• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost of Blueprinting?

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
What would be the cost of blueprinting a remington 700 police? Also I would like to get mine trued also. What would that cost too?

Re: Cost of Blueprinting?

It depends on what exactly your wanting done. If the action is properly blue printed then it will not have to be "trued" but just because sombody say their action was trued doen't meen that it was blueprinted.

Generaly $150-$250 is what it cost to have a rem 700 Blueprinted , that should include the action being indicated to within .0003" maximum runout indicated off of the bolt race way ,once the action is dialed in then the reciever face is cut square ,the bolt lug embunkments are cut square and most of the time the threads are recut to .010" oversize to make them strait with everything else.
The bolt in then setup and dialed in to the same tolerance as the reciever and it is cut to make it 100% square to the bolt body..

with the time and tooling involved in properly "blueprinting" a reciever $200 is a deal

It can be taken a step further and the bolt race way can be reamed out over sizeed then the bolt is shimmed and turned to match the race way , this makes for a tighter lockup with minimal play. In my oppinion unless your planning to be cometitive in BR matches or something this is wasted money as the factory fit will allow the gun to outshoot you 99% of the time.

If you don't already have a Rem action I highly suggest that you look at buying a custom Rem 700 clone , sove yourself and the smith some headaches

Adding to what JJ said---Putting a factory barrel on a modified action is akin to pissing in the wind. To get the most out of the action work you really need to thread on a new barrel (or at least set back and recut the chamber in the factory barrel).

Another thing to add, that probably isn't an issue here is from what I understand usually if it's not a factory bull barrel there is not enough barrel to cut the factory barrel back and re-thread it for the blueprinted action. So for a sporter/hunting rifle setup the option to have the factory barrel set back and re-threaded/chambered is usually not an option.

The other suggestion about if you haven't bought the gun/action yet is a good one. It usually comes out to about the same money to buy a custom action that's already trued and blueprinted as it is to have a smith work over a factory action. If you already have the action of course the work alone is cheaper.

Lawton Actions has a sale going on for Hide Members....Contact NOTAGURU here on the hide and touch base with him see what he has in stock at Lawton and what price.

Can someone tell what the difference between truing and blueprinting is please?? I am curious to see what you have to say!

"Truing" or "Blueprinting" a receiver are just coined buzz words used to define the single point cuts made to a receiver. Either of the two words is typically used to describe the machining cuts that are made to make the machined surfaces of a receiver true, square, parallel, concentric and or perpendicular to a predetermined standard reference location (typically the bolt raceway)

OH SO THAT'S What truing means...I thought my factory remington was truely cut with a band saw making it trued...

+1 on getting a custom action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell what the difference between truing and blueprinting is please?? I am curious to see what you have to say! </div></div>

Blueprinting would be if you restored it to factory prints. When we get a machine blueprinted they just simply take all the specs back to what they should be coming from the factory. Its still a coined term just as WM describes when it comes to actions you wont be able to actually blueprint most of the time without changing sometime beyond what it was suppose to be.

Okay thanks. I will be shooting in competitions, but nothing in the BR area. I will save this money then and use it elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor. When you have the receiver re-barreled, true the receiver, they're never straight.

Truing isnt just lapping the lugs and cutting the receiver face. There are some that will say "Thats all thats needed" stay away from those smiths.

I agree with wnroscoe. If your going to the expense of it all have it all done. If you already have a rem 700 action then it isn't cheaper to buy a custom, unless you can get all your money back out of what you have already invested. If your rem 700 is bought and payed for and your not going to shoot any serious BR comps then have a good smith true up your action. Its always nice knowing that it isn't the guns fault!! Well maybe not always!!! LOL!! Have it done though, the hole process is very rewarding!! I deal with one of the best smiths on the hide, if you need his number let me know!! I also here Wnroscoe does good work. Lee