• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors costly confussion

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
Early last fall I ordered 2 AAC 30 cal cans. Local dealer showed me what it would be as he had one of his own there. It was a QD 18 tooth. He said I could get QD brakes from AAC, so I did. The cans came in and we filled out the paper work with getting it in the mail 12-20-11. My checks were cashed 12-28-11, so all is good.

I have a rifle with Mike @ Blackops and called to tell him to install an 18 tooth QD brake. He did this and emailed me 2-25-12 to tell me rifle is finished and will ship this week.

I have another rifle with Marc @ Spartan Rifles getting re-barreled. I sent him a 18 tooth brake to install. He has the rifle nearly finished, having test fired it and now just finishing up.

Yesterday I was at my dealer to pick up a rifle for my nephew when the guy tells me that my cans are 51 tooth! I want to be upset, but after reading about the 18 tooth, I’m almost happy.
Cost aside, how big of a problem is this? I don’t want to have to ship rifles back to fix this if I can get out of it.

Re: costly confussion

You did good. Send a 51 tooth brake to Spartan for them to time for you, and then just replace the one on the blackops rifle yourself. Just takes some time to find the right combo of shims to get your brake clocked appropriately. And smack your dealer. Or hug him.
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I will have some 18 tooth paper wieghts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icallem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I will have some 18 tooth paper wieghts. </div></div>

You can list them on the equipment exchange on here, AR15.com, and silencertalk and they will sell pretty fast. You may lose a few bucks on them but it wont be disastrous.

Have you shot them? If not then you could get $135-$140 for them pretty easily I'd bet.

Yeah, definitely sell them. Folks who have the 18 tooth cans will want those mounts.

Snipers Hide, thank you.

I had not called Mike as I know he is busy and I have wasted enough of his time, but this morning I had a PM from him telling me he had refinished my rifle and it was still there. He would take care of this if I wanted.

Can you say “Standup guy”?

Thanks Mike.