells in/out, I seem recall somebody saying they had to lift the case up off the jaws and slide the case out with the die. </div></div>

not at all - you do have to slip the point of the bullet into a redding die for clearance to set it on the brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks </div></div>

buying once fired brass I can load a 300gr SMK for .95 - I add .35 for barrel wear

to load a 175 SMK in .308 is about .45 - add .08 for barrel wear

the false economy IMO is 300 win mag - folks think it is considerably cheaper to shoot than .338 - factory ammo is cheaper, but for reloaders the cost difference is slight

with poor brass life and similar barrel wear the 300 WM with a 190 SMK is about .80 - add .35 for barrel wear, so only about .15 less than 338 LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What press are you using for reloading the .338 LM? I have a Forster Co-Ax presently and just getting into reloading. Not sure if it's going to work .... </div></div>

338 LM for starting to reload is a bad idea for many reasons that have been covered in detail multiple times

do yourself a favor and start with something like .223

George63,
I do appreciate the caution. I am starting with .308 to develop some experience and "feel". I have minimal experience assisting a friend years ago however, that was with more forgiving .45 ACP and .38

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks </div></div>

buying once fired brass I can load a 300gr SMK for .95 - I add .35 for barrel wear

to load a 175 SMK in .308 is about .45 - add .08 for barrel wear

the false economy IMO is 300 win mag - folks think it is considerably cheaper
to shoot than .338 - factory ammo is cheaper, but for reloaders the cost
difference is slight

Although the .300 win mag is a little bit higher than I'd like to pay, I don't think it comes close to the $$$ amount of the .338 lapua in terms of powder, BRASS, ect. 208 amax= 33$ for 100. 300 grain scenar 86$ if I remember correct. That's almost 3 boxes of .30 cal compared to 1 .338. Only thing I hate is lack of quality brass for the win mag. I just buy Rp brass and prep (which sucks). The bullets mentioned above, now that I think about it, aren't really a fair comparison. If I remember correct hornady had some good prices. But in the overall scheme of things one loaded 210 vld with 72.7 r22 Rp brass= about $1.50 plus or minus 10cents

with poor brass life and similar barrel wear the 300 WM with a 190 SMK is about .80 - add .35 for barrel wear, so only about .15 less than 338 LM</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the average cost of reloading .338 Lapua vs. .308 Winchester?</div></div>

2X the powder
2X the bullet weight
1X the primer cost
3X the case costs

So, if you use lighter loadings and get 30+ reload cycles from the brass (unlikely) you will achieve an approimate cost of 2X (since the 2X powder cost and 2X bullet cost swamp the same primer costs). If you get 5 reload cycles in 338LM and 25 in Win 308, figure a little more than 3X in overall costs (as case cost temds to dominate the overall cost structure.)