• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Could Sure use Some Advice

want to be

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
I have been thinking for a while about a different scope for my RPR 223, I now have a SWFA 20X, and all in all it works for me, just shooting paper out to 450 yds. I hope that I would be more pleased with a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 but I am on a budget now and have also thought on the PST gen 2, 5-25x50 that I could fund now. At this time I am just looking at the Vortex brand for I have only read good things about their customer service. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a higher quality scope for the use that I have stated? Hope all will feel free to offer some advice. Thanks for the help in advance.

Reactions: Rabbitseason
I wouldnt hesitate to pick up a used razor gen2 in the px in a second if I was on a budget... They are the toyota tacoma of the scope world

Reactions: Rabbitseason
I have both those vortex scopes. Is the razor better than pst? yes. is the pst a bad scope ? No. The pst was my first purchase when starting to shoot long range i sometimes wish I would have got the razor first but the pst has served me well.

Why are you thinking about a scope change? Is the SWFA not performing in some way? For 450 yard paper punching and being on a budget not seeing a reason to spend that kinda money. But I'm a poors so what do I know?

That is why I am asking for some advice. I have three SWFA's. But not having a better quality scope I don't know if I am missing something. I do enjoy my range time so I guess it just down the rabbit hole. What do others think, is it just a waste of good money? Help

The Razor Gen II is a decent choice if you want a vortex.

The PST line and below is exactly what gained them the reputation for great customer service

That is why I am asking for some advice. I have three SWFA's. But not having a better quality scope I don't know if I am missing something.
You are missing something.

SWFA scopes are great buys in the sub $500 range. They were great buys in the $500 - $1000 range, but no more. That range has many more options now than it did 10 or even 5 years ago.

I wouldn't even consider an SWFA product over $1000, and I have two of them.

Last year I bought a Steiner P4Xi 4-16X56 for I think $750 - $800. In theory it shouldn't be all that much better than my SWFA 3-15X42. In practice it blows the SWFA away.

What is your budget, anyway?

Well, I would like to stay at around 1K. But I know that probably will not happen. After all that I read the Razor is more than likely in the future. As others have said look for a used one. I find it hard to buy used online for I do not use PayPal and the likes. It looks as most places have the Razor for around 2K. I feed that $1400 to $1500 used would be a great deal, and I see some offering used with rings. Also what rings have others used with the RPR?

I know you said you want to stick with Vortex because of the warranty but I’d also recommend you take a hard look at the bushnell.

You can get an LRTS for $750 and they have great glass, reliable and a lifetime warranty just like Vortex.

I decided last year to downgrade some equipment and went from a vortex AMG to the LRTS. It easily competes with anything up to the $1,500 range. The AMG was for sure better but not really $1,500 better IMO.

Any more when I deal with a private party sale or purchase through the internet, it goes through an escrow. I use Guntab because they support the 2nd Amendment: https://www.guntab.com/how-it-works

An escrow protects both the buyer and the seller.

Fuck Paypal
Yeah Paypal is well known as rabidly anti gun. They will flat out steal your money if the realize you are making a firearms related transaction by confiscating your money and then pointing out you violated their policies that state no gun stuff.

Reactions: 308pirate
What are the thoughts on this deal? It seems amazing... do these still hold a candle to the Razor, or similar optics?
These things smoke a PST and come pretty damn close to a Razor to my eye. I have 2 of the DMR's and 1 XRS. As long as this deal holds out at Midway there is no better option in that price.

There are many scopes for you to choose, but maybe you can find that Razor used. In these crazy times of high costs of gun related items, maybe you can find one within your budget. I'd recommend you not skimping on your glass. Your present scope is working fine, maybe just wait until you can afford the scope you really want.

Good Luck!

I hate to ask again but what rings are being used on a RPR with the Razor 4-27x56? Found a good price at Liberty Optic for the scope.

I hate to ask again but what rings are being used on a RPR with the Razor 4-27x56? Found a good price at Liberty Optic for the scope.

Mostly likely the PMR 1.46 with a flat rail like the RPR. A 20 MOA mount of the same height works as well.

I like spur mounts. I believe for somthing with a top rail on hand gaurd you need like 1.5 inch hieght. I also have seekins precision rings that work well on another set up. With 20moa rail you have alot of options.

Like mentioned several times the vortex razor is a great scope. Are their better? Yes. But for more money. If you want it new go with Liberty optics. Best bang for your buck is used with rings/mount in the PX Section. I had this scope. Used it on my GAP 260 for a bit. Took it to a couple long range classes. Every brand of top tier glass was there. Never felt limited compared to other scopes. Chances are I end up with another one. I have a couple S&B and Kahles scopes but I have a rifle in need for a scope and like the OP want it on a budget.