• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Cough/Sneeze Suppression

ECH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
East Bay Area, CA
I am wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks to suppress an imminent cough or sneeze. Say you were on a stalk or somewhere you had to maintain absolute silence and you felt a cough or sneeze coming on, what would you to to prevent you from making noise.

The reason I am asking is I have a 4 month old daughter and it seems every time I try to put her down for bed she is almost asleep on my chest and then I sneeze or cough- waking her up and starting the cycle all over again. Regardless of what I have tried, nothing works.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Re: Cough/Sneeze Suppression

brady....for both of you. she'll sleep like a baby and you wont mind if you have to lay there for a bit longer

found out the hard way last year deer season that i could effectively render myself unconcious by simply refusing to cough. apparently i can trigger a vasovagal response with the pressure of trying to hold it back and i pass out for a few seconds. my boy witnessed me shake a few times, go limp fall over to one side then awaken 20- 30 seconds later...all without having ever coughed. probably not the best idea on a stalk in enemy territory tho? funny thing is i awoke feeling more rested than i have felt in years.

years ago one of my hunters showed up at camp with a small rubber tube, looked like a deer call, but was a cough suppresor. It actually worked. You cough into it and could not hear a sound. Dont have a clue who makes/made it, but maybe check around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">years ago one of my hunters showed up at camp with a small rubber tube, looked like a deer call, but was a cough suppresor. It actually worked. You cough into it and could not hear a sound. Dont have a clue who makes/made it, but maybe check around. </div></div>

I bought my wife one of those a couple of years ago as a gag gift. She is a court clerk and started to cough in court and could not stop. They ended up stoping and taking a recess for her. She was very embaressed. I bought it in the hunting section at walmart.
It looks like this one.
cough_killer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benadryl.............for your daughter, not you. She'll sleep like a baby.</div></div>

For a 4 month old? Remind me to never let you babysit my kids.

I'll add child care to my list of advice how to's to never to get from the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benadryl.............for your daughter, not you. She'll sleep like a baby.</div></div>

For a 4 month old? Remind me to never let you babysit my kids.

I'll add child care to my list of advice how to's to never to get from the internet. </div></div>

lol beat me to it , drugs are good for infants right ?

Benedryl, when used appropriately, shouldn't hurt an infant.

Not really a sound method for getting a kid to sleep though. That would fall under abuse, and isn't recommended, even for adults.

My daughter is 2 now. I recommend just coughing (or sneezing, etc.) and sucking it up if she wakes up. That's what I did, and she eventually just got used do it and slept through it, or went right back to sleep immediately.

If you are too careful they will become very light sleepers and you will never be able to do anything after they go to sleep.

NyQuil Sniper Formula.

"For the snipery, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, so you can put a sneek on your 4 month old daughter without needing to use drugs on her, medicine."

Benedryl, when used inappropriately, causes you to trip your balls off. I accidently took twice what I should have taken once, wow it was pretty crazy, maybe thats why I failed the EIB test.

LOL, just kidding, I actually had missed shooting expert by 2 points, qualed in a turentual downpour. So I didn't get to do the rest of the course. But it was interesting wandering through the woods of Ft. Drum at night hoped up to my eyes on Benedryl.

Damn, ya'll are rough. The benadryl comment was sarcastic. I guess it doesn't show up well on the internet. I guess next time I need to put a winking smiley face or end it with lol.

Eddie

Sarcastic comment? huh, I just thought you were a horrible person!
grin.gif

Do you ever try getting you kid to fall asleep with the the TV on?

Thats what I used to do and that way the child gets used to hearing things and not minding them. In fact I know a guy whose daughter(2 years old) wakes up SCREAMING for her life if she hears the slightest sound in or around her room. In all fairness thought she is terrified of sudden loud noises, even a cell phone sometimes sets her off asleep or awake. Is it the result of trying to keep too quite around the kid, not sure but could be a possibility

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bighouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">years ago one of my hunters showed up at camp with a small rubber tube, looked like a deer call, but was a cough suppresor. It actually worked. You cough into it and could not hear a sound. Dont have a clue who makes/made it, but maybe check around. </div></div>

I bought my wife one of those a couple of years ago as a gag gift. She is a court clerk and started to cough in court and could not stop. They ended up stoping and taking a recess for her. She was very embaressed. I bought it in the hunting section at walmart.
It looks like this one.
cough_killer.jpg
</div></div>

+1 I bought one during a bad cold (of course during deer season), and surprisingly it worked.

