• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Could Someone Talk Me Through Spotting Trace with a Riflescope?

Changed

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2012
    I've heard different things from different sources. How can I spot trace trough the riflescope?

What I know so far:

1. Dial Magnification Back to 15-18 power
    2. At the moment you break the shot allow your eye to focus on the top half of your optic.

What am I missing?

I catch trace very easily with my spotting scope.

Yeah, don't do that. Stay on the reticle and follow through. Use magnification as required for the conditions. If the recoil and muzzle blast don't obscure the trace anyway, your failure to adhere to basic marksmanship will be a bigger problem than searching for trace in the riflescope. You can catch splash right around the target, but I would not make an effort to get trace, that's the spotters job.

It’s not really practical. Not only does it go against the fundamentals of follow-through as mentioned above, to really see trace requires the scope focus set 50-100 yards short of the target. That will affect your parallax adjustment.

Also, conditions have to be right for trace. It is like mirage in that it isn't always present. I honestly don't know what those conditions are, but sometimes there is huge trace that's easy to read, and other times, on the same range with the same rifle, it is totally invisible. It isn't something that always happens. I'm sure it has to do with temperature, humidity, and pressure.

OP. are you competing in PRS style shooting? is that why you are asking?

in that case - the comment about relying on your spotter is useless advice. If not competing - then it's okay advice if you have a buddy with you.

tons of us make an effort to watch our own trace through the scope when competing. It's definitely challenging, esp when not in the prone.

The good shooters almost all can see their trace (on trace worthy days) on a majority of their shots. It really helps you adjust your wind call on the fly.

it's easier in the prone - so I'd start there. you basically have the gist of it. It just takes practice on where to look for. once you start finding it - correlate where in the scope you are catching it vs. what elevation you are dialing - take note.

being able to see trace is one of the skills I believe separates the top shooters from the rest of the pack. you can't always see your "splash" or miss. (wet ground, target on a hill and the the bullet is splashing 150y behind the target, trees/brush behind target, etc) so being able to see trace yourself can tell you a lot of information on where your bullet just went.

recoil management, keeping your face on the gun, and minimal movement of the rifle after the shot breaks is key. I'm not sure what rifle you are shooting, but unless it's a comp rifle that is light recoiling and/or heavy you might be fighting an uphill battle trying to find your trace in the scope.

Yes, I am specifically referencing scenarios as described below.

Thank You.
    OP. are you competing in PRS style shooting? is that why you are asking?

in that case - the comment about relying on your spotter is useless advice. If not competing - then it's okay advice if you have a buddy with you.

tons of us make an effort to watch our own trace through the scope when competing. It's definitely challenging, esp when not in the prone.

The good shooters almost all can see their trace (on trace worthy days) on a majority of their shots. It really helps you adjust your wind call on the fly.

it's easier in the prone - so I'd start there. you basically have the gist of it. It just takes practice on where to look for. once you start finding it - correlate where in the scope you are catching it vs. what elevation you are dialing - take note.

being able to see trace is one of the skills I believe separates the top shooters from the rest of the pack. you can't always see your "splash" or miss. (wet ground, target on a hill and the the bullet is splashing 150y behind the target, trees/brush behind target, etc) so being able to see trace yourself can tell you a lot of information on where your bullet just went.

I'd personally even go as far to say back down to 12x or even 10x mag. until you get the hang of it.

and make sure it's a "trace worthy" day. don't waste your time trying to do this on a day you can't even spot trace through your spotter. but that goes without saying

I've heard different things from different sources. How can I spot trace trough the riflescope?

What I know so far:

1. Dial Magnification Back to 15-18 power
    2. At the moment you break the shot allow your eye to focus on the top half of your optic.

What am I missing?

I catch trace very easily with my spotting scope.
    Do you have good scope glass? If your spotter has good glass and your scope does not it could explain why you can see it in the spotter only. I had cheaper scopes and the mirage was all washed out and the trace was non-existent. I bought a quality scope and everything became clear

Reactions: deersniper
    Do you have good scope glass? If your spotter has good glass and your scope does not it could explain why you can see it in the spotter only. I had cheaper scopes and the mirage was all washed out and the trace was non-existent. I bought a quality scope and everything became clear
    I'm running a vortex razor gen II and a vortex razor genII 85mm spotter.