-Z

When I am about to cough, I just block my breath in for a second, then slowly breathe out, a bit at a time. Hard to tell you how to do it, but it works for me. Sneeze is preventable if you can feel it coming on, but I will have to wait until I feel one coming on before I can remember how to prevent it. (I hardly ever sneeze, and I've forgotten what I do to prevent one!)When a sneeze sneaks up on ya, forget it.

Say you were on a stalk...or getting bean dip out of the fridge and everyone was asleep at home...and then 4 men came out of nowhere and tried to put holes in you and cave in your windpipe...or you saw that the bean dip had already been eaten...and you realized that you had your sidearm and a good blade...or you see chips on top of the fridge....

I just held it for over 10 minutes and when I finally let it loose some kind of green phlegm adhered itself to my life-sized poster of Walker, Texas Ranger that I keep on the wall to watch over me when I am on the internet.

The only way I've ever been able to stop a sneeze is to push my tounge up against the roof of my mouth as hard as I can as long as I can until the sneeze gives up. To supress a cough, who knows, something I havent figured out yet.

If it was a life or death situation you would have no problem stifling it.

If it's not, then who cares. Let it out. You can cough/sneeze in a muffled manner without making a ruckus.

Now farts are a different matter. Holding those in can be hazardous. Just don't shart!

4 month old? Have a towel on your shoulder?

"CDC is recommending sneezing and coughing into your elbow instead of your hand. Just put your right hand on your left shoulder and sneeze or cough into the bend of your elbow. This will spread less germs."

No idea what do left-handed people are supposed to do?

John

wink.gif

Your problem is not your coughing or sneezing it's that fact that the child can not go to sleep normally in her cot.
If the child is perfectly healthy then you may need to just put her in the cot and put up with some crying a few nights until she settles down . If you persist with having the child in your bed each night she will still be there when shes 5 years old.
It's different if they are sick but if they are fine then they have to learn to go into their own bed.
I once had a work mate that had a huge infant boy about 5 .

The kid would sleep during the day waiting till dad came home from work. Then he stayed up most of the night refusing to go to his room and throwing tantrams.
This was taking a toll on their marriage and my mate was about to have a break down due to lack of sleep.

I eventually convinced him to have the child totally checked out by Doctors then we removed every dangerous thing from his room and boarded up the lower part of the window leaving the top for ventilation. Then come bed time we just put him in his room and locked the door. Well he screamed , ranted and threw himself against the walls but after about 6 hours in the end he past out and went to sleep on the floor . From that day on he got less and less of a problem at going to bed but I had to tell his wife to wake up to herself and don't let the kid sleep during the day . The wife was the real problem as she was getting some sleep during the day with the kid ! The father was at his witts end and ready to leave.
I can hear all the child psychologists nashing their teeth and screaming brutality but they had there go and achieved nothing.
I fixed the problem with a bit of back woods know how in one week . No different to training a good hunting dog.
This could be ahead of you if you don't be careful.
Not trying to scare you but a child that gets into bad sleeping habits can put a huge strain on you.
The fact that you are asking this is a sign that the strain is starting .
The child was not traumatised in any way he was a spoilt little mongrel that needed to be brought back into line.
The whole family relationship improved dramaticly once the proper sleep pattern was established and the parents new what they were doing wrong.
Don't let it get out of hand like my friend did.

knew a guy that tried to commit suicide by taking over 2grams, yes grams, of benadryl....Dude was tripping for hours at the ER.

To supress a sneeze,simple pushing on your nose like a button will stop the urge everytime. Don't have any tricks for coughs though